TR4A BADGE SPACING

Hi 

Just measured the ones at the rear,   and the spacing between the Middle of each letter is as follows;- 7.4, 7, 6.9, 7.5,7.6, 7.     The differences, I guess, are due to the different widths of each letter.    I took a few measures of the front ones, and while slightly different, are substantially the same.

Regard

Dave

====

Hi Colin,

I have a 4 which I am about to commence to restore. The bonnet and boot badges have been removed. I do not know if the letter spacing on a four is the same as a 4A but if you want I will do a “brass rubbing of the letter spacing, bonnet and boot.

Graham

• 1 year later...

Reviving this (again)

I now have a new bootlid on my TR4 without the old one for reference, and there are no holes whatsoever, apart from the boot handle. So it's pretty hard to know where to start.

Roger's diagram is great for the TR4 badge lower right but, unless I'm missing something in the downloads, I can't see a diagram for the Triumph lettering set holes above the number plate.

Is my best bet to go for a "rubbing" from a kind member?

Rod

5 minutes ago, RogerH said:

Hi Rod,

if you can wait till tomorrow I'll measure my boot for you.

Roger

Roger - that's much appreciated. It's a job on my list so would be grateful whenever you can.

All the best

Rod

A slightly different question. My newly acquired TR4A has no bonnet badge or letters. I now have 'the world' bonnet badge but have no idea where to position it. Is there such a thing as a template to help or does anyone have measurements I can use??

Peter

1 hour ago, PeterCD said:

A slightly different question. My newly acquired TR4A has no bonnet badge or letters. I now have 'the world' bonnet badge but have no idea where to position it. Is there such a thing as a template to help or does anyone have measurements I can use??

Peter

Hi Peter, if it is any use I haven't put the lettering on my bonnet yet. It is a TR4 rather than a 4a but I imagine the lettering is the same (not the badge though). I can do a rubbing or measurements if that helps.

Or is it just the badge you need? In which case this won't be much help.

tr4letters.jpg

Edited by Rod Mac
3 hours ago, PeterCD said:

Hi Rod, it's just the badge for the moment until I can source the lettering. I see your bonnet has pre-drilled holes, mine have all been filled in and painted over. I think a rubbing of your bonnet would help enormously.

Thanks

Peter

Yes, we saved most of the original bonnet, just needing to replace the usual leading edge in front of the lettering.

I've done a rubbing on baking paper so will PM you for address.

Not sure if the bonnet lettering template would work on the boot. Suspect not as the bonnet lettering appears to curve in line with the bonnet edge. Someone will confirm I'm sure.

As I said, this is a TR4 so perhaps the badge holes differ? I've included them above the lettering.

Cheers

I do not have a bonnet badge on my 4a irs.

Question: were there any differences in badges between UK market cars and cars for the European/American markets? Or any differences between early and late models to come off the production line?

Richard

2 hours ago, Besalu said:

I do not have a bonnet badge on my 4a irs.

Question: were there any differences in badges between UK market cars and cars for the European/American markets? Or any differences between early and late models to come off the production line?

Richard

4a all had the same type of badge though there does seem to be slight variations in the finish of them, I put that down to age if original and differences in repros if its been replaced.

Stuart.

At the Sherborne Castle event on Sunday, a lady took great interest in the Triumph Globe badge on the bonnet of my TR4 (I won't bore you with the story behind this).

When she had taken photos, I asked her why, and she said the badge was a brilliant design, and design was her "thing".   I pointed out that the badge was very faded, but that didn't worry her at all - it was the design which mattered.

Ian Cornish

I thought the TR4 had a Triumph shield bonnet badge and the 4A the globe Ian. In the iconic pic of 4VC with Bran Culcheth and Roger Clark on the Liege Sofia Liege it is clearly sporting a shield. Did you change for personal preference?

Tim 

Correct, Tim, so here's the story.

Gordon Birtwistle, Triumph's test driver, bought the car in early 1964, when the other 3 were being prepared to sail across the Atlantic for the 1964 Shell 4000 Rally.

At some point, the car was stolen from Gordon's home, driven south and pranged, so needed new bonnet, grille and front valance.  As Gordon had access to Triumph's parts, he fitted the then current parts: a TR4A bonnet, valance and grille.  To avoid having to fit lamps on the wings, Gordon modified the sidelamp fixings in the grille so as to accept "Morris Minor" type side/flasher lamps.  And the 4A bonnet uses a 4A globe badge.

Graham Robson always badgered me about reverting to TR parts and wire wheels (horrible things, which I replaced with TR6 steel wheels in 1970), but it's my car and it's all part of its history.

Ian Cornish

On 7/11/2023 at 7:59 AM, Rod Mac said:

Reviving this (again)

I now have a new bootlid on my TR4 without the old one for reference, and there are no holes whatsoever, apart from the boot handle. So it's pretty hard to know where to start.

Roger's diagram is great for the TR4 badge lower right but, unless I'm missing something in the downloads, I can't see a diagram for the Triumph lettering set holes above the number plate.

Is my best bet to go for a "rubbing" from a kind member?

Rod

Hi Rod,

I've made a paper template with minimal dimensions

If you PM me your address I'll send it up to you.

Roger

7 hours ago, RogerH said:

Hi Rod,

I've made a paper template with minimal dimensions

If you PM me your address I'll send it up to you.

Roger

Thank you Roger, I will do