PI Pumps stopping in excessive heat

Do you use the coil around the pump? or better still situate it under the rear LH side outside the car using a saloon cradle more air flow there. Clem

1 hour ago, John Morrison said:

As the title folks has anyone found a permanent cure?

Keep the tank at least half full seems to help as does any extra ventilation but in 30+ temps in France 

we’ve had issues 

John

What Pump Lucas or Bosch?

You should be able to drive in 30 + degree climates with a Bosch pump, with as little as a gallon of fuel, without any issues at all.  

My Bosch pump is situated in the boot, with the appropriate Bosch fuel filter, and taken me to Le Mans multiple times, and the 10 countries car run. I have done away with the conventional fuel filter set-up.

I have heard good things about the Sytec pumps these days, but my Bosch was installed back in 2009, and done tens of thousands of miles since.

Cheers.

Edited by TRTOM2498PI

This is my set up on my 5 I have done quite a few of these with good results

IMG_0627.jpg

Gravity aids the fuel coming out of the tank and into the pump, so the lower the pump the better. Mine as above is fitted in the wheel arch area and with the added air flow around it means so far I have not had any over heating issues. This also free's up a little more space in the boot for all those little bits and pieces we need on a long journey "just in case". I tend to ensure the tank (via fuel gauge) does not go below about a quarter full before filling up. This again aids fuel being pushed to the pump with the added weight of fuel and also negates any issues that a might be present and unknown with the fuel level sensor.

Paul

Done Le Mans 3 times accompanied by other TR6s and never had a problem with Pump or Heat the only failure we had was a broken Rotor Arm at a Services on the M6.

We would travel Holyhead to Poole stay overnight and Poole onto Le Mans,there’s a Mate along with his wife in a TR6 touring Spain and Portugal at the moment and haven’t heard any reports of problems they are actually returning today.

Edited by TR NIALL

Quite agree chaps,the Bosch 996 pump working either with the original fuel filter or a more modern cylinder type filter should not overheat in 30 degree heat. Other matters raising their heads maybe? Is filter clean and **** free, is tank clean and **** free for a start? John are you entirely convinced it IS the fuel pump overheating?  When we went to the TR Germany 50th TR6 weekend in 2019 I had issues which I put down to fuel (it was warm when stuck in traffic), just a miss or flutter and when having a customs check at Hull it was very reluctant to start. On cruise it had no issues with more air flow I guess but the problem surfaced again in slow running and hot conditions. Turned out to be the coil which totally failed about 2 months further on. Replaced coil and voila no more issues. 

Alan G

Thanks for the thoughts so far folks.

putting the coil to one side for now because when this happens the pump note changes to a screech 

all that’s needed to know when the tissue has occurred and when it’s cooled enough to pump again is to listen when the key is turned 

coil under the wheearch might a plan 

john

"putting the coil to one side for now because when this happens the pump note changes to a screech "-do you have a coil on the suction side of the pump?

A PO solved the problem of pump suction line petrol vapourization with my  fuel system  by installing a Carter pump with high suction capability under the tank . The Carter pump then feeds the Bosch pump in series.

A 1970's modification that's still working.

Hi John,

what type of Bosch pump is installed? 

ALL suitable current Bosch pumps deliver more than the original Lucas pumps, hence draw more current and dissipate more heat.

But some Bosch types  have twice the flow of the original pump.

The xx.996 which came closest to the original pump specification is no longer manufactured.

Waldi

PS: How many times have we discussed this issue…

On 9/8/2023 at 7:16 AM, John Morrison said:

As the title folks has anyone found a permanent cure?

Keep the tank at least half full seems to help as does any extra ventilation but in 30+ temps in France 

we’ve had issues 

John

John, I have just completed 1000 miles in France with no PI issues until yesterday. Driven for 4 hours in 35 degree heat when the car suddenly started to play up on fuel supply. Only had 5 miles to go to our destination and has been fine today. O/d also decided to play up all day on Thursday but has been faultless ever since!

Cheers,

Tim