Lanoguard anyone?

Hi guys I have a 1997 vehicle that I have used as my daily driver for the past 13 years and I'm a little ashamed to say that it hasn't had the same level of care as the TR gets. It is now suffering from corrosion mainly around the rear axle area and rear suspension mountings etc I have taken the car off the road to give it a full service changing all the diff and gearbox oils etc and looking to do something with the rust without carrying out of full restoration I've seen this Lanoguard product on the internet which claims you can just spray liberally around the heavily corroded areas leave for 2 months and then reapply. I'm looking to prolong the life of my car as I like it. So my question to you guys is has anybody here used this system and does it work? What results can I expect or is it just the same as liberally spraying waxoyl around? https://www.lanoguard.co.uk/pages/how-to-apply

Regards Richard 

IMG_20220908_120017316_HDR.jpg

Edited by Richmac
Add photos

I've used Fluid Film, a lanolin-based corrosion preventative here in the US, for years on several vehicles and on a number of other items around the house.  I'm a fan of the stuff and typically buy a six pack of rattlecans every year.  It's given strong protection to my vehicles living on the edge of the US rust belt.

Fluid Film does a nice job when applied to the back of the alloy wheels on my other cars to prevent any corrosion between mounting face and wheel hub.  It's super for stuff like that.

I typically reapply to the internal and external frame, undercarriage components, and backsides of lower body panels once a year in the autumn, with perhaps a touch up in high road-spray areas in the springtime.  Fluid film stays quite flowable.  It doesn't stiffen like a paraffinic wax or (even worse) a rubberized undercoat.  So it retains an ability to reflow and can't trap moisture under a flaking film.

Its flowabilty means if you rub against it with something (like your sleeve) it's gonna come off onto the sleeve.  And dust and dirt sticks to the film, although that doesn't have any effect on its performance that I can tell.  Just makes the rub-off dirtier.

Fluid Film has two main downsides: (1) it smells seriously funky.  Some people are revolted by it for weeks after application.  I have a dull nose, so while I can smell it for a day or so, it doesn't bother me. (2) it can soften/dissolve some rubbers or sealants, so avoid getting it on these unless you're sure they're OK.

i-GTb4V2T-X5.jpg

There's another lanolin-based product called Woolwax in our market that's a competitor to FF.  It's reported not to have the funky odor and to be a thicker, less fluid formulation.  I have no experience with this one.

Edited by Don H.

I use it and have to say I’m very impressed. Very easy to apply and it stays in place. I like the green credentials and being someone who keep's sheep was sold by the fact that field gates that sheep rub on are never rusty……….also I’ve never seen a rusty sheep :-)

10 minutes ago, stillp said:

Is there any difference between Lanoguard and Lanoshield?

Just trade names from different companies. 

Hello Peter

Brake pipes covered in grease etc. is only an advisory item.

Hope your keeping well Peter regards Harvey DVSA AE

1 hour ago, iain said:

I thought waxoyl was Petroleum based?

Suspect it is as you can thin it with white spirit. Mind you it stinks for ages. I've stoped using it myself after many years as the formulation seemed to get thinner and thiner in favour of the Bilt Hamer products which seem well respected and don't smell. Time will tell.

Andy