TR6 Gearbox cover

Hey everyone,

I am needing to purchase a new gearbox cover as mine is wrecked and I see there are various ones available. I am after a split one for ease of removing but wondered if anyone has any recomendations on ones to avoid, definately buy etc.

Thanks

Tim

Hi Tim

Must be coincidence just in the process of fitting a white fibreglass one from one of the usual suspects bought before I knew better. Let's just say I'll get it to fit eventually but its not perfect. Avoid.

Andy

• 2 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, timpress said:

Thanks all. I purchased the Racetorations one and it fits great. Highly recommended for anyone looking for a cover.

It's rare to find good quality parts like these covers, and when we do we have to spread the word

George 

On 10/15/2022 at 6:18 PM, PodOne said:

Hi Tim

Must be coincidence just in the process of fitting a white fibreglass one from one of the usual suspects bought before I knew better. Let's just say I'll get it to fit eventually but its not perfect. Avoid.

Andy

Just thought I'd update and confirm the white fibreglass ones despite my best efforts simply don't fit well at least not on my car. I could have used fibreglass to make it fit but given the cost and time it will have to go to a new home. So like everyone else I bit the bullet and bought Racetorations one without the grommet as that's all they had in stock. Have to say where credits due it's fitted really well, no issues other than it took a fair while to dill the holes in the correct locations around the bulkhead as I'd no old cover to use as reference. Well done Racetorations top marks!

I presume the "no grommet" is in reference to a hole to access the top starter nut/bolt from inside the care without the need to strip the whole cover out. If so I've made one to accept a grommet. If not do I need to make another hole to access something else? 

Andy

1 hour ago, PodOne said:

Just thought I'd update and confirm the white fibreglass ones despite my best efforts simply don't fit well at least not on my car. I could have used fibreglass to make it fit but given the cost and time it will have to go to a new home. So like everyone else I bit the bullet and bought Racetorations one without the grommet as that's all they had in stock. Have to say where credits due it's fitted really well, no issues other than it took a fair while to dill the holes in the correct locations around the bulkhead as I'd no old cover to use as reference. Well done Racetorations top marks!

I presume the "no grommet" is in reference to a hole to access the top starter nut/bolt from inside the care without the need to strip the whole cover out. If so I've made one to accept a grommet. If not do I need to make another hole to access something else? 

Andy

Does the Racetorations cover have a hole for topping up the gearbox oil?

BTW, I have a white FG cover at present and the speedo angle drive is punching its way through. It was difficult to fit. I will replace it with a Racetorations cover next time it needs to be removed.

Nigel

1 hour ago, PodOne said:

Andy

No its the grommet at the rear to access the front prop UJ to grease it.

Stuart.

1 minute ago, Nigel Triumph said:

BTW, I have a white FG cover at present and the speedo angle drive is punching its way through. It was difficult to fit. I will replace it with a Racetorations cover next time it needs to be removed.

Nigel

Yes it does https://www.racetorations.co.uk/product/split-gearbox-tunnel-tr4a-6/

Stuart.

On 10/26/2022 at 8:29 AM, Nigel Triumph said:

Nigel

This might not be economical to ship but is an option (probably someone in the UK makes also):

Gearbox Access Cover

On 10/29/2022 at 8:40 PM, Kenrow said:

This might not be economical to ship but is an option (probably someone in the UK makes also):

Gearbox Access Cover

Thank you, interesting little cover. I'm going to try the Racetorations cover then if there's still a problem with the angle drive, the access cover could be the answer.

Nigel

17 minutes ago, Nigel Triumph said:

Thank you, interesting little cover. I'm going to try the Racetorations cover then if there's still a problem with the angle drive, the access cover could be the answer.

Nigel

Nigel - those angle drive covers were fitted to the original fibreboard tunnels but often got thrown away with the old tunnel - they do come up from time to time on fleabay - they were pressed steel and fitted to the tunnel with self tappers into spire clips.

I haven't got a photo readily to hand but I think I have some spares if you ever need one

Cheers Rich

44 minutes ago, rcreweread said:

Nigel - those angle drive covers were fitted to the original fibreboard tunnels but often got thrown away with the old tunnel - they do come up from time to time on fleabay - they were pressed steel and fitted to the tunnel with self tappers into spire clips.

I haven't got a photo readily to hand but I think I have some spares if you ever need one

Cheers Rich

Thank you Rich, I never knew that.

Nigel