Suspension overhaul

Hi all

I have been quoted £3600 for a suspension overhaul, basically replacing all bushes with polybush. Does not include rear damper/springs.

Questions 

a) Would changing to polybush significantly improve drivability?

b) Does this seem to be a reasonable cost? 

Any advice/comments would be welcome.

Ernest

No and no

is my opinion Even if it does include vat which quotes like this often don’t. 

That price is way over the top.

Polybushes probably won't feel much better than fresh rubber suspension bushes but... New bushes will certainly give sharper handling than tired, old bushes.... And good quality polybushes will last longer than some modern replacement rubber bushes.

Superflex polybushes from Chris Witor have a good reputation.

Nigel

I think they are trying their luck or they don't want the job.

Complete car set of SuperPro around £420 ish plus new nuts/bolts drop links total £600 ish retail not trade 

If they know the cars then a couple of days work tops with the right tools and ramp @ £60/hour for say 20 hours £1200.

For £3600 all in I'd be expecting new standard springs and decent shocks +/- track rod ends as part of a refresh and a full alignment and even then for me it would be over the top.

Just my opinion of course!

Andy

18 minutes ago, Ernest said:

As ever thanks for these helpful responses - I think I will go for second estimate.

I tend to favour original as much as possible so, given the comments about drivability, I might just have

new rubber bushes

Thanks again

Ernest

In my view the quality of new original type bushes is highly suspect as there is no GI at Rimmer or Moss on this type of product. They confirmed this when I spoken to them directly???? You only have to look at how soon they start to crack and perish. For me PU type every time like SuperPro! How many times do you want to do the same job??

Bruce

I did my front suspension bushes at home in a weekend.

The rears I had done by a local Triumph man for about 500pds equivalent. The rears can be done without dismantling the rear suspension. I think the rears were about 5 hours labour all up.

I used poly bushes all round and it might have given a slightly harsher ride but I'll never have to do them again.

If the work is being done by Revington TR then it would be about right from my experience.

I took mine there to check and sort that handling - the materials were not the big deal, but the labour.

The end of the story is that the handling of it was staggeringly improved - most of the adjustments were a few mill here and a degree or so there.

They know their stuff and are meticulous about what they do.

However! - if this is a local garage bolting things off and on, then it would appear that they are pulling your trousers down.

I'm part way through a suspension refresh too. I spent just under £350 on a full bush, springs / dampers, nuts & bolts from Rimmer's and Moss. All components are standard spec. It took me around 3.5 hours to take the driver's side apart, incl those pesky fulcrum bolts! Only took that off to knock out the remains of the seized split pins. Bottom trunnion seized, as expected. Just loosened off everything on the passenger side and access to the fulcrum bolts is much better. Trunnion not seized, yay!

Putting the driver's side spring pan was a pita! I tried to do it by assembling all the suspension, compressing the spring and then trying to fit the spring pan. Took me ages! Having done a bit more research, an alternative appears to be to fit the spring pan to the lower arms, leave the top ball joint out of the upright, fit the spring uncompressed, then compressing jack up the lower arms. I'll give that a try when I've cleaned the parts and fitted the new bushes.

Good luck with yours!!

So with £320 on a full car set of reconditioned dampers, £200 on springs, £350 on a full polybush set, £100 on new trunnions plus £100 assorted bits and pieces, and even the tool kit to do the job and you will be well in pocket. You could even buy the press for the getting the old bushes out for £500 and still be on a winner, and at the end you have all the tools and a shiny new press. If you have the space you could even spend buy a post lift and still be almost in profit!

I bought a press some years ago and it has been a fantastic investment. I have done countless wheel bearings and bushes on our cars with it over the last 15 years. I'm sure it has paid for itself many times over and now my son is using it for his car. I am also fortunate that my house came with a tall barn. It's a bit decrepit and past its best but at least dry. I put in a second hand 2 post lift for £1500 a decade ago which is a Godsend as I'm now getting on a bit and working under car on axle stands is a painful experience. I suppose what I'm saying is that if your reasonably fit and have the time then it can be a better investment getting the tools you need than donating the money to a garage. None of the work is technically challenging, once you start taking it apart is pretty clear how it all works and how to put it back together, especially with the support of this forum with some very experienced TR people.

Replying to wrong post sho  up ld have gone to Spec Savers!!

Edited by PodOne

Hi Ernst,

If you want to work on your TR yourself, this is a good job to take on. It involves only spanner work, skinned knuckles and swearing. And a massive cost saving. At that price I’d probably be able to fly over from Australia to do the job for you! And I’m only slightly joking.

John

Ernest where are you based? 

As said wait for the warmer weather and give it a go. If you get stuck I'm sure folk will advise or lend a hand and a few extra spanners.

Andy