Oil drips on Driveway.

Hi Folks,

my TR4 has spent and is continuing to spend time in and out of the garage.

So as to reduce whatever oil drips that are going to fall  onto the block paving i roll out a tarpaulin. When putting the car back in the garage I roll it up.

Not too much effort but repeatedly tedious.

The garage elf gave me a new present. Garden centres sell plastic trays for GrowBags to sit in. These are 4ft long. Join 2 together and they just reach from rear of engine to the diff.

3 trays would be a better choice but garage elf's have little money.

Tie a rope through the front and rear tray edges and anchor these on the bumper over riders.

Now when the car is push in/out the trays are always in place.

Roger

When the Mazda MX5/Miata was first produced it was rumoured Moss California considered a unique accessory to go on the driveway under that new sports car.  

A plastic patch/slick with realistic oil drips, to give the appearance of a real classic car.

When we had  new block paving laid I had a large 980 x 1980mm drip tray made up in aluminium by a local fabricator. When anyone calls here in a Triumph I whip it under their car car sharpish! I like Roger's idea though -very neat.

I recently sold our Volvo V70 D5. It was always parked more or less in then same place on the drive for 13 years but never deposited even a single drip of oil. This was in marked contrast to the previous model V70,816003944_DRIPTRAY.thumb.JPG.6965ae6cf2efdf85095aa17bc74bda2b.JPG which had a five cylinder Audi-sourced diesel engine and was far from oil-tight! 

Tim

+1 for the growbag trays. I used to use a stainless steel tray that had been the top of a canteen trolley, but it was a bit too small as well as making a dreadful noise when dragged across the garage floor. Saw those trays on a special offer at a garden centre, and bought three.

Pete

On 8/28/2023 at 5:13 PM, Ian Vincent said:

I have a can of Jizer by the garage door and periodically I apply a dose to any oil spots my TR might deposit. Then I either splash the hose on them or let the rain do the job. 

Rgds Ian

I remember Jizer  yummy fizzy drink :P

Bob.

Or was that Tizer :)

1 hour ago, roy53 said:

Ah Jizer, a product that worked brilliantly before we entered EU like Nitromors. Now both a waste of money as just do not work.

Roy

Are you allowed to say that in this Woke society now? I know it’s true but so are a lot of other things we are no longer allowed to say….!

Edited by SuzanneH