New engine mountings, having difficulty fitting them

14 minutes ago, stuart said:

There has always been the option of washers to tilt the engine slightly for a better fit due to the vagaries of chassis construction on earlier cars item 79 here https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/tr2-4a/engine/engines-components/external-engine-tr2-4a-1953-67.html

Stuart.

The notorious lumps of metal are bolted on. I need to drop the suspension to get good access to the nuts, then try engine with the current engine plate. If still not right I will have to source a TR4/4a engine plate. My fear is having to time the camshaft which I have never done before.

2 minutes ago, Paul Garvey said:

The notorious lumps of metal are bolted on. I need to drop the suspension to get good access to the nuts, then try engine with the current engine plate. If still not right I will have to source a TR4/4a engine plate. My fear is having to time the camshaft which I have never done before.

See what happens once youve got the blocks out of the way, I suspect they will come out without removing the engine just lift it enough on your engine crane. Theres loads of info on here about timing the cam but if you dont disturb anything except to remove sprockets and end cam bearing then you shouldnt need to retime.

Stuart.

FWIW this is the measurement between the two webs on a 3a front plate, see how it compares with yours 

Stuart

IMG_6686.jpeg

IMG_6684.jpeg

It looks like your plate has been worked on looking at the LH mount bracket shape and weld.  Perhaps it has been reduced due to breakage re welded shorter and the metal blocks used to replace the reduced measurements/amount .

Just a guess  Roy

3 hours ago, stuart said:

There has always been the option of washers to tilt the engine slightly for a better fit due to the vagaries of chassis construction on earlier cars item 79 here https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/tr2-4a/engine/engines-components/external-engine-tr2-4a-1953-67.html

Stuart.

Yeah I know,

but mine are slotted, 

easy to get in and out.

German engineering.

Transforms a simple TR to rocket technology.

:lol:

Edited by Z320
43 minutes ago, Z320 said:

Yeah I know,

but mine are slotted, 

easy to get in and out.

German engineering.

Transforms a simple TR to rocket technology.

:lol:

I always do that anyway as until youve got the engine in and all the carbs and manifolds fitted you cant tell if you need them ;)

Werner Von Braun eat your heart out ;):lol:

Stuart.

FYI - adding the slotted washers to lift the front of the engine slightly, can also give you just enough clearance between the steering rack and the the fan extension, to be able to remove/add the fan belt. Just be mindful of the clearance between the top of the radiator and the bonnet brace.

Jim 

On 12/20/2023 at 7:46 PM, Dale  Moore said:

Browsing Tr 3 and 4 front plates show the nearside bracket on the 4 is chamfered at 45°, which yours has.  Why not just get rid of the blocks and see if the std flex mounts fit then? 

Dale

Dale

You are absolutely right there are 2 things that differentiate the 3 and 4 front engine plates. The one you have highlighted and with the timing cover of the 3 has an elongated hole about the camshaft whereas the 4 has an oval hole there. That means mine has the TR4 plate

On 12/21/2023 at 1:27 PM, stuart said:

FWIW this is the measurement between the two webs on a 3a front plate, see how it compares with yours 

Stuart

IMG_6686.jpeg

IMG_6684.jpeg

Hi Stuart

Firstly Rob Taylor sends his regards (if you can remember him). Mine is the 4 engine plate due to the 2 differentiating areas.

But a big thanks for your help.

On 12/21/2023 at 1:10 PM, Paul Garvey said:

Hi

This is a long shot.......but

The car was built by a Chris Hill who lived near Mansfield at the time. Does anyone know Chris Hill so I can ask him why the metal lumps were fitted (even though I hope to get them off the car.)

He bought the vast majority of the parts from TR Enterprises. I have contacted them as 1 of the owners knew the car and Chris Hill and after  the Xmas break they will see if they have any way of contacting Chris.

I have the address when he built the car but the telephone number does not connect so I am assuming he has moved.

A long shot but has anyone a contact for Chris Hill?

On 12/21/2023 at 1:15 PM, stuart said:

See what happens once youve got the blocks out of the way, I suspect they will come out without removing the engine just lift it enough on your engine crane. Theres loads of info on here about timing the cam but if you dont disturb anything except to remove sprockets and end cam bearing then you shouldnt need to retime.

Stuart.

Hi Stuart

This shows a screwdriver through the lump of metal and chassis, I suspect this is the hole where the mountings should have been bolted on from underneath without the lump of metal. To the right of the screwdriver blade you can just see one of the nuts securing the metal lump, I assume there is another further in so after Xmas I am dropping the suspension to get a better access the what  I think will be 2 nuts.

I must say to all who have contributed a big thank you. I only switched to TR's from MG t types  this year so it has been a steep learning curve and I am impressed with all the help.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year1703327714534.thumb.jpg.ad10c37538fcc21c6eac6cdfe70894bb.jpg1703327714534.thumb.jpg.ad10c37538fcc21c6eac6cdfe70894bb.jpg1703327714534.thumb.jpg.ad10c37538fcc21c6eac6cdfe70894bb.jpg1703327714534.thumb.jpg.ad10c37538fcc21c6eac6cdfe70894bb.jpg

There are two holes in the crossmember and the engine is mounted in the rear of the two, I wonder how steep your top hose must have been angled at with the engine lifted that high.

These are the uprated LR mounts fitted to mine.

Stuart

IMG_6700.jpeg

IMG_6698.jpeg

Edited by stuart
On 12/21/2023 at 1:15 PM, stuart said:

Stuart.

Hi

The lumps of iron are out, waiting for a friend to give me a hand to put the engine back in the original place.

IMG_20231227_141202.jpg

17 hours ago, Paul Garvey said:

The engine is now in the car. The metal lumps are out of the car sat on the bench.

I take it it was a lot easier to fit the mountings now as well. You didnt happen to save an underbonnet picture from the original advert did you or before you took the engine out? Just curious as to how the top hose fitted with the extra height of the engine.

Stuart.

3 hours ago, stuart said:

I take it it was a lot easier to fit the mountings now as well. You didnt happen to save an underbonnet picture from the original advert did you or before you took the engine out? Just curious as to how the top hose fitted with the extra height of the engine.

Stuart.

The only photo I have is blurred but you can see the hose slopes from the engine to the radiator.

Hose.jpg

On 12/19/2023 at 5:55 PM, Bleednipple said:

Had similar struggle earlier this year, had a pretty similar distance off as in your pic . All I can say is a meaty pry-bar, a piece of scaffold pipe and a big lump hammer eventually resolved it. With a lot of indelicate language. 

If anyone knows a more technical way, I'd love to hear it for next time.

Nigel

Nigel

I find just putting the nuts on the threaded bolts a tiny bit on the chassis side of the mounts allows enough room to prise them onto the engine plate and slot through, then tighten up both sides. Always a squeeze and shove job, but usually not big hammer action!

regards

Tony 

I agree with Tony get one side on but loose on nuts both the one to the chassis and one to the engine bracket. I then found it easier to loosley bolt the other side to the engine mounting bracket with a jack supporting the sump via a big flat piece of wood covering most of the sump to spread the load then using a good old bit of 3 be 2 leaver it over and down so bolt head finds the hole in the chassis . Fiddly but do able.

Phil

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/19/2023 at 6:28 PM, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

What has happened to the inner ring of the front crank pulley?   One half looks shattered.

Having done a bit of research on the front crank pulley. I think it is from a MGB. Does anyone have a MGB to confirm please.

It is the pulley used in most of the front pulley modification kits for TR,  and the one pictured in the original post photos looks like one.

On 1/17/2024 at 2:41 PM, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

It is the pulley used in most of the front pulley modification kits for TR,  and the one pictured in the original post photos looks like one.

Thank you for this information, if in the future I wish to change the pulley does the pulley the Moss supply fit straight on with no further modification?

1 hour ago, Paul Garvey said:

Thank you for this information, if in the future I wish to change the pulley does the pulley the Moss supply fit straight on with no further modification?

If it is a pulley for MGB of the same diameter YES.    Part no 12H963.