Underseal removal

At some early point in its life, perhaps the US dealership, a bitumen-like underseal was applied to the wheel arches and surrounding area of my '4. Whoever put it on did a great job as the steel is intact but I am having huge trouble in removing it. Some of it flakes off but generally I am hammering it off in tiny sections, it has a terrific grip still. The picture shows my efforts with hammer and big screwdriver, the curved wheel arch section took about an hour plus I am pock- marking the surface.

I'm attempting to refurbish the body so planned to re-underseal the underbody with the appropriate product. However, am I wasting my time? If it's on so well perhaps just leave it?

Or some vicious chemical? Nitromoors (sp?)

Comments please ...

Regards, Adrian 

underseal removal 30Dec.jpg

Hot air paint stripper gun any use with a narrow scraper?    I did that job on the underbonnet area of my car and it took me a week.   I washed and rubbed with petrol soaked scotch brite to get the last bits off.

12 minutes ago, Andrew W said:

I sprayed mine with white spirit from a garden sprayer. Give it a few hours to soak in and it scraped off easily with a wooden spatula. The residue wiped off with a white spirit soaked rag and left the paint unmarked. 

+1 or petrol.

Hi Adrian,

I used a 1" wood chisel and hammer + hot air gun to soften it.

White Spirit to clean the surface.

Nitromors is quite useless these days - Have a look at StarChem SynStrip   HERE      Do a search fore it. Itr can be as cheap as £30/5Litres.

Be careful it really works - especially on skin.

Roger

17 hours ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Hot air paint stripper gun any use with a narrow scraper?    I did that job on the underbonnet area of my car and it took me a week.   I washed and rubbed with petrol soaked scotch brite to get the last bits off.

Just bought a TR6 and for some reason my bonnet underside has been painted with under seal I think …..a) why b) how can I get the stuff off or does it serve a purpose?

Morning Sir hector - Sir, doffed cap etc.!

Welcome to our forum,

seen this before it was probobly Ziebarted when new, horrible looking but

will satnd you in good stead, if its still on the rest of the car.

OR, is could be an attempt at spayed on sound deadening

John.

Just remembered, if you soften with White Spirit……..be patient, you can then use a plastic body filler applicator to remove the goo! The benefit being it won’t scratch the underlying paint, which if the stuff has done it’s job will be in good condition.

22 hours ago, adriantr4 said:

At some early point in its life, perhaps the US dealership, a bitumen-like underseal was applied to the wheel arches and surrounding area of my '4. Whoever put it on did a great job as the steel is intact but I am having huge trouble in removing it. Some of it flakes off but generally I am hammering it off in tiny sections, it has a terrific grip still. The picture shows my efforts with hammer and big screwdriver, the curved wheel arch section took about an hour plus I am pock- marking the surface.

I'm attempting to refurbish the body so planned to re-underseal the underbody with the appropriate product. However, am I wasting my time? If it's on so well perhaps just leave it?

Or some vicious chemical? Nitromoors (sp?)

Comments please ...

Regards, Adrian 

underseal removal 30Dec.jpg

I suspect what they used is Raptor coat its typically used in the US for pickup truck bed liners, hot air gun and scraper is probably one of the better ways to remove but not a five minute job. I once had to strip the entire underside of a TR5 shell before having it blasted, it took me a week!

Stuart.

Stuart.

Marks TR5 134.jpg

3 hours ago, stuart said:

I suspect what they used is Raptor coat its typically used in the US for pickup truck bed liners, hot air gun and scraper is probably one of the better ways to remove but not a five minute job. I once had to strip the entire underside of a TR5 shell before having it blasted, it took me a week!

Stuart.

Stuart.

Marks TR5 134.jpg

Looked like it worked though Stuart !

Thanks to all responders. I bought a hot air gun, but also tried painting on with white spirit. Both approaches work, but white spirit is very fumy so breathing it in probably not the best idea.

However, it's hard going. Where my underseal is a thin coat it peels off ok when given a good blast with the heat gun, but when on thickly its like scraping chewing gum. Anyhow, I'll persist and use the spirit to clean up. I don't have to get it all off and where my the underseal is on well and difficult to access I'll just leave it.

The goal is to tidy up the bodywork, and I 'll brush on paints or products for the interior and underneath areas and let the professionals paint the exterior. 

Thanks Adrian 

Adrian - if you are not worried about the paint under the underseal, then I found the easiest way was to use a 1-1 1/2 inch steel flat bladed scraper and just round off the corners a bit so they don't dig into the steel, and then chip the underseal off with a sort of stabbing operation using the corner to get under the underseal, and then it sort of flakes off leaving the paint underneath intact apart from scratches from the stabbing operation.

I tried the heat gun and solvents approach and ended up with a gooey sticky mess - the above method  is completely dry ( wear some goggles) and actually quite quick once you get the hang of it -I found it  best to use a fairly stiff bladed scraper to get maximum impact.

Hope this helps 

Cheers Rich

If you have access to the back of the panel, apply the heat from that side, so you're softening the layer of underseal that's stuck to the panel, rather than trying to soften the whole lot. I found a kettle of boiling water over my inner wheel arches helped strip the underseal in large chunks, rather than turning it into 'chewing gum'.

Pete

I just saw a USA web site post that suggested an infra red heater lamp would warn a large area for scraping the under seal off. They seem to have this problem a lot in the USA because of the enthusiastic application of this type of goo by dealers in the past. 
Keith W

Salut Adrain

J'ai utilisé mon outil multifonction avec raclette

regarder la photo

et j'obtiens ce résultat sur la couverture et sur d'autres parties du corps

vous avez la plaque d'identification du corps sur cette zone

tool.png

capo1.jpg

Sorry for this mistake 

it's write in french

Hi Adrian

I used my multi-tool with flat spatula