A type overdrive ???

Having covered about 100 miles with my recently restored 250 I have an oil leak that appears to be coming from the shaft that the overdrive sol actuates, the unit, ie gearbox and overdrive was new and cost around 2K from a well known repairer.

I'm am reluctant to remove the whole unit, so my question is can I reseal this shaft with the unit in situ, `Has anyone done this before? I note from the drawing that seals are required which are available, see pics, and all help is appreciated.

20230820_131726.jpg

cb.jpg

Pete,

Not sure if the seals can be got at from the outside, but if not, and the plate (47) has to come off, be very careful when undoing the nuts/bolts that hold the plate  on. You need to undo each one a bit at a time . The spring pressure is high and if, for example, you undid the two left nuts on their own first, the spring pressure might well be enough to snap the plate. (about £50 last time I looked )

Maybe the spring will expand too much to allow the plate to be removed with the box in situ.

Charlie.

I had to change plate 47 on my TR5 some years ago when the top projecting bracket that the solenoid connects to snapped off. I’m no expert, far from it, but I don’t remember the spring being under high compression. I approached it with some trepidation, imagining the contents behind the plate flying in all directions when I removed it, taking my eyes with it as they flew, but nothing untoward happened. 
The biggest bind as I remember it was having to remove the interior, seats, carpets, H frame, etc to get the gearbox cover off to access the plate. 
Dave McD

12 minutes ago, John Morrison said:

Pete can be done in situ and a very recent thread here outlines superior lip seals to use 

John

Pete - I think this is the thread John is referring to.:

Cheers Rich

10 hours ago, ntc said:

Am I missing something why should you repair something that you have paid for ? Name who did it.

No Neil, 

You are correct, the folk who got a lot of dosh for doing a job should sort this - absolutely

BUT, if the thing can be sorted insitu, for a mornings work, it is the easier option.

You are right Neil, but its practicalities.

John.

If the company is close enough book the car in and stay while the work is done. 

Got to be worth giving them the opportunity to rectify the fault and keep everyone happy and their reputation intact.

Andy

Be interesting to how old the box job is and if it’s some time? how it was stored.

i have seen before engine and gearboxes sent off to be done as I first job on a full resto only to sit sometimes for years whilst the chassis and body work is sorted. 

these mechanicals don’t like long term storage without use or even fluids. 

may not be the case here ?
To me as long as the company has had the chance to investigate the issue and where appropriate fix the issue is the measure of the company as with the best will in the world issues May crop up. 

Have the O/D selector plate removed without a problem, the O ring seems in good condition, so refitting with new O rings is only a shot in the dark; to get it to  seal properly.

Looking at all the other lads similar problems, thanks again to the kind members who pointed me toward  "Triers" post, which seems to be the answer.

Will try and source the seals on monday.  best Pete. Ouch,... mondays a Bank holiday...........

Edited by pfenlon