Column mounted Tr6 overdrive lever switch

I had a problem a couple of years ago with the column overdrive switch on my CP series TR6. I can't advise on replacement switches, and suggest that it's worth trying to repair the original first. On mine,  a wire had broken where it connects to a switch contact. Trimming the offending wire and soldering back to the contact made a sound repair.  I also cleaned the switch contact faces for good measure.

Nigel

The new column switches fail early regularly.

I would definitely try to repair it first.
A second hand original switch would be next.

If you need to solder a wire contact, this is the time to replace the thick wires by a modern type with thinner insulation. This makes installation in the narrow guide plate under the column easier.

Waldi

My friend’s new switch failed within one year Michael. 
I soldered a broken wire on mine (it is an original switch) during my resto, it still works.

16 hours ago, michaeldavis39 said:

Unfortunately I'm useless at soldering and the part where the wires were factory soldered looks quite delicate Waldi- its disappointing to hear that the replacements fail early- have you actually had this experience or is it just something you heard??

I got one from eBay a few years ago and its been fine so far. I'm sure they all come from the same manufacturer.

I went a bit heretical following a general collapse of the orginal column switches and shroud and fitted the Revington ‘modernised’ kit - https://www.revingtontr.com/product/rtr8328-1k/name/switch-set-stalk-type-no-ctr-horn

Not to most people’s taste I’m sure but works like a charm and have the o/d located on a neat little button on the dash which works nicely with the Revington o/d logic unit.

• 4 weeks later...

Mine wasn't faulty but I found it confusing to use so replaced it with a modified sedan shift lever.  To my mind it is one of the best mods I've made to my car.

17099398232820.jpg

15 hours ago, KiwiTR6 said:

Mine wasn't faulty but I found it confusing to use so replaced it with a modified sedan shift lever.  To my mind it is one of the best mods I've made to my car.

17099398232820.jpg

Nice modification well done 

Challenge is the feeble operating wire that passes down through the stick.  Ask any MGB owner!

40 minutes ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Challenge is the feeble operating wire that passes down through the stick.  Ask any MGB owner!

Use the modern thin wall stuff, it fits better, biggest problem is actually further down where you need to route it away from the selectors and the lower gaiter ring.

Stuart.

I'm toying with the idea of fitting a home-made logic unit. What has help me up so far (apart from an unsuccessful attempt at using ICs) is what momentary switch to use. I've seen the various alternatives others here have used. What I'm wondering is whether the original stalk switch can be modified to momentary operation. Has anyone looked into this?

Cheers,
JC

16 hours ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Thanks but I can't take the credit.  A local guy supplies them  He bends the tube to suit the TR6.

I'm pretty sure it came with the wiring, but a little effort is definitely required to work around the linkage at the base and ensure nothing gets damaged in use.