Changing gauges

Hi, I am new to the classic car world having bought my TR6 a few months ago.

I am toying with the idea of changing the black gauges to the ones here. Firstly do you think this would detract from the car and maybe devalue it. Secondly can the mileage be adjusted on the new gauge to marry it up with the current correct mileage?

Thanks in advance for your help

https://www.catawiki.com/en/l/60905683-tools-kit-da-6-strumenti-smiths-aston-martin-austin-healey-lotus-mini-triumph-1990-2000 

Thanks for your reply, I don't need them refurbished there is nothing wrong with them I just like the look of the ones in the link with the white dials and chrome trim rather than the black dials and trim that are currently on the car which I assume is the original colour.

The advert isn't clear whether these are old refurbished gauges or new reproductions. Neither does there seem to be any option for selecting particular car models. Assuming that what you see in the ad is what is on offer, unless these gauges can be tailored specifically for you car there will be some work required.

The speedo will most likely need recalibrating to match your revs-per-mile as may the rev counter if it is a mechanical one.  If it is electrical you will need to wire it in.  They may even need special drive cables made up if the fittings are different.  The temperature gauge may not match the temperature sender unit you have and neither may the fuel gauge match the tank sender so both would read in error unless recalibrated.  Nether the ammeter nor the oil pressure gauge have high enough ranges.  You need at least +/_ 30Amps or higher if your alternator is an uprated one - and at least 80 psi. 

Edited by RobH
4 minutes ago, Belsey said:

Thank you Rob, clearly shows I'm a novice with no idea, I think I'll forget that idea!

Bob is spot on with that info.

The gauges you are viewing seem expensive.   Go direct to the maker in India

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/275412727778?hash=item401fe0b7e2:g:SLUAAOSwAVpi7RIK

40 minutes ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

These certainly are cheap if they are built to  Smiths original quality.  You would need to confirm dimensions- 100mm  face dia speedo's and tacho's would be too small for a TR6.

Welcome to Tr ownership and to our forum- a name would be nice we are such a friendly crowd.

Great advice for you would be to seek out your local TR Reg group, and pop along bound to be some TR 6’s and you would get help for your question here and all the myriad of other questions you will have.

Believe it’s part of the TR thing and just great fun

John

8 hours ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

If you want gauges for a TR that look the same as the original OEM? Go to Caerbont Automotive Instruments who have the original Smiths tooling and therefore you cannot tell the difference. They also make that speedo gear box as OEM that gives a lot of aggro when bought as a repro. from the usual suspects. Its' also where Speedy Cables get their parts from.

Bruce

10 hours ago, RobH said:

The advert isn't clear whether these are old refurbished gauges or new reproductions. Neither does there seem to be any option for selecting particular car models. Assuming that what you see in the ad is what is on offer, unless these gauges can be tailored specifically for you car there will be some work required.

The speedo will most likely need recalibrating to match your revs-per-mile as may the rev counter if it is a mechanical one.  If it is electrical you will need to wire it in.  They may even need special drive cables made up if the fittings are different.  The temperature gauge may not match the temperature sender unit you have and neither may the fuel gauge match the tank sender so both would read in error unless recalibrated.  Nether the ammeter nor the oil pressure gauge have high enough ranges.  You need at least +/_ 30Amps or higher if your alternator is an uprated one - and at least 80 psi. 

Rob

Please correct me if I’m wrong, but if we’re looking at the same advert it looks like the seller does state that they are replica/ reproduction, and manufactured around 2000? They appear to be old reproductions.

Here is the text below the headline.

“Kit of six gauges in magnolia colour.
 Replica.
 Tachometer, 
 Odometer, 
 Ammeter, 
 Petrol level gauge,
 Oil pressure gauge,
 Water temperature gauge. 
 Weight: 120 g.
 Shipping via UPS.

Show more

TYPE OF OBJECT

Tools(More lots)

QUALIFICATION

Reproduction/replica

BRAND

Aston Martin, Austin Healey, Lotus, Mini, Triumph(More lots)

NO. OF ITEMS

MODEL/ TITLE

Kit da 6’strumenti smiths

CONDITION

1: Excellent/as new

PERIOD OF MANUFACTURE

1990-2000

DIMENSIONS

The point really isn't the clarity of the advertisement (which I still think isn't good) but the fact that these are not a suitable direct fit for a TR6 - and nor probably for "Aston Martin, Austin Healey, Lotus, Mini, Triumph(More lots)" as stated. B)

For comparison I am lookih at complete sets of (electronic) gauges for my TR6 at the moment and a full CAI set is coming out at a smidge under £1,000 or to taylor your own it is hitting £1,500!

Aren’t a well known TR aftermarket performance supplier offering an electronic set nearer £2k?

Regards

Bill

16 hours ago, Richard Pope said:

For comparison I am lookih at complete sets of (electronic) gauges for my TR6 at the moment and a full CAI set is coming out at a smidge under £1,000 or to taylor your own it is hitting £1,500!

CAI have a very good name in the Mini and Motorcycle world! I have used their products and had no complaints except that they are a bit pricey!

Bruce.