As anybody tried cleaning back to some where near original things like the screen wash water bottle, I am renewing the wiper motor on my 4A with a TR6 one and whilst working in that area I keep looking at the windscreen wash water bottle. its all yellow its an original Lucas one so I don't want to throw it away but if possible clean it. I have looked at google and its suggested White Vinegar or Peroxide there's even a few video's on youtube showing using the peroxide method but that also involves direct sunlight great if you live in California not so easy if you live in the North of England in January. Has anybody come up with any other methods of cleaning yellowed plastic.

Phil.

11 minutes ago, phil Dean said:

a few video's on youtube showing using the peroxide method but that also involves direct sunlight

Sunlight on plastics is not generally a good idea. The UV light and heat degrades most plastics and in fact it is why they go yellow in the first place.

The yellow isn't usually chemical staining - it is the material itself which has aged through changes in the polymer chains. I think most of the 'cleaning' methods you see are for thick, hard plastics and remove the degraded outer skin of the material by light scouring.  That might not work on thin semi-flexible plastics like a washer bottle.  

https://polymer-additives.specialchem.com/tech-library/article/yellowing-of-plastic

best outcome we used to have was to put the plastic bits like washer bottle, overflow bottle lamp lenses in the domestic dish washer on a delicate or 'glass' cycle  They came out quite cleaned but yellow staining if reduced, still remained.

35 minutes ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

best outcome we used to have was to put the plastic bits like washer bottle, overflow bottle lamp lenses in the domestic dish washer on a delicate or 'glass' cycle  They came out quite cleaned but yellow staining if reduced, still remained.

+1,   Dishwasher good for cleaning all sorts of mechanical and plastic parts , make sure the other half/partner, wife etc is somewhere else at the time!!!, ....... don't use dishwasher powder/tablets on aluminium parts, instead use Oxalic Acid, you'd be surprised just how well this works.                                                                                                                   Cheers Rob

I have tried to address this problem as well - my bottle was quite yellow and also had a lot of rust staining which I partially removed in the dishwasher.  I then got a vapour blaster to have a go and it definitely removed some of the yellowing and most, but not all, of the rust staining - he did both inside and out but it was still a bit patchy.

I'm not at home at the, moment so cant show you any photos, but will try and get some when back

Cheers Rich

Some of the Internet recipies do work on some plastics, especially the concentrated hydrogen peroxide (the 3% stuff from the drug store won't do much) and UV light formulas.

They can only really cure surface conditions on certain opaque plastics though.  Translucent plastics like the washer bottles have chemical changes in the bulk material that surface treatments won't be able th reach.

Ed

Dishwasher is great for plastic parts but no good for engine parts and results in a shattering of domestic bliss when you get caught!

Ouch that hurts!

Dum as it sounds adding rice and water to the bottle and letting it stand for a while does reduce the staining considerably. The rice swells and absorbs the water retaining the stain. Just dont try and eat the rice later.

Alan

17 hours ago, PodOne said:

Dishwasher is great for plastic parts but no good for engine parts and results in a shattering of domestic bliss when you get caught!

Ouch that hurts!

You want to try tempering steel parts in the domestic oven after they have been flame hardened 

10 hours ago, phil Dean said:

I am here to tell you the White Vinegar or caustic soda hasn't worked the washer bottle does look a lot cleaner through and a little less yellow.

Phil

Cut out round ‘lenses’ from the yellowed plastic and sell as anti dazzle driving glasses?