Gentlemen,

I bought a 4” angle grinder to use with fibre pads to remove the paint from the panels of my TR4.  I used it yesterday with a cutting disc to cut some metal angle to brace the door gaps. I was surprised at the speed of rotation and feel it would be to fast for paint removal hence my question.

Is there a simple device that I could buy to reduce the speed of my angle grinder( mains powered Makita)?

Thanks

Graham

10 hours ago, Grahamgl said:

Gentlemen,

I bought a 4” angle grinder to use with fibre pads to remove the paint from the panels of my TR4.  I used it yesterday with a cutting disc to cut some metal angle to brace the door gaps. I was surprised at the speed of rotation and feel it would be to fast for paint removal hence my question.

Is there a simple device that I could buy to reduce the speed of my angle grinder( mains powered Makita)?

Thanks

Graham

I have a 4.5" Clarke angle grinder that I've had for years and used extensively when I was rebuilding my car.  I used fibre pads from Frost and as long as I didn't catch them on a sharp edge, (in which case they were shredded in seconds) they were fine running at the full speed of the angle grinder and they removed paint a treat and left a perfect surface for applying primer.

Rgds Ian

Huge fan of these from Screwfix -Non woven preparation wheel no.  606JJ.

At about seven quid I found them great at removing paint but make sure you keep moving it about as it can generate substantial heat and cause panel distortion.

I used about seven or eight to remove all the primer and light rust from all the inside and outside of all my panels.

Cheers Neil

31 minutes ago, Xmas6 said:

Huge fan of these from Screwfix -Non woven preparation wheel no.  606JJ.

At about seven quid I found them great at removing paint but make sure you keep moving it about as it can generate substantial heat and cause panel distortion.

I used about seven or eight to remove all the primer and light rust from all the inside and outside of all my panels.

Cheers Neil

Those look very similar to the items I bought from Frost. 

There is a mechanical device called Safe-D-Speeder which reduces the speed of a drill.  I bought one decades ago and a few still seem to be available on ebay

Ian Cornish

On 11/15/2023 at 7:04 AM, Grahamgl said:

Gentlemen,

Thanks

Graham

I also found mains powered angle grinders are too fast and fierce for paint removal application. I have had a mains powered Bosch for years that runs at 11,500 rpm.  V good for cutting and heavy grinding.

I recently bought a Einhell battery model as I wanted a tool more convenient and safer than trailing leads.  It did that and then I found that its speed 8,500rpm was just right for light grinding/smoothing and absolutely right for paint removal using poly abrasive wheels. 

Battery models all run slower than mains.  Recommended. 

David B