Headlight removal

As a newcomer to TR3a ownership I am gradually upgrading the rather poor (63 year old !) lighting to LED’s

My next upgrade are the headlights, but I am at a loss how to get to the bulb.

I have attached a couple of photos as I realise you have to work from outside the car, this means removing the outer chrome ring, which I thought clipped on, my car seems to have at the 5.30 position a Philips screw. I would remove this if I could get a screwdriver on it ! 
Others say they just clip on, but I don’t want to start trying to prise things off for fear of damaging the body work or the chrome ring…… help

IMG_5214.jpeg

IMG_5215.jpeg

I have had to deal with this sort of thing before, your right they should actually be clipped on but the original clips often fail on the rims so people resort to the screw fitting, you`ll probably need to make up a tool like this below oh and plenty of masking tape to protect the paint. Sometimes you can by lifting the rim get it to pop off the top of the inner rim but you`ll still have to deal with the screw.

Stuart.

tools.jpg

Edited by stuart
32 minutes ago, mike ellis said:

Depends what your commission number is, TR3As up to TS32585 had screw clamp.  This thread refers.

Mike

But no 3a had the screw in from underneath though Mike did they?

Stuart.

My TR3a is a 1960 TS809910LO, first picture shows headlamp and chrome ring , second picture(upside down!) shows base of chrome ring with a Philips screw retaining the ring. I am damned if I can see , even with the tools suggested how this screw was fitted or removed. There is effectively zero room between bodywork and screw head !!

All the right angled screwdrivers I have researched are two long to fit into the available clearance

Edited by TR Rob
Additions
1 hour ago, stuart said:

But no 3a had the screw in from underneath though Mike did they?

Stuart.

You are correct Stuart, I was having difficulty making sense of the photograph.  It looks as though someone has added that screw for some reason, on 2s/3s the screw was recessed giving a much neater appearance.

Mike

Well now we have established that one the screw shouldn’t be there and two,if it is, it should be a much neater appearance , anybody on here got any idea how you get it out !!

Edited by TR Rob
Grammer
12 minutes ago, TR Rob said:

Well now we have established that one the screw shouldn’t be there and two,if it is, it should be a much neater appearance , anybody on here got any idea how you get it out !!

Can you get a small Pozi Drive Bit onto it?

IMG_3734.jpeg

Hi Rob

Some years ago now I fitted the Moss headlamp relay kit to my 4A and the improvement in light output of the sealed beam units was instantly noticeable. It also reduces the current flow through the switchgear. Means I can still use the original headlights. The rims on my 4A clip on and don't have any fixing screw.

Keith

2 hours ago, TR Rob said:

Hi Rob,

have you tried a pair of pliers.

Roger

10 hours ago, Ian Vincent said:

....You can buy the little clamp item that the ring slots into from Moss....

I wonder if the fitted rims actually have the prong attached to them that push into the clip…
I’ve got some rims (I think from a Mini) that just had the hole for a screw. Maybe a previous owner fitted them because it was all they had.

Not sure if my pic is the right one, but the TR one is similar.

Charlie

IMG_0654crop11.jpg

This is all very confusing, and not unexpected with a 63 year old car. But to aid clarification regarding clips and screws , this is a screen shot of various headlamp build ups from Moss TR …….my car looks like this….

IMG_5243.png

13 minutes ago, TR Rob said:

This is all very confusing, and not unexpected with a 63 year old car. But to aid clarification regarding clips and screws , this is a screen shot of various headlamp build ups from Moss TR …….my car looks like this….

IMG_5243.png

On TR2/3 they did indeed have the screw in fittings, Once the change to 3a came in it was no longer possible to fit them hence the change to clip on rims or occasionally as Mike stated above the cross clamp where the rim was actually split.

Either way what you have is incorrect, the screw driver I illustrated above has got me out of the sh1t before now where someone has done that.

Stuart.

13 hours ago, TR Rob said:

Thanks for all your comments and help, has anyone any experience of these……

IMG_5220.png

Never seen them before but yes they would probably work.

Stuart.

Here are the pics of what I actually have. I've just pulled the rim off to remind myself.

The rim is removed by slight screwdriver pressure between the rim and the rear bowl. Putting it back is simply hooking the top over the rear bowl and then a push at the bottom followed by a satisfying "Click".

(Probably now means it will fall off next time I go out !)

My car is 1959.

Edit: Just found this:

Look at item 30 on this page (2 types)

https://www.scparts.co.uk/sc_en/british-cars/triumph/triumph-tr2-to-tr4a-1953-1967/electrics-ignition-system-heating-and-dashboard/headlamps.html

Charlie

IMG_0656small.jpg

IMG_0661small.jpg

Edited by Charlie D

The SC Parts item (30) looks similar to the Moss part that is a lot cheaper.

FWIW I also have a plastic trim remover kit bought from Screwfix a few years ago that i use for levering off things like headlamp rims.  It saves damaging paintwork or fingers.

Rgds Ian

Hilka Upholstery & trim Kit

Managed to get screw out of headlamp chrome bezel using these Neiko low profile screwdrivers. Brilliant. Marked position of chrome bezel in relation to headlamp chassis made it an absolute doddle putting it all back together. Alignment and shut line of chrome bezel to bodywork perfect 

IMG_5244.jpeg