Fuel Tank Isolation and Divert with Inboard Pump Arrangement

Hi,

I have my fuel filter and pump arrangement as per the images attached. Ideally I’d like to incorporate an isolation tap AND a divert capability so I can drain the tank with minimum hassle. As a minimum I’d settle for just being able to easily isolate the flow from the tank.

Once the spare wheel is in place there’s very little room to work with.  Solutions I have come up with invariably fail as anything inserted into the spiral hose always result in kinks restricting flow. I’d be grateful for any suggestions/advice as to how I might achieve this or indeed images of installed solutions folk may have devised that I can steal with pride.

Thanks,

Paul

IMG_1635.jpeg

IMG_1087.png

Get a big bore outlet TRGB for the tank short bit of rubber to a fuel tap then to your pump Demon Tweeks.  

You could do something like Harry's (hopefully he doesn't mind me posting his picture) but use the appropriate ends for the valve to suit your needs. Make sure the valve is full flow.

317525698_HarrysTR5Filter.thumb.jpg.2c27d995d9c4486e56dc5a56a36f2e54.jpg

Thanks all for the responses.

I think I’ll look to replace the tank outlet and see if I can come up with an arrangement not dissimilar Harry’s above (thanks Kenrow). Please, can anyone advise me as to what the specification of the original outlet (part no. 151204) is.

Many thanks

On 3/13/2024 at 12:27 AM, Kenrow said:

You could do something like Harry's (hopefully he doesn't mind me posting his picture) but use the appropriate ends for the valve to suit your needs. Make sure the valve is full flow.

317525698_HarrysTR5Filter.thumb.jpg.2c27d995d9c4486e56dc5a56a36f2e54.jpg

+1 a very neat job. I  have done a similar install.

Bruce.

16 hours ago, Paulfc said:

I think I’ll look to replace the tank outlet and see if I can come up with an arrangement not dissimilar Harry’s above (thanks Kenrow). Please, can anyone advise me as to what the specification of the original outlet (part no. 151204) is.

Many thanks

Many of us including myself have the pump and filter located under the nearside wheel arch. this not only helps with keeping the pump cool, but creates plenty of space for a fuel tap under the tank as well as other small spares we all carry.

Third pic of EFI part of install. But you get the pic. No problem Kenrow

They are Italian taps and importers tend not to stock them these days Shame as my favourite tap.

Regards Harry

20191007_164916_resized.jpg

20210528_134433_resized.jpg

20190302_164612_resized.jpg

Hi Harry,

that looks like a nice tap.

Do you recall the inside diameter of the ball valve and ID of the smallest pipe fitting?

Can you provide a link please?

Many thanks,

Waldi

Here's my inside arrangement with a cooler outside. 

Works ok so far!

Andy

IMG_1979.jpeg

IMG_1972.jpeg

On 3/13/2024 at 7:27 PM, Paulfc said:

Many thanks

The pipe is 5/16 external diameter.  It has an double sided olive to seal it  gripped by the olive nut into a counterbore in the tank fitting   The primary bore Ii to the tank through the fitting is 5/16” clearance so a 5/16 pipe can pass through.    The olive nut is 1/2” unf thread.

view is of NOS original Triumph samples.

IMG_2556.jpeg

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT
18 hours ago, Waldi said:

Hi Harry,

that looks like a nice tap.

Do you recall the inside diameter of the ball valve and ID of the smallest pipe fitting?

Can you provide a link please?

Many thanks,

Waldi

Hi Waldi, just for info I got my tap from Revingtons. I don't recall price or diameters I am afraid.

Paul

Here is a petrol tap described as for 10 mm  hose.  I would check that is the bore of the hose to fit the barbed ends of the tap.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/354423350547?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=710-153316-527457-8&mkcid=2&itemid=354423350547&targetid=4585032215660919&device=c&mktype=&googleloc=&poi=&campaignid=554648192&mkgroupid=1302922387078119&rlsatarget=pla-4585032215660919&abcId=9323209&merchantid=87779&msclkid=0b28fe44f83c1e93b62b9bb0ce0dc427

All you will need is a screw in adaptor with 1/2" unf thread and a barbed 10 mm stem.  Then join with a length of 10 mm ethanol proof hose.

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Thanks Paul and Peter,

I would be happy to order from Neil Revington… if I lived in the UK.

I will look overhere.

Cheers,

Waldi

I used the same tap (I think) it is listed on carbuilder.com and has a 10mm bore.

https://www.carbuilder.com/uk/fuel-tap

Edit - Just seen its no longer available from them - but Peter has posted a comprehensive list

Chris

Edited by TRsixchris