his new gearbox? (Rover LT77 to TR)

Bit of a sidestep here.  Have you looked at the TR7/8 gearbox mount?

one big stud up the centre of it that drops through the big hole in the mounting.   The mount sits in a steel bracket with a big square hole cut in it.

TR7 mount

image.jpeg.97ed29c28bc8ba7890d9bf60f9c70a3f.jpeg

199F4975-3CAA-4D0E-B893-145C0BA361B5.png

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT
5 minutes ago, rcreweread said:

Isn't that the same as a Dolly Sprint one as well?

Cheers Rich 

Same style.  Different part numbers.  218559 is Sprint.  TKC1044 is wedge.   Physical differences I do not know.   May be just hardness.

16 minutes ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Same style.  Different part numbers.  218559 is Sprint.  TKC1044 is wedge.   Physical differences I do not know.   May be just hardness.

Theyre having trouble with the quality of the 7 ones now apparently, they dont last five minutes so theyre using a Volvo one instead.

Stuart.

11 minutes ago, stuart said:

Theyre having trouble with the quality of the 7 ones now apparently, they dont last five minutes so theyre using a Volvo one instead.

Stuart.

Yes I have just read that and cannot find a working link to the TR7triumph.com web forum.   Which Volvo?  The 240 that used the J o/d? With the swag mount bracket?

Volvo 740 - 960. a_20150831_1058321043.png

image.png.0fd06a13c2340823a1dfbad71440d1c7.png

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT
31 minutes ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Yes I have just read that and cannot find a working link to the TR7triumph.com web forum.   Which Volvo?  The 240 that used the J o/d? With the swag mount bracket?

Volvo 740 - 960. a_20150831_1058321043.png

image.png.0fd06a13c2340823a1dfbad71440d1c7.png

Yes I think thats the one.

Stuart.

Still the same situation this morning

Ge6mBoiNGdCma-LsOrSV6jx8JTcGU5FOAUdYzdVC

Next I made two wodden wedges and fixed them on my "dummy frame" - they are the position of the rubber mounts.

And fixed the whole stuff there.

ArdiF3T2eBRimvQqZAN2bo6stDezeMTbBVtm-NMn

With the TR gearbox off and item 54 off only item 50 remains in the position we have to connect the LT77 to (hopefully)

RR3uvklK4vQC4puHlcERYKs5_K4I2x3rxu7hFwOC

And it happened what I was afraid of - the outgoing flange is 10 cm closer to the engine and hits item 54.

w-zzt-r3EAPYPM8S3bHde84zFyN-Vm123vs1uOBs

8w5amlmrFXoTr47IVTt8EwV6GXTQyu2MjBtOWDBB

The new bracket has to be based on the rubber mounts, item 50+54 did a great job - and sadly only have been needed some hours.

CUbRU8vYK9tcVumjQhLMA2UgfsA0eLtxR5UIqKWH

The new bracket will look about like this, material is 5 mm steel.

Yes, I will add 3 cross connections for more stiffness.

2ZBYINZ2NMfqWf7a17mEuXzpZCXzBVG0cPLc7Ef4

That's it for today

Ciao, Marco 

Edited by Z320

Hi,

this was a busy week - at my office and at my workshop.

That's what the bracket is now, the rear end some degree angled,

and I decided to make it to use it with a aluminium spacer at the front end.

R4Kj9abRuJsjITHuJf_Bi3-jq_68osasekCqiP9P

My decision for the small wing to the gearbox was this morning for some reason, my first idea was without.

bFq4-0HVO78_yIdQzid8teZ36XhYemymQvgqUlQT

Mostly I'm pleased with my welding seams and hopefully the black paint hides the bad ones (but all are solid).

6Rje2Zu0tGMcFMSBqfN1ecYH7HZjfpglq6pF8Yzc

For making the bracket the LT77 gearbox AND the wooden model was very useful

spY71F18fnXTfMpzum4-TgVzLmKPl5JhqWYo37Ae

The LT77 will go the Jochem (one day...;)), so for any reason I'm making a wooden model...

2PiBIHfm6mZkQvvHRmukffmvpTWQ8LmEFN7miX2X

What will be next?

Jochem send me a box of bits and pieces to check the way of travel of the original and our modyfied shifting gate.

CJlLQqVOeP7i8oAQipaQuXnwTOxTMxzQOzkGLbRk

So next I will finish the excenter.

And Jochem did some measurement this week with his new clutch mechanism and friction plate

eBa0DivpXe9x2A_Sloj683QPvWChl71IyMH8SwCO

POKYXvY-r3Ex4BNvyJvFGY78KdcJ1oLnZPVf79f6

To fit a concentric release bearing, that works easier with the LT77 than with the TR gearbox.

JgHXngWJBTrWFmpoF1UNkQ5m6OUk1CQOQ0dyCtxR

The one I made for him 2 years ago was never used and I will bring it up to TR4A specification and sell it.

That's it for today,

Ciao, Marco

Edited by Z320

M2P : take care, the flat spring bolted to the gearbox extension (bottom of the gear lever) need to be able to move, but bolted by 4 points.

Edited by Chris59
9 hours ago, Chris59 said:

M2P : take care, the flat spring bolted to the gearbox extension (bottom of the gear lever) need to be able to move, but bolted by 4 points.

Hi Chris, you are referring to this spring, correct?

Yes, we plan to keep this in its entirely.

Schaltkulisse6.jpg

15 hours ago, JochemsTR said:

Hi Chris, you are referring to this spring, correct?

Yes, we plan to keep this in its entirely.

Schaltkulisse6.jpg

Yes, it need to be attached to the gearbox by 2x2 points, will little capacity to move. 

Hi there,

the last days I gave some attention to the offset of the excenter.

To give any thoughts on this was not needed at all on my MX5 gearbox project.

The one on thr right side is the first one I made with an "likely" offset, the left I have to finish with the correct offset.

-IlV99NSb4aMzWcY_l9gmKVGf4PZPQaZI9GV98-2

This is about how I hope to find out.

First I had to realise; THIS shifting gate is a gearbox (believe it or not)!

You can't see gears? I show you.

W-ej1a0XetqBI74ij4wPMO0SkSWXklxm_3Tf9QAr

This is the the 1st and 2nd gear, the ratio is abot 2.1 / 1 - this speeds the shaft (coming from the right side) up!

(the ratio is only about 2.1 with small deflection, the ratio rises on more deflection because the shifter lever slides through the rose joint)

W_N6SVLNxBlMQmq2G5uXlhPYVJof78oBKMfxSXCH

The 3rd gear is on the same shaft, the 4th gear is on the shifter shaft (length is only possible to guess), the ration starts at about 1.4 / 1, this also speeds up the shaft.

qc-cVJt0yxkMwF6Lry_uszNobccMsIH0Yfn1gpuZ

The total ratio is about 2,1 x 1,4 = 3

By making the shifting gate shorter I kicked out the 2nd and 3rd gear and now only have the 1st and have to determain the 4st, now 2nd.

Today I checked what I only had in my mind.

rScRwHyvTWgqX_nAxa-xleGPfhvzNy54pIyh8vuI

First with an (ugly greasy) orginal shifting gate first, a short stoke on my scale is 5°, a long one 10°, the indicator adjusted to a long stroke

VGmW19hskCGUkW3B-4Rwv7T4UKvZ_sGOxEvnyQp5

Moving the shifter lever 5° sidewards (App on my IPhone) gives 15° on the shifter shaft. I'm very pleased with my calculation...

wTjBhNHtdvWtGC0_T2--mBvr_wCB5zk_eO9M0HUX

Next with the reverse gear release in position: the lower end of the lever stops after moving only about 3.5°, this is the 1-N-2 gate

Xa-dY8j_-rpuwPVxVTi8vn__dzQUM6r_juRdBJFH

Next with the alread shorter shifting gate and gear lever direct in my experimental excenter.

8NXbs-685a55ng3cl5mwfGhoCpBnuUHqSXJ-X_Tu

TOTAL OVERDO! Some degrees less than 30° by moving the lever less than 4°, The ratio is about 1 : 8 to 1 : 10!

WRCLla1-3LJXh-oQG8GH36e8lYOy_KdBI7AF_LTc

Now I know what to do and hope I have the space to manage it (others did it too, so I guess I get it suitable).

Guys who told us it is easy to get a LT77 gearbox in a TR6 in my opinion are wrong and never did it.

That's it for today.

Ciao, Marco

Edited by Z320

Hi again,

the needed dimension of the excenter I realised with a "washer" bolted on my adapter and hoped my calculation is correct.

oqyDvN_2va2Q7hlCtjlwAVQw_o6bc6wEqIRaXjys

If not, I could bolt another one on the adapter

r6ToQ-T5F7Jc9Z-GJlpTAc2KeK4FBHQVfkqJnKtT

First test

g9EME7jslXLOhxGbyGHxK1XPRAlAyI5mGcZvaoAs

...and it "worked well"

BFjqYThR1WfNfJXGXwr5qVv1xsnyghsf6Qobq0td

But the rose joint hits the reverse release .... item

For the photo I aready lowered it with a wire between the bolts and the .... item

_kBb_re1H27QPn6rxi6cnfvZEcS1n7aVJKTxxMj0

Anyway it is not possible to move the lever to the right (the rose joint to the left)

lS3nUpjKi3C4-5-ZpBmac7TsozevntKxH2I_OmPn

I think I have to make the whole issue new,

but I'm afraid this is anyway the case, because the mechanism is MUCH too wide to the right side for the console of the H-frame.

CbbY9guGrv7BQAcvczXqp_1UV58i8nT7uk0ITdKC

Please compare how tall the TR mechanism is

gX3BkJK6UMhE34OT7Ae6bwQ57IL7FQ57-bcOAa6y

To me it seems a LT77 gearbox is not much easier to fit on a TR than a MX5 gearbox....

Ciao, Marco

TBH Im not too sure why you would want one of those boxes as apart from as an engineering exercise they were never that good anyway, If you want an alternative box then the Ford T5 as used on the Sierra Cosworth is a great box and pretty bomb proof, back in the 80`s we were racing an XJS V12 with one of those boxes fitted to it and we never broke it in 3 seasons racing.

Stuart

Edited by stuart

Thank you for this very interesting advice.

Also to be honest: I‘m only helping Jochem, the LT77 has been recommended to him.

Maybe I should stop reporting, if the LT77 is not a good choice…..?

Edited by Z320
1 hour ago, stuart said:

TBH Im not too sure why you would want one of those boxes as apart from as an engineering exercise they were never that good anyway, If you want an alternative box then the Ford T5 as used on the Sierra Cosworth is a great box and pretty bomb proof, back in the 80`s we were racing an XJS V12 with one of those boxes fitted to it and we never broke it in 3 seasons racing.

Stuart

+1 and I used them in rallying years ago with BDA engine’s 

After a 2 days brake today I made the reverse mechanism issue as slim as possible

EJqy4AkY0BUwzhnobket7alMvGkRqc7OY3wIGFWj

A hacksaw job

NT6Gl_UhK1kxtWCIyZ7u5xyps9vEgCarGW24MCDl

After sandblasting first a test welding

rItl8sZmpiRh-wcmIv6PBYBIxK3HMMC5UKotrFpZ

welded from both sides

LuBKLoL-_Ww68x7GegW79-p5eIiYsDUZR-lYvA2b

hopefully slim enough

BIwAHQrDzIH-k9r1Je6tkp0-Gz7_dAjiClJj6wl_

7ssPELL_WQs6y6ufY6u7PQQkApt9WCCsZVebYbwX

next I will fit the release master, that is pretty easy on the LT77, there is space enough because of some reasons

dNDlHqEre9TVGZ0K5jRTTMtwGDTEyjknSZTz3v2w

I can use the original aluminium backplate this time with a spacer / distancer, calculated to Jochem's measurement

s5oSZH7OACdtXlAcNR7O2uTTtYa_1H_oyPrK6Ri-

Tomorrow it will be finished.

Ciao, Marco

Edited by Z320

Today I modyfied the front gearbox cover and its "nose"

MCDZ2AqT6btWVIg5dySJih2bCX3M7d080XXPL__r

The LT77 gearbox shaft is not such monster like on the TR gearbox, this is why not much work is needed

(some of you may know my post about fitting a Sachs release cylinder on my TR gearbox).

First fitting a trust strap to avoid spinning, this is the only fixing

FLwtrNaAfo3m1LLE5bWAKbM6n4QQmcbAr3644n39

The spacer / distancer has a tight fit

PlGGiZw9urwp6fOSN6dARnvUS_0immTY2GYqw7zE

The backplate with the hydraulic cylinder also.

The piping I offered Jochem to do in copper, he want's o do it different.

What I finaly had to do is to make the toothed Shaft some [mm] shorter.

p5EDQW2VwOptshHLTIYSZ5p9mL1wB3FOQ9xgJiM0

With a new cutting insert and because the gearboox is in pieces that worked very well

oPYdc2tEJGf4NBRU0CZ7_G22xnEzPDlaEXBTg3Yx

Another possibility is to modify the pilot bearing....

e7YACEPRBvkybQrwi34Bzvzflo4HPu4EgC8cUlxk

6YQ3gd8mfmdErfj-JKxaENmxS9vKTmAzy0JJ6NoY

Well....my part of the job is done and the LT77 has to go, Thursday Jochem will pick it up.

X6NR8ood07xmli3Ru-zdAYV15r44cVBG5b4BXevi

And perhaps he will continue the story?

That's it from me for the moment, ready for a brake before a new challenge.

Ciao, Marco

Edited by Z320

With this project, we primarily wanted to show that other transmissions such as Mazda or LT77 can be installed in a TR6. Marco has described the Mazda conversion already in detail here. To my knowledge an LT77 conversion described in this detail is only shown here so far. Of course there are a few other alternatives. BMW Getrag, Ford T5 .... BUT: these are merely statements. "Just install this, I would just use that". This project shows once again that you have to deal with small details for a very long time. Not only the procurement of parts can be problematic (Getrag gearboxes are not found everywhere), but the technical challenges and concepts are rarely addressed. Regardless of what is mentioned, if you don't want to compromise, and a transmission is really supposed to be installed one-to-one in a TR6, there is no plug-and-play solution.

Marco, many thanks for your help.

Jochem

Edited by JochemsTR

Nice solution to complete a specific conversion.

Looks like a lot less effort than the Magda ‘box fitting as the mounting/matching to the engine was already done by BL transmissions.   Logical really.  

Peter W

3 hours ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Nice solution to complete a specific conversion.

Looks like a lot less effort than the Magda ‘box fitting as the mounting/matching to the engine was already done by BL transmissions.   Logical really.  

Peter W

Not often you see "logical" and "BL" in the same paragraph! :ph34r:

Pete

1 minute ago, stillp said:

Not often you see "logical" and "BL" in the same paragraph! :ph34r:

Pete

Especially not where BL was concerned :lol:

Stuart.