TR4/4a Hardtop colours

I remember reading a thread where members were posting pics of different car/hardtop colour combinations. Can't seem to find it now though. My 4a is signal red and i am thinking about what colour to spray the hardtop once it is restored. Have seen signal red cars with signal tops which i think looks very good (like the attached pics) but i am also thinking about spraying it black or if i can find a good enough sprayer perhaps a chequered design (like member Tom Fremont).

Does anyone know what the original options were? I am guessing back when the cars were coming off the production line the Surrey backlights and hardtops were being sold only in the same colour combination?

I am looking forward to seeing pics of members cars.

Richard

IMG-20230715-WA0091.jpg

IMG-20230715-WA0089.jpg

I do like a contrasting colour. 
whilst a black 3a I went for a silver hard top. 

i have seen a red 4 with a chequer top (Sam brown I think ?) looks good. 

4DC87308-B344-4D92-8594-402B63158DB6.jpeg

Here is a red car with a white hard top., and our white car with hard top which I would love to have either an RAF Roundel on or a chequered flag design on.

8DDF2479-9A8B-4039-A2A5-220D918B6413.jpeg

B073E905-50C1-454E-B3D6-C3D9FF6DAB26.jpeg

Body colour is fairly usual though there are a number running round with different colours even back light to roof differences. I was tasked quite a few years ago to paint the hard roof the same colour as the cars Minilites. Contacted Minilites and they told me they didnt know the exact colour name as they bought in the paint in 205ltr barrels but they were helpful enough to give me the name of the paint suppliers. Contacted them and they couldnt have been more helpful and supplied me with a litre of paint and the necessary hardener and thinners for a very reasonable price, have to say it did look good once done. No pictures as it was pre digital.

Stuart.

IMG_4695.jpg.62b07e3173f5a4b08bf4a0dc2cd3b1ec.jpg

Edited by stuart
  • 5 months later...
18 hours ago, Besalu said:

I went with 19 White, same as the wheels

20240227_112100.jpg

20240227_112030.jpg

Nice, that`ll help with keeping interior cooler.

Stuart.

In his "Original Triumph TR4/4A/5/6", Bill Piggott states:

"When supplied with a new car, the 'Surrey' top was normally finished in body colour, although contrasting colours (usually black or white) could be ordered".

Graham Robson, or perhaps his wife, Pam, chose Powder Blue for the four TR4s in the Works' Rally Team.  Both the bodywork and the 'Surrey' top were painted thus - it's a combination much admired..

Ian Cornish