You've got to hand it to the stewards who can make inconsistancy the most consistant actions they do 

"the incident was merely noted and not investigated, it meant the stewards will not have reviewed the telemetry from Verstappen’s car highlighting his corner entry speed, braking point and steering inputs."

So the best and unarguable information is not even viewed ! and  decisions made merely upon what they can see on a monitor picture ! not even from inside Verstappens car ! There are some very strange forces at work in F1 !

Mick Richards 

Yeah, Mercedes have asked for the stewards decision to be reviewed in line with the new evidence.

Mick Richards

What’s the chances nothing happens? I think the powers that be are under massive pressure to create a new champion…..therefore no penalty will be issued in my opinion. Hope I’m wrong:-)

Iain

1 hour ago, Motorsport Mickey said:

Yeah, Mercedes have asked for the stewards decision to be reviewed in line with the new evidence.

Mick Richards

I don’t think there will be any penalty. I think they will want the championship settled by the drivers and teams on track and not by the stewards. 
and preferably at the last race. 

Well the latest decision should add some spark to racing, throwing one up the inside is clearly the winning strategy, run your opponent out of room and away you go, no penalty but your opponent in the scenery. Time for Valteri to show what he’s made of! :-)

19 hours ago, iain said:

Well the latest decision should add some spark to racing, throwing one up the inside is clearly the winning strategy, run your opponent out of room and away you go, no penalty but your opponent in the scenery. Time for Valteri to show what he’s made of! :-)

So your suggestion is that Valteri shoves Max into the shrubbery leaving the way clear for Lewis to win and score a 25 point difference.  Valteri presumably continues penalty free to come second for Mercedes. :rolleyes:

Rgds Ian

6 hours ago, Ian Vincent said:

So your suggestion is that Valteri shoves Max into the shrubbery leaving the way clear for Lewis to win and score a 25 point difference.  Valteri presumably continues penalty free to come second for Mercedes. :rolleyes:

Rgds Ian

You mean, just like Susuka, Japan, 1990?   First lap, first corner, Senna goes off taking Prost with him for a dual DNF, but one that left Senna as World Champion.    Duplicating the same the previous year that got Prost the same.     Those were the days!

So now both teams are complaining that overtaking rules are not being made clear.   And that the track limits are not defined.

Hah!    In club racing if you put as much as a whole tread width over that white line, you will be penalised.  I know - I've been there!   But in F1, the "white line" seems to include the whole width of the kerb striations, as that is what the whole field uses, when they want to.   In the Hamilton/Verstappen incident, half the run off area too!   

The teams want consistency - so do ordinary drivers.

3 hours ago, john.r.davies said:

So now both teams are complaining that overtaking rules are not being made clear.   And that the track limits are not defined.

Hah!    In club racing if you put as much as a whole tread width over that white line, you will be penalised.  I know - I've been there!   But in F1, the "white line" seems to include the whole width of the kerb striations, as that is what the whole field uses, when they want to.   In the Hamilton/Verstappen incident, half the run off area too!   

The teams want consistency - so do ordinary drivers.

+1 

The stewards are unapologetically just making decisions...any decisions that will keep the two teams out there competing and the public interested in somebody winning. As John says the rules are clear, they just need a correct ruling made against them. When a driver takes this too far and ends up running another rival into a vertical stanchion killing him, the hand wringing and chest beating from teams and officials will be off the scale. 

Mick Richards  

+1 Mick. It's the disregard of safety that gets me. How can any racer argue, for example, that it was ok not to slow down for double waved yellows because the marshall was wrong?  What a crazy and, frankly, fortunately hind-sighted viewpoint; there could have been any kind of serious danger on track - and may well be next time. 

Nowadays, the Armco is so far back on a F1 cicruit that the marshals and their flags are far, faraway.   That's why the trackside lights and for F1, lights on the steering wheel have been introduced.   But they are not linked, and as Christian Horner said, excusing his driver, the electronic systems and the flagging marshals were not coordinated.   It would be nice, perhaps too nice, to say that the referee is always right and so are the marshals, but it's easy to miss a flag.   I know, and probably you too, Mickey!

Ch4 showed video from one of the cars of the incident and had to highlight the waved flag it was so small on the screen.    

John