A Very Tiring evening OR a new board game for Xmas 'NHS the inside story'

Hi Folks,

last Thursday I had a new left Hip fitted.  The engineering went very well  but the lady in charge of the bottle of rum slipped me a Micky Finn.

So yesterday (Sunday am) (I have not slept properly for two nights.) I woke up knackered.  My good (unOperated) leg was screaming at me.

Wondering what to do I stupidly called 111. The surgery was done privately because at the age of 72 I can afford the fee(££££££) but not lose the years.

At 2pm I called 111. The robot came on and asked if I lived in Ware Herts.  No says I

State the name of your local town  -  Hayes. The robot said (I'm sure, WTF) where is that.  In the end having replaced its fuses I was sent through to a call centre.

One parting gift the robot said we are experiencing large volumes of call (bugger off).  Instantly if not quicker An operator said 'Hello, how may I help'.

We went through a good number of questions (all important) and then he asked were do I live. I  said Hayes Middx.   He said Where (Ware - it is all falling into place).

I gave him my post code. Where (the hell) does that live.  West London.  Never heard of  it.  I ask - where are you - Lancashire.

He then spent 5 minutes looking up an out of Hours (OoH) GP.  They will call shortly.  He was actually a very pleasant chap and wouldn't mind having a beer with him.

2.30pm - answer phone - 20 minute call)    its the OoH GP.  Could hardly speak a word of English but she turned out very good in the end.

She arranged for my local hospital OoH GP to call me with a time to pop in for tea and a chat.  Sadly my Hosp. Does not do tea, biscuits or GP's.

At 6pm I call the Hosp to chat to their OoH GP to see where the Tea is. WTF are you talking about - I think they said.

I put the phone down preparing to go to the Hosp A&E. The phone rings OoH GP thaty called at 2pm.  Shouting - you didn't attend the 5.30pm appointment.

What are you talking about you batty old woman (I muse)  There was no call, no appointment, no nothing. The Hosp does not have accidents to schedule.

OK, no problem (Oh yes there is I think)  -  I'll do a referral to go direct to the Hosp with a 7,16pm appointment.

I arrive at the Hosp. at 7pm. I know that A&E do not work to appointments so I go into the Urgent Care centre (UCC).  Go straight to reception (this is looking good.)

The receptionist smiles at me.  WTF do you want I think she said. The place was teeming and she was fuming (nearly).  I explained what the OoH GP said to me.

She wrote down all the details.

The receptionist smiled and fumed a little.  we do  not do appointments. aaaaaand the computers have gone down. So join the queue and we will be with you.

Our UCC has a triage system. Within 5 mins I was called. He wrote down all the details.  You need to go to A&E - not here. He was polite but never looked at me.

I was taken to A&E waiting area and I actually thought I had won (twat) I turned the corner and behold there was a sea of nearly dead and dying. I joined them.

30 mins, 1Hr, 2 Hrs 2,30Hrs. went by as I studied my fellow mankind. - what a sorry bunch. But they were poorly.

I was called forward for a blood test - this is looking good.  Off I go to a side ward where things were going on.  The nurse took all my details again, again, again)

Suddenly a 14 year old who was standing in the middle of the ward was now collapsing in  the  middle of the ward. - here is a tip - Do NOT collapse backwards - you will hurt your head. The Nurse transfers me to the BatGirl.   She has to insert the multiway gizzmo for getting at your innards. She has a chat with a chum. Another chum ambles

by and they have a three way grope - it took over 10 minutes to get a spoonful of blood. I am sent back to the land that time forgot (the waiting room).

Just over an hour later a junior doc arrived she took my details - there was no way she could not.

She told me what she thought. I told her what I thought ,the OoH GP, would have agreed with me, although she would not of understood it.

So she was lost she now had to talk to the head Honcho.  She returned about 30 Mins later - Time had stopped ticking on and we moved into an unstable temporal zone.

The one that knows what he is doing agreed with me and could now administer the drugs that the OoH GP had suggested.  I asked who would be removing the thing in my arm.  I'll get a nurse.  10 mins and the nurse turns up but we now have to leave the waiting room in case the dead get excited. I(t's the blood don'Cha,know.

In the new side ward all the people that I thought had escaped the hosp were stored here - very pale and wane.

The nurse looked at my blood sucking device on my  arm and said I shall take that out. On the way to find  a crow bar she was whipped away to find a bed pan etc.

She called to another innocent bystander in a blue frock to sort his arm out. This he did.  A 6ft Jamaican night club doorman is very efficient.

He applied a lump of cotton wool and a micro pore plaster and said press that for 2 mins. 

After 30 secs I'm legging down the ward only to be caught by Linford Christies younger Bros. man. Where you going, I said 2mins.

I said I have had no sleep for two days/nights. I've been encaptured by the NHS for just over 10 Hrs and I've been here for 5 hrs. and I promise not to bleed to death in the car park.  He relented.

What did I learn

Do NOT call 111

Do not obey GP's that you can't understand

Go to you Hosp that tried to chop your leg off in the first place. They are experts with time on their hands.

Why can't A&E have a fully functioning triage system

Why can't they attach the the blood machine access device as you enter during the waiting time.  Why did they attach the device????????

Educate OoH GP's that you can't book a table at Hotel A&E

Why do they not give each incoming with a data sheet for their details that has a QR code (on pain of death do not lose it) - so simple.

There are so many areas where they could easily streamline - but - it wouldn't be so funny.

The above is very tongue cheek  but not too far from reality

I feel much better today.

Roger

Welcome to the club, no chance of you ever being in the  concourse class now.

Expect a week on two crutches, unable even to carry a cup, then the second week its one crutch and the third week your flying solo.

At least you had the op before inflation hits the pricing!

All the very best,

Alan

Edited by barkerwilliams

Phew what a saga Roger - but I'm glad you were sorted in the end.  

Once you are in the system the NHS seems to work well as I found out myself a couple of months ago but it's getting to that point that seems to be the problem.   I couldn't understand either why I had to keep repeating the same information over and over to different people...........

i am sure that the 6 weeks not driving will be more of a challenge to you.

i was also told not to sit in or drive a low sports car for at least 6 months

All the best Roger

Roy

Edited by roy53
2 minutes ago, roy53 said:

i am sure that the 6 weeks not driving will be more of a challenge to you.

i was also told not to sit in or drive a low sports car for at least 6 months

All the best Roger

Roy

Advice is there to be ignore.  However you obey the pain :angry:

Roger

1 minute ago, RogerH said:

Advice is there to be ignore.  However you obey the pain :angry:

Roger

beware DVLA are informed and licence/insurance suspended for 6 weeks.

information that shocked me.

i tried to press clutch at 4 weeks. No way, so 6 weeks was pretty spot on

Roy

14 minutes ago, roy53 said:

beware DVLA are informed

Are you sure about that Roy? I am sceptical - apart from anything else things are just not that well joined up.

quote; "You must tell DVLA if you’ve had an operation and you’re still unable to drive 3 months later."

https://www.gov.uk/surgery-and-driving

and this from RCS:

https://www.rcseng.ac.uk/patient-care/recovering-from-surgery/total-hip-replacement/driving/

quote  "....you do not need to notify the DVLA unless instructed to do so by your doctor; however, it is important to follow your doctor’s advice about driving." 

I recently had an op and rang my insurance company. They were not interested and just said to follow doctor's advice. 

Edited by RobH

Hmmm.  Perhaps he was just laying it on with a trowel Roy, in order to dissuade you.  

Still highly sceptical.  I can't see that happening without DVLA contacting you directly to confirm it.  It might also break the data protection regulations I think. 

When I had my RH hip done in 2011 nobody said that I couldn't or set a time limit.

So common sense slipped in and I was able to Drive my Auto Saab 9.5 after 3 weeks and the TR after 4 weeks

This current one will be different - LH hip.  The Auto Saab 9.3 should be drivable certainly within 3 weeks 

The TR may still take the 4 weeks.

But time will tell - I'm no masochist

Roger

1 hour ago, roy53 said:

Thats what i was told by the surgeon

In 1908 a surgeon told my grandmother the he was going to have to amputate her left arm.
She said “Oh no you not.”
Grandma died 70 years later with both arms working perfectly.

In 1917 an army doctor told my granddad he had a weak heart and would not let him enlist in WW1 because he would die of a heart attack before the boat even landed in France.
Granddad actually died in 1972, as strong as an ox.

However his two healthy brothers were able to enlist, and both died in the trenches within a few weeks of getting there…

Charlie.

4 hours ago, Charlie D said:

In 1908 a surgeon told my grandmother the he was going to have to amputate her left arm.
She said “Oh no you not.”
Grandma died 70 years later with both arms working perfectly.

In 1917 an army doctor told my granddad he had a weak heart and would not let him enlist in WW1 because he would die of a heart attack before the boat even landed in France.
Granddad actually died in 1972, as strong as an ox.

However his two healthy brothers were able to enlist, and both died in the trenches within a few weeks of getting there…

Charlie.

That was a very tough generation who did not have it easy, one or two characters amongst them as well Einstein, Jo Stalin, the bold Adolf to name a few.

George 

On 9/5/2022 at 7:44 PM, RogerH said:

Why do they not give each incoming with a data sheet for their details that has a QR code (on pain of death do notlose it) - so simple.

This is where we should be micro chipped at birth similar to animals, we wouldn’t be able to get lost , impersonated or scammed.

We have far too many people here now and so many are out to rip you off or rob you of your identity.

On 9/5/2022 at 7:44 PM, RogerH said:

I used to agree with chipping people but in horses and dogs it is unfortunately a simple matter to cut the chip out. Not heard of re-implanting the chip but a simple task to re-inject.

...and even worse, who controls the database -therein lies ultimate power to re-assign identities at will.

Alan

Edited by barkerwilliams
6 minutes ago, barkerwilliams said:

therein lies ultimate power to re-assign identities at will.

Ever seen the film 'Brazil'.....?   I don't think it was supposed to be a documentary. 

Hi Folks,

going back to the first post above, this morning I woke to find my RH leg screaming at me again. It didn't 'arf 'urt.

Anyway, my mind started to wander and it had a stroke of genius.  I have some 'apres' sun slurp called Eurax. It de-sensitises the skin to reduce pain.

So I slurped some  of this on my leg and instantly, if not quicker, the pain was gone.  It has been gone all day.

I wonder if the anaesthetic medical society know about this revelation.

Roger

Hi Roger

Hope you start to mobilise soon just listen to the hip it will let you know when enough is enough and do the physio.

DVLA they are not informed as far as I'm aware. Its most likely a surgeon ruse to improve compliance as you always get the idiots who will drive while recovering unable to do an emergency stop and kill someone including them selves. Plus your insurance will be null and void if there is any indication your ability is impaired. I'd suggest leaving it six weeks and going out when its quite and see if you can do an emergency stop. Automatic car makes no difference.

111 not brilliant and generally cover their arse and send to A & E. Sadly the private sector are generally happy to take the cash then walk away from any post op care as there is no profit in any complication management so generally they offer little if any support. The NHS can complete the circle and usually has the best kit but agree its never being as bad as it is now and in an ideal word there would be no need for the private sector. Years of mismanagement has seen to that and I can't see it improving anytime soon.

Chipping folk no argument from me brilliant idea as a way of carrying peoples medical records/alerts. Unlikely to Malfunction or more importantly get lost and be correct at the point of requirement. No identity fraud and verifies the individual is entitled treatment and social benefits. If you have nothing to hide you have nothing to fear?

I'm sure the liberals will take offence but as said there are too many mouths now to be wasting increasingly scare resources or better still lets see the politicians take steps to reduce the population and then there might be enough NHS resources to go around.

Enough said!

Get well soon.

Andy

Some years ago my wife had an operation performed at a private hospital and started to have some complications a day or so after she was discharged, this happened late in the evening so I tried contacting the various NHS services. The night doctor suggested "keep taking the tablets", a phone call to A&E informed us the waiting time was currently six hours!

I then phoned the hospital that carried out the procedure, two minutes later I was speaking with the matron who arranged for a meeting with the surgeon first thing the next morning, by mid morning she was back in hospital having her problem sorted. Absolutely first class care.

So Rodger have you spoken with the hospital that did your opp?

George 

Hi George,

I missed two perfect opportunities whilst in hospital last week to raise the issue but my befuddled head didn't engage.

Then on Sunday I should have called the surgeon but again befuddle was the nature of the day.

I called the hospital on Monday. I think the surgeon wasn't happy that I went 111.

Anyway I shall be calling him today.

Roger

16 hours ago, RobH said:

Ever seen the film 'Brazil'.....?   I don't think it was supposed to be a documentary. 

Great film though 

Stuart

This will sound slightly unsympathetic, but having chosen to go private surely the post op discomfort/ mild complications etc is their problem?

Often the NHS picks up the outcomes of “ private” mishaps, willingly and without charge………food for thought?

Iain