I am trying to add new oil to the gearbox. The dipstick is  difficult to reach and the clean oil does not show up easily. How can I improve it so that I can see where the level is after my top up of 200ml. I was thinking of wrapping the dipstick in masking tape but I am nervous about losing anything in the gearbox.

If I touch it with a clean finger there is some clean oil above the lower mark but it is impossible to see any top level. It is tempting to use some wooden dowel and a pencil to add level marks.

Please help me with some answers,

Thanks Richard & B

Thanks for the reply. The dipstick has a small diameter and if I drill holes it will be weaker and the end  has a chance of snapping off while I am trying to fit and remove it.

Richard & B

Many dipsticks have holes as standard. They needn't be so large as to weaken it.

oil1.thumb.jpg.15152e10b17ca86c336806f16d4c7bfa.jpg

Alternatively, touch the dipstick against blue shop towel. It will dampen the towel sufficiently enough to note the level, even if the oil is clear.

oil2.thumb.jpg.78402481d5c24f2a8a567d8b01cf794f.jpg

Make a wooden dipstick   The oil will show up better on the bit of dowelling 

Just be sure where the top of the gearbox case is with reference to your bit of dowelling 

Compare the oil mark on the wood to your metal dipstick 

You could even file a flat on the dowelling and drill small marker holes for visual help.

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Deggers' advice, to " touch the dipstick against blue shop towel" I very much agree with!   But his picture wasn't very demonstrative, and  'blue' towel, the standard workshop issue isn't necessary, any paper will do, kitchen paper towel is excellent.   Cheap as chips, easy to do, no need to modify the dip stick!

Lots of images online to show the technique. Here's one.

image.png.eb94ae3d21fea3fb67006d747d7bd62e.png

33 minutes ago, Deggers said:

Fair point John.

C minus for effort. Must try harder in future!   :D

As written on a school report once….”He continually fails to achieve the exceptionally low standards he sets himself”

2 hours ago, RobH said:

Cooo something else to put in the tool box and get annoyed with when the batteries corrode.   I have taken to removing batteries from hand held devices that only get used occasionally 

Just now, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Cooo something else to put in the tool box and get annoyed with when the batteries corrode.   I have taken to removing batteries from hand held devices that only get used occasionally 

Me too from bitter experience.

Stuart.

And me!  Its bl**dy annoying to find the batteries are flat because the thing hasn't got a proper switch, just one of those power buttons, and has run them down on standby.  If there is room in the device I sometimes fit a proper miniature switch. 

I have 3 digital caliper gauges.

A cheap £20.00 one that I have to take the batteries out after use as or it goes flat in a week. (batteries £78.00 per year)

A mid priced £75.00 one by Moore & Wright that has an off switch, but still goes flat every other month. (batteries £9.00 per year)

A very expensive 200 mm fluid proof Mitutoyo one that has no external switch for off, but an auto off internal switch. Replacement cost £270.00.  That instrument lasts for 6 months minimum.  Sadly it is way out of calibration, which is why my son fished it out of the skip at Crystalox.  (batteries £3.00 per year) 

The price assumes CR2032 batteries cost £1.50 each.

I have 2 digital calipers. The older (posher) one will flatten a battery in a month. The other (from Lidl) lasts over a year.

Bob

My steam-powered caliper gauge never runs out, 'cos it runs on my steam!

Who needs a digital gauge?    Or a micrometer?

Bah , Humbug!

John

PS Thanks, Deggers, I wasn't being critical, can see why some might have thought so!

Thanks for the discussion. I am doing all this work on the oil because my o/d will  not connect. It was working well when I put the TR away before Christmas

I have searched the garage for my torch. I  think that it is the one that I came across  last week with a cable with USB connection. I like searching the garage and finding my cable ties collection and other tools etc. that I can not usually find .But the torch is hiding.

However I used the kitchen paper plan and I have oil level between the two marks on the dipstick. I would like to add a further 200ml  of oil and the level might be over the top mark. Would this cause a problem when on the road??

I took the opportunity to touch up some very small defects in the paint on the front panel. I would like to give it a road test so that I could check the o/d which was not connecting. I have added 600ml of special oil which should be enough ?? Once the paint is hard I will try a journey round the local roads.

I have to help look after my daughter's dogs so It may be next week.

Thanks for the help so far.

Richard & B 

On 1/30/2024 at 4:11 PM, john.r.davies said:

Bah , Humbug!

John

PS Thanks, Deggers, I wasn't being critical, can see why some might have thought so!

Your eyes are probably better than mine.   Helpful too for nipping from real measurements to metric.

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT
On 1/30/2024 at 4:11 PM, john.r.davies said:

Bah , Humbug!

John

+1

I have occasionally been tempted to buy a digital gauge when I have seen them on special in Lidl but this thread has put me off that idea.  My Mituyoyo gauge is at least 35 years old and works perfectly.  I periodically check it against my micrometer and it’s still accurate.  It’s amazing how often I use it.

Rgds Ian

Edited by Ian Vincent

I had occasion to compare readings from my Lidl digital caliper against a Mituyoyo digital micrometer which I bought second hand. The resolution was not there, as not as many decimal points are shown, but it was totaly accurate. quite impressed by that for such a cheap device.

I used to be able to easily read the vernier scales on these things, but these days it's a struggle without a fair amount of magnification, so a digital version makes life much easier.

Bob