Anyone have experience of these remote battery isolating switches

I have one of these that sometimes needs tightening a second time, so was looking at replacing it. These are only rated at 125 amp, perhaps that is why mine is starting to get temperamental

Please wait while image is uploading...

The remote control version looks a good idea

kc

Screenshot 2023-10-17 at 13.41.05.png

The remote control version looks tempting but at £15 I would be doubtful to the quality of the relay given the current requirements and unlike other methods represents another point of failure on a dark night in the wet!

For the sake of popping the bonnet I fitted the battery disconnect. You can always pocket the screw and employ other methods to disable the car.

Andy

You can get similar systems that are lower rated and work well in other circuits that are required for a car to run.

Tim

For it to work this switch requires power to the relay coil, but the same circuit powers the receiver, so the unit draws power all the time.  They say the receiver drain alone is 3mA and operating power is 1.8W i.e. 150mA.

That means when you switch off the ignition there will still be 150mA drawn unless you switch this off with the remote too.  Not a problem when leaving the car for a few hours or even the odd day but it will be important to remember to do this when leaving the car for a length of time, else the battery will drain.  If you forgot and left it on for a week, the drain would be 7 x 24 x .15 = 25 Ah - so your battery would be pretty flat.  

11 hours ago, Tim D. said:

You can get similar systems that are lower rated and work well in other circuits that are required for a car to run.

Tim

Hi Tim 

Any systems you would recommend?

Andy

I've got the removable key as I don't want to add modern automation to our car. Look here, they're less than £30 and easy-as to fit and work a treat!

(PS> My insurer gave me a £5 discount for having it)

On 10/18/2023 at 9:30 AM, PodOne said:

Hi Tim 

Any systems you would recommend?

Andy

Something like this from amazon

Tim

Screenshot_20231019_221809_Amazon Shopping.jpg

I do use the one that KC posted above with the green knob. I got it to save the battery and to date it does seem to make a big difference to the battery holding its charge. It takes less than a minute to pop the bonnet and isolate or reconnect. Over the summer the car gets used when and as much as I can, but in the winter I’m reluctant to take it out unless its dry / no salt. So in winter the battery doesn’t get many charges but this manual isolator has made a difference with keeping the battery charged & car starts fine.

1 hour ago, Martin50 said:

I do use the one that KC posted above with the green knob. I got it to save the battery and to date it does seem to make a big difference to the battery holding its charge. It takes less than a minute to pop the bonnet and isolate or reconnect. Over the summer the car gets used when and as much as I can, but in the winter I’m reluctant to take it out unless its dry / no salt. So in winter the battery doesn’t get many charges but this manual isolator has made a difference with keeping the battery charged & car starts fine.

+1. I like to isolate the battery if I leave the car for a long term- I have to pop the bonnet to connect a battery trickle charger and timer anyway and I feel more comfortable leaving the car long term in a garage two hours drive  away with the battery disconnected.

8 hours ago, Nigel A said:

I have this make operating my garage door.

unfortunately after a couple of years it failed so had to buy another from Amazon.

Fine on a garage door but don’t think I would trust one in the car.

Nigel

Good to know. I have set it up fail safe. So in theory if the circuit dies the relay defaults to the run position. 

On 10/20/2023 at 10:57 AM, Martin50 said:

Exactly the same experience as you Martin with the green knob - last year got me through a winter of light/no use without even having to charge it.