Sump Removal

Hi TR4 Experts.

I have my 1962 TR4 on Axle stands, jack also in place for additional safety. I Have drained the oil from the sump, removed bolts x19 off and checked and double checked that there are no more hidden fasteners attached to the sump. I have soaked the gasket (cork) as far as possible with white spirit, I have been carefully removing as much gasket as possible with a Stanley knife along the accessible parts of the sides. I have carefully tried to insert a blunt screwdriver and lever the sump away from the block. I am now having a rather good glass of Cava and preparing for another attack tomorrow morning.

Right now I need advice from the experts who have done this before. Just for info, I am an aircraft engineer with 25 years experience and have worked on many old cars in the past, mainly Fords but I am a little stumped  by this conundrum. I didn't expect the sump to just fall off as the last bolt was undone but I also didn't expect it to put up such a fight! My thoughts are, have I misread the whole thing and I need to undo something else, especially as there seems to be no give at all in the sump, nothing, seems to be welded on. or I have been at an office desk too long and lost my mojo, or there is a trick that you Triumph guys know about that will help me out?

Very much looking forward to your replies.....

Regards... 

Andy Lowe (Triumph new boy)

Hi Andy,

somebody has used a sealer that has gone hard.

Use the screw driver in more places around it and give some leverage.

You may well cause some damage.This should be repairable when it is off.

Tomorrow for breakfast  THREE  Shredded wheat

Roger

Think Vickers Viscount engine exhaust heat exchanger.  Remove all attachment screws then be prepared to prise it off an area at a time.  Be prepared to repair any damage done plus the holes that have belled up to the block.  Not so challenging to refit though as the bolt holes tend to line up.  Just insert a few studs to align it   Hold up with a jack and finger fit all the bolts.  Be aware the front ones are short as the go into an aluminium block and the lh side rear have a vent pipe and clutch stay rod do need longer screws.  

As Roger says the previous owner has used a sealant that has worked and secured the sump to gasket to block.  Lots of scraping to do to remove the old gasket when you do get it off.  

Hi All that gave advice.

All great top tips thankyou, especially the extra shredded wheat. I don't have words for the satisfaction the sound of that sump breaking away from the engine gave. One of my own additions was a little squirt of brake cleaner also seemed to help.

Regards to all.

IMG20230923111125[1].jpg

IMG20230923111418[1].jpg

On 9/23/2023 at 8:33 PM, Andy Lowe said:

Hi All that gave advice.

All great top tips thankyou, especially the extra shredded wheat. I don't have words for the satisfaction the sound of that sump breaking away from the engine gave. One of my own additions was a little squirt of brake cleaner also seemed to help.

Regards to all.

IMG20230923111125[1].jpg

IMG20230923111418[1].jpg

Only an Aircraft Engineer would have a workshop that tidy...I am jealous.:D

Yes rather an immaculate area! 

Hi all interested parties, I can report that following all your advice, the sump showed no evidence of leaks after its first major test run following its removal and re-fit. I conclude that Wellseal is certainly a strong product but a little difficult to use first time. Wasn't expecting it to be so runny, found that an artists spatula was the best method of applying.

1 hour ago, Andy Lowe said:

Hi all interested parties, I can report that following all your advice, the sump showed no evidence of leaks after its first major test run following its removal and re-fit. I conclude that Wellseal is certainly a strong product but a little difficult to use first time. Wasn't expecting it to be so runny, found that an artists spatula was the best method of applying.

Retighten the sump bolts in a week as things do loosen