TR7 Fog Lamps

Could anyone advise as to rear fog lamps on a 1982 TR7. The car, which I have recently purchased, has two what look like aftermarket fog lamps attached underneath the rear bumper. There are not any fog lamps on the front of the car. There is a dash mounted off/on/on switch marked as fog lamps. My question is did the TR7 have foglamps fitted as standard and would the rear fog lamps as fitted be required for MOT purposes.

Thanks for any information.

Cliff

The two rear foglamps fitted underneath the bumper are original Triumph parts. If you haven't got one its worthwhile getting a copy of the free Rimmers TR7/TR8 catalogue which includes a lot of very useful drawings.

The wiring should be installed for the front fog lights, but they are not a standard fittment

Howard

1 hour ago, Ecosse said:

Howard,

Thanks for your reply. I have done what I should have done in the first place and checked with road vehicle regulations and yes they are required. I must say they do look like a bit of an afterthought.

Cliff

They are as the regs changed between the design of the car and its introduction hence the "Afterthought" lamps.

Stuart.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/12/2023 at 6:38 PM, jerrytr5 said:

If you replace the offside reversing light bulb with a red LED & wire in the fog light you can dispense with the nasty add-ons.

Jerry

Or this approach using red translucent paint used for stained glass windows.

Rodders.

5BEE097F-A919-479D-80D9-6053702315C1.jpeg

On 2/12/2023 at 3:19 PM, Ecosse said:

Howard,

Thanks for your reply. I have done what I should have done in the first place and checked with road vehicle regulations and yes they are required. I must say they do look like a bit of an afterthought.

Cliff

High intensity rear fog lamps become a mandatory fitment to most vehicles manufactured after 1 October 1979 and used from 1 April 1980.

Yes, my pal’s V reg pre-common underbody FHC with a single bulge bonnet had no rear fog lamps back in the day, however my V reg common underbody DHC with double bulge bonnet had them under the bumper.  I’d guess it was an easier introduction to the production line than modify the existing light cluster / loom.

On 2/12/2023 at 10:22 AM, stuart said:

They are as the regs changed between the design of the car and its introduction hence the "Afterthought" lamps.

Stuart.

And we still don't have rear fog lamps over here in the USA.

On 2/12/2023 at 6:38 PM, jerrytr5 said:

If you replace the offside reversing light bulb with a red LED & wire in the fog light you can dispense with the nasty add-ons.

Jerry

Its a very neat solution which I considered, but sadly found does not comply with the regulations. There has to be a minimum distance between the brake lights and the fog light ( I can't recall the figure) which this elegant soloution does not meet.

H

9 minutes ago, HowardB said:

There has to be a minimum distance between the brake lights and the fog light ( I can't recall the figure) which this elegant soloution does not meet.

(d) Minimum separation distance between a rear fog lamp and a stop lamp–

(i)In the case of a rear fog lamp which does not share a common lamp body with a stop lamp:

A distance of 100 mm between the light-emitting surfaces of the lamps when viewed in a direction parallel to the longitudinal axis of the vehicle

(ii)In the case of a rear fog lamp which shares a common lamp body with a stop lamp:

100 mm

legislation here:

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1989/1796/schedule/11/made

Original equipment was Cibie for the rear.  Front was an accessory and made by Wipac, they used to appear at Autojumbles but very scarce now.

Fog light.jpg