On 12/22/2022 at 6:30 PM, Z320 said:

Hi,

I compared cheap standard pads and the expensive 1144 pads the same day, driving my standard test loop.

I expected no basic difference.

But indeed the 1144 pads are better, in my opinion not the way to let me make air jumps, but indeed better and worth to spend the money.

Ciao, Marco 

Hi,

currently the Mintex 1144 pads are annoying me very much with often (not always) very loud sqeaking on low speed braking,

for example rolling in a traffic jam or to a red traffic light. This is mostly in town / village and pedesrtians pedestrians notice me negative.

Any idea?

Ciao, Marco

Edited by Z320
right letters in the wrong sequence
5 minutes ago, Z320 said:

Hi,

currently the Mintex 1144 pads are annoying me very much with often (not always) very loud sqeaking on low speed braking,

for example rolling in a traffic jam or to a red traffic light. This is mostly in town / village and pedesrtians notice me negative.

Any idea?

Ciao, Marco

Do the brake pad  friction material have a slot in them?    I found the slot added with a saw cured the squeal of my brakes many years ago.

read these thoughts perhaps

https://www.brakeandfrontend.com/brake-pad-chamfers-slots-shapes-controlling-brake-noise/

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Hi Marco,

if the pins are too tight, or the pads are too tight in their slots squeaking can be caused.

There are anti-squeal shims available (Moss etc) but I have had no luck with them.

There are  'rubber/plastic' shims that stick to the pads that work well.  I first found these with 'GreenStuff' pads.

Roger

I’ve copied this from an earlier post:

As for the 1144 pads - much better than standard search for MGB633 1144. You will get the ones with the smaller holes for the pins but it takes no time at all to enlarge with a drill. Far cheaper than seeking out the less common large holed pads. (Not sure you can get them with 1144material)

4 hours ago, Z320 said:

Hi,

for example rolling in a traffic jam or to a red traffic light. This is mostly in town / village and pedesrtians pedestrians notice me negative.

Any idea?

Ciao, Marco

Marco - I found the anti-squeal shims plus copious amounts of brake grease cured all my brake sqeaking.

Darren

10 minutes ago, DRD said:

Marco - I found the anti-squeal shims plus copious amounts of brake grease cured all my brake sqeaking.

Darren

I've generally had good success with CRC Disc Brake Quiet, less so when I've used it with EBC Red Stuff pads.

Hi all and thank you,

nothing suspicious, gaps are there, bolts move free, dull surfaces.

What makes me wonder is how much they are down already.

The ones on the outside some more than the ones on the inside.

One step after one other, I broke the edges of the pads on the running on side.

Out for a test drive down in the village now…

6 hours ago, Z320 said:

Hi,

Any idea?

Ciao, Marco

These worked well for me Marco

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/312720241526?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=EeNOHQI-R3G&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=GeP3KodIRnW&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

I used some rubber brake pad backing material for my 1144 pads. I think it was made by 3M. Almost completely eliminated squeels

Tim

15 minutes ago, Z320 said:

Sorry, I don’t want to have elastic material between pads and pistons.

Intersted, Why not? Many pads have some form of elastic material between? 

2 hours ago, Z320 said:

Sorry, I don’t want to have elastic material between pads and pistons.

I understand your point but you don’t need to be concerned. I have all braided hoses and even with the backing pads and silicone fluid there is no noticeable sponginess. 
The change from rubber hoses made the most difference. 

I used already elastic pads some years ago and have not been pleased.

Braided hoses made no difference on my car because the rubber on the old ones has been only a cover over a Teflon hose.

I‘m convinced the braided surface is only fake for our good customer feeling, the key is the Teflon hose.

A friend of me working at Audi confirmed me this issue.

I worked with braided material and also wire robes, they are very flexible.

Edited by Z320
32 minutes ago, Z320 said:

I used already elastic pads some years ago and have not been pleased.

…but were they 3M? Like all things there are differences in quality which translate to performance. 
They are cheap and easy to fit. Give them a try. 

Edited by Drewmotty

I have the EBC Greenstuff and (I think) 3 M pads sticking on it. No squeals, never.

Drewmotty’s remark about braided hoses has given me another job for the winter.

Waldi

18 minutes ago, Waldi said:

I have the EBC Greenstuff and (I think) 3 M pads sticking on it. No squeals, never.

Drewmotty’s remark about braided hoses has given me another job for the winter.

Waldi

Get rid of them and get Hawk pads ;)

Hi Neil,

they work ok, and I ordered them in 2016 because of…. recommendations on this forum.

I have the larger Volvo servo, and have sufficient brake-force, but my pedal could be harder. 

I have just received an Easybleed to that off course is the first step.

Cheers,

Waldi