I have a friend helping me with fitting my overhauled steering box at the week end. It has been in the garage for a long time and I have the front panel ready to lift out. I will need  new oil and what is the best. I sometimes use Opie oils. 

Any help available

Thanks Richard & B

Over here in the states we can get John Deere Cornhead grease.  A cornhead is a gearbox on a combine that experiences high loads and can be plagued with shaft seal leaks.  This lube is fairly solid until motion is applied to it at which point it liquifies.  I'm not sure what the availability is on your side of the pond.  I drilled/tapped the filler hole plug on the steering box itself for a grease fitting so I can service it with a grease gun.  

55 minutes ago, iain said:

I always use the Penrite semi fluid.

Same here.

Like Mastaphixa I also put a grease nipple in the filler plug and bought a small grease gun with a flexible hose just for the Penrite semi fluid. I also use it for the front trunions.

Charlie.

Thanks for the the fast answers and advice . It is raining again here again and the TR is on hold for the moment. The battery is on charge and the hard top and front panel are loose and need two men to lift them off the TR. Spring is coming ???

Richard & B

I now use a mix of 90 oil and the steering box grease. I think the grease is a bit too thick, the oil provides additional lubrication.

I now have to refit the front panel. It is in place and ready to be finished. I was looking at the bonnet spring and I need some advice how to bolt it n position so that the strong spring is not allowed to escape down into the engine bay, while I am trying to line it all up. ??

Please help Richard & B

That’s a neat trick. Strap the spring in a compressed state with cable ties and then remove it. I guess you need to be confident you’ve got enough cable ties to hold it. 

Rgds Ian

No it isn't a 'neat trick' Ian. Frankly, it is lunacy by someone who has no idea what forces he is dealing with. Anyone who would do that shouldn't be allowed within 20 feet of a car. 

4 hours ago, RobH said:

No it isn't a 'neat trick' Ian. Frankly, it is lunacy by someone who has no idea what forces he is dealing with. Anyone who would do that shouldn't be allowed within 20 feet of a car. 

I agree. 

The person who found that photo on an  American internet site and posted it needs reprimanding.

I am painting the spring and bracket today and will allow the paint to dry for 24 hours. I will be searching the garage for cable ties . I always find parts that I have lost but sometimes can not find what I am actually looking for.

Thanks Richard & B

just to make sense of the above threads a photo appeared of a cable tied compressed coil spring.

We consider this a dangerous example so have hidden from view.

John.

35 minutes ago, John Morrison said:

just to make sense of the above threads a photo appeared of a cable tied compressed coil spring.

John.

35 minutes ago, John Morrison said:

John.

I am quite ok with your action John.  

It is best not to have unsafe methods on view to those who log-in  to our forum, as we know a simple search refuses access.

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT
On 3/9/2024 at 7:47 PM, RobH said:

Thanks for the advice. I will be out trying to compress my spring this morning, as long as the wet weather goes away.