34 minutes ago, PXC said:

Also, can someone cast light on what a “rationalised gearbox” is? This is on the heritage certificate under the Equipment heading. Does it mean all synchromesh?

Thanks

Paul

Yes its the same through the range so a TR4 synchro box also.

Stuart.

4 hours ago, Ian Vincent said:

Usually when something is rationalised it means that some level of standardisation has been applied, so I would expect it to be a reference to perhaps the fitting of a TR4 gearbox. Just a thought. 

Yes my thoughts too but I do not know for certain.  Beyond the build of TCF cars was involving TR4 engine and gearbox.

The "A" means an "A" type Laycock overdrive, as opposed to a "J" type.  all TR boxes are synchromesh, but a TR3A one would only have synchro on 2nd, 3rd, & top, whereas a TR4 (& TR3B ?) has synchro on all forward gears.

Bob

Thanks Bob

I’m learning something new every day!

I contacted Macy’s garage in Tip City, Ohio - they rebuilt the engine to a high spec in 2011, and ran it up out of the car. They warned me that if, as the current owner believes, that engine has never been run since 2011 (which seems to be the case) that the engine rebuild by Macy’s should add zero to the value of the car 13 years later. They say they certainly did not prepare the engine for such a long period of storage - they did not “pickle” it in their words. 

Interestingly, the car does not have its original engine now. The engine currently in the car - TCF1904E - is not the original listed on the heritage certificate - TCF1527E. I can only assume that 1904 was the one that received the full rebuild by Macy’s, as Macy’s didn’t record engine numbers back then.

regards

Paul

If you are really enthusiastic for a 3B, you could do worse by scanning down the 40 or so Sidescreen cars that are for sale here in France on ‘Le Bon Coin’ (www.leboncoin.fr - in French of course)

It’s the equivalent of Gumtree - Ebay doesn’t go well here.

Currently there are 2 TR3Bs for sale.

Most of the (overpriced?) offerings are from dealers, most trying to complete their retirement fund with a quick flip, but some are more professional than others.

The sidescreen market has taken a nose dive and there are (too) many on offer. Some for a very long time. A good haggle is to be anticipated and there may be joy at the end of it.

BUT, Brexit has shot down any hope of an easy transfer to Blighty, but it can be done.

james

Thanks James

I didn’t specifically search for a TR3B, I just found this one on EBay. It wasn’t shown as a B, just a TR3, but the heritage certificate  made it clear. 
I’d like to find a TR2 or 3. I started my search a few years ago looking for a specific TR3A which my uncle used to own when I was young, over 50 years ago. But I’ve given up on that search now. 

Are your comments about a surplus of sidescreen cars specific to France only? Or do you think the same applies in UK?

I agree with your comment on dealers in general, I prefer private sales, but so many cars seem to come to market through dealers, rather than their owners selling them direct. I wonder why that is?

regards

Paul

34 minutes ago, PXC said:

Thanks James

I didn’t specifically search for a TR3B, I just found this one on EBay. It wasn’t shown as a B, just a TR3, but the heritage certificate  made it clear. 
I’d like to find a TR2 or 3. I started my search a few years ago looking for a specific TR3A which my uncle used to own when I was young, over 50 years ago. But I’ve given up on that search now. 

Are your comments about a surplus of sidescreen cars specific to France only? Or do you think the same applies in UK?

I agree with your comment on dealers in general, I prefer private sales, but so many cars seem to come to market through dealers, rather than their owners selling them direct. I wonder why that is?

regards

Paul

There’s 73 TR3s listed on Car and Classic at the moment from private and Dealers.

We could open up a new, and even pinned, topic on this theme for those looking for a car!

With the 73 TRs listed in C&C, the 98 in Scout 24 and the 40 in Le Bon Coin, that seems to me an awful lot of sidescreen cars chasing new owners in Europe. Depending on your taste for a right or left hooker, of course.

Inevitably there will be duplicates in these listings.

I can only comment on those for sale here in France. My observation is that most of them have been sourced in the US as they are LHD with speedometer in miles and were probably imported before the US$ went through the roof. Many have been in the same sales yard for more than a year and it would appear that many of the dealers are ‘hung’ with them at around 32000€ on a falling market. There is a even a 3A with a ‘Stamped Book’, ie a write off, for sale at 13 000€ - down from 18000€! 

The Sidescreen car, with some exceptions, has become the choice of us silverbacks. Nostalgia isn’t what it used to be.

james

12 minutes ago, james christie said:

The Sidescreen car, with some exceptions, has become the choice of us silverbacks.

It would be interesting to know the age range (and numbers of each age) of sidescreen owners of members of the TR register. Probably not be too difficult to do a database query and would not infringe any privacy laws as no names would be included.

1 minute ago, james christie said:

Evidently the statistics show that you are too young for such a car….

james

Haha thank you I’ll wait till I’m a bit older:P

3 hours ago, james christie said:

We could open up a new, and even pinned, topic on this theme for those looking for a car!

With the 73 TRs listed in C&C, the 98 in Scout 24 and the 40 in Le Bon Coin, that seems to me an awful lot of sidescreen cars chasing new owners in Europe. Depending on your taste for a right or left hooker, of course.

Inevitably there will be duplicates in these listings.

I can only comment on those for sale here in France. My observation is that most of them have been sourced in the US as they are LHD with speedometer in miles and were probably imported before the US$ went through the roof. Many have been in the same sales yard for more than a year and it would appear that many of the dealers are ‘hung’ with them at around 32000€ on a falling market. There is a even a 3A with a ‘Stamped Book’, ie a write off, for sale at 13 000€ - down from 18000€! 

The Sidescreen car, with some exceptions, has become the choice of us silverbacks. Nostalgia isn’t what it used to be.

james

I’m not clear what you are saying about prices in the UK James. Are you saying sidescreen cars ARE reducing in price, or that they SHOULD be reducing because there is more supply than demand?
I’m not seeing a reduction in asking price in UK. 

Regards

Paul

30 minutes ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

As I have 3 TRs do I divide my age by the quantity of cars to lower the average age?

Looks like it may be a good idea!

51 minutes ago, PXC said:

I’m not clear what you are saying about prices in the UK James. Are you saying sidescreen cars ARE reducing in price, or that they SHOULD be reducing because there is more supply than demand?

Paul, I have no observations to make at all about anything in the UK, which I fled 45 years ago. 

One consequence was that I converted my 3A from RHD to LHD, the result is that it was one of a few and is now one of many…

james

18 hours ago, PXC said:

I’m not seeing a reduction in asking price in UK. 

Regards

Paul

I think many are overpriced, based on owners wanting to get back what they paid a few years ago, or dealers wanting large mark ups. This causes a glut on the market and rumours that no one wants to buy sidescreen cars any more.  I have my TR3a insured for £20k, but if I was to sell I would be happy at around £15k. Classics are the same as any motor, you buy it, you use and enjoy it, you sell at a loss, even if you spent a fortune restoring it. It is true that the age demographic shows that most owners, myself included at 68 yrs young, means there are going to be fewer buyers around and plenty of cars to choose from so unfortunately prices will have to be realistic to sell. It seems that you need to own a Golf, or any 70s Ford to make money at the moment.

Ralph

A few months back we did a survey of our members with the results published in our magazine, Sidescreen. 

We asked for the age demographic of our members. The Register here is a bit different to elsewhere, it is a sidescreen only club, but my observation is that all classic car clubs have the same demographic.

Copy attached. I hope you can open it, if not let me know.

Enjoy.

https://trregister.azurewebsites.net/documents/sidescreens/jgc5nax0.pdf

29 minutes ago, John McCormack said:

A few months back we did a survey of our members with the results published in our magazine, Sidescreen. 

We asked for the age demographic of our members. The Register here is a bit different to elsewhere, it is a sidescreen only club, but my observation is that all classic car clubs have the same demographic.

Copy attached. I hope you can open it, if not let me know.

Enjoy.

https://trregister.azurewebsites.net/documents/sidescreens/jgc5nax0.pdf

Managed to open OK….very interesting, but not a surprising conclusion to the age of members survey. Thought the magazine was interesting and inclusive, great to see positive things down under.