Interesting injection system

Very early TR6 for sale on Fleabay spot the air manifold and air cleaner (TR5 type) correct for that early a car or not?

TR6

Stuart.

Just now, Mike C said:

Mine looks like that but different air metering arrangement. My comm. no is 261XX CP

Does yours not have the bleed hose into the plenum?

Stuart.

Mine has the standard air bleed into the plenum- "that's what I meant by different air metering arrangement."

I was wondering what you were looking for in the advertised TR6 intake, thought I had missed something else.

The cabin  heater intake is definitely  not correct for a '69 car.

Edited by Mike C

My '69 car is CP25915, which makes it close to the one in the advert,just over 300 cars later off the line. Probably no more than a couple of weeks production I would have thought.

It has the same type of air bleed adjuster, but the hose connects to the plenum. As Mike C says the heater intake is wrong, should be a metal flap that can be opened or closed. Also the distributor should not have a vacuum capsule on a PI car, though its looks as if it's not connected. The steering wheel looks correct for a '69 car, which is quite rare  to find now, although rather battered and missing the hub cover.

My TR6 is CP 25837 but does not have the TR5 style bleed pipe, if I’m referring to the right part. This is a picture of my engine. Maybe they used up what was left of the TR5 parts? Interesting. My car also has the flame trap on the breather between rocker cover and plenum. I wonder if that came later too?

IMG_3004.jpeg

Edited by boxofbits
1 hour ago, boxofbits said:

My TR6 is CP 25837 but does not have the TR5 style bleed pipe, if I’m referring to the right part. This is a picture of my engine. Maybe they used up what was left of the TR5 parts? Interesting. My car also has the flame trap on the breather between rocker cover and plenum. I wonder if that came later too?

IMG_3004.jpeg

Mines a early 69 car and looks to be the same as yours with the flame trap.

This set up is actually for a TR5. The TR5 never had an air bleed valve as standard merely relying on the butterflies being cracked open a couple of thou to allow air into the system so the car would idle. However upon complaints from owners whose cars had gunged up the 2 thou thus not allowing any air in to idle (lumpy idle too)  S/Triumph allowed a dealer fit only "kit" which comprised the early air bleed valve shown fitted to this 69 TR6 with a flexible pipe again as shown on this 69 TR6 which allowed air into the air bleed valve from an altered air filter box bracket, a small piece of pipe very similar to the pipe you see on a TR6 plenum chamber being introduced to allow air to find its way up the flexible pipe into the air bleed valve.

This was not fitted to the TR6 which had its own plenum chamber with the pipe already in it, so this set up is a TR5 set up fitted to this TR6. No problem with that really as it works both ways. 

Alan G

Missing a chrome rocker box cover too?

This TR has appeared a couple of times in the past in the TR Register, started off as Jasmine yellow, was Green in 1981 the owner saying that he hoped to start its restoration in 1982, by 2000 it was red and the owner noted that it was in very good condition, had had an engine rebuild and an unleaded head. It looks to me as Alan says that it has one of the kits that were supplied by Triumph for TR5 owners who were suffering from tickover issues, these kits were available from December 1968 onwards. As for the chrome rocker cover where these ever fitted as standard? I think not other than to a few of the early cars including the road test car PDU 515G but not to the other road test car PDU 520G.

Looks like a good project for someone

Derek

2 hours ago, saffrontr said:

This TR has appeared a couple of times in the past in the TR Register, started off as Jasmine yellow, was Green in 1981 the owner saying that he hoped to start its restoration in 1982, by 2000 it was red and the owner noted that it was in very good condition, had had an engine rebuild and an unleaded head. It looks to me as Alan says that it has one of the kits that were supplied by Triumph for TR5 owners who were suffering from tickover issues, these kits were available from December 1968 onwards. As for the chrome rocker cover where these ever fitted as standard? I think not other than to a few of the early cars including the road test car PDU 515G but not to the other road test car PDU 520G.

Derek

And it seems to have a bit of a history , which could be fleshed out by a new owner.

4 hours ago, saffrontr said:

Derek

But definitely wouldnt have had that air bleed setup from new even being a very early car then Derek?

Stuart.

Definitely not from new Stuart. It might have had the early bleed valve but the rest is a dealer fit TR5 option if it was necessary.

Alan G

Hi Stuart, here's a copy of the pages from the service instruction for the TR5 air bleed modification. It was introduced after the end of TR5 production but before the start of TR6PI production which was at the end of November 1968 by which time we had the arrangement we all know well except as Alan says for the early version of air bleed valve which was a stop gap until the brass version became available. . 

Derek

TR5 idling circuit  1 of 3.jpg

TR5 Idling circuit 2 of 3.JPG

TR5 idling circuit 3 of 3.jpg

Thanks Derek useful info, also definitely clears up that that arrangement was never fitted to even an early 6.

Stuart.

It seems that many TR5's have the brass bleed valve (and plenum) found on the 6's. Were most of these installed by the dealer after the November 68 date (I presume that not everyone rushed to get the stop gap valve originally proposed)?

14 hours ago, Kenrow said:

It seems that many TR5's have the brass bleed valve (and plenum) found on the 6's. Were most of these installed by the dealer after the November 68 date (I presume that not everyone rushed to get the stop gap valve originally proposed)?

I see about 50/50 on TR5 of both valves Usually the later brass one is seen on cars that have been restored for whatever reason. Very occasionally you`ll see one that has neither as per original but that is rare as most cant be bothered to balance them up with the care thats required.

Stuart.

This is TR5 Photo's as left the factory.MAY 68

Note the bleed valve , not the later brass type.

I do wonder if the plenham should have been silver?   hen did this change ?

Roy

Edited by roy53
add