Having nothing to do yesterday afternoon, and it being a clear, if somewhat chilly day, I took the TR out for a run. At this time of year you never know if it will be your last chance before next spring ( I will not be using it on salt laden roads after all the time restoring it). I set off keeping to all the back roads and did my usual routes around the vale of York, 80 miles in total over about 3 hours.  However, I kept having these twinges of guilt, with all that is going on at the moment with climate change, and the Cop26 in Glasgow, I found myself wondering how long it will be before pleasure trips like this are frowned upon, or even legislated against. 

I wonder if we will see a time when classic cars are only allowed out within a certain radius of home to attend shows, and will shows become a thing of the past because they temp people out of their homes and into their cars to attend.

I certainly hope not.

Ralph

Edited by Ralph Whitaker

I believe that the classic car movement has a considerable following by people with governmental influence and money. 

we have been excluded from road tax, mot’s, congestion charges, fuel has retained low or no ethanol options.

the likes of Goodwood and these participants and owners I am sure will ensure our classics will be the last petrol engines on the road and track.

I will offset elsewhere until then. Working from home is my single biggest contribution.

Long May classic car /bike usage continue. fingers crossed.

I think the Norwegians have just about got it right: export your oil and gas to be burnt elsewhere and with the the largesse accumulated you build hydro- electric dams and wind generators to be used in a non carbon creating economy at home:)

james

3 minutes ago, james christie said:

I think the Norwegians have just about got it right: export your oil and gas to be burnt elsewhere and with the the largesse accumulated you build hydro- electric dams and wind generators to be used in a non carbon creating economy at home:)

james

Hi James,

Is that not what we did with North Sea oil and gas but forgot to hold onto the revenue?

Let us not forget here there are 5-6 million Norwegians total population, which is half the population of Paris.   Not a lot of electricity needed?

Discuss…….

1 hour ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Consider that tree planted.

Now, if I plant a spaghetti tree will I be able to offset in Italy in the same way?

Only if you turn up for the harvest. 

5D3E3B13-48E5-44AF-8581-7E9A431E9BB1.jpeg

50 minutes ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Hi James,

Is that not what we did with North Sea oil and gas but forgot to hold onto the revenue?

Let us not forget here there are 5-6 million Norwegians total population, which is half the population of Paris.   Not a lot of electricity needed?

Discuss…….

And there is also a lot more potential for hydro electricity in Norway than there is in the UK. 

Rgds Ian

2 hours ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

but forgot to hold onto the revenue?

I am now a distant and probably ignorant follower of UK economics but wasn't it North Sea oil that paid for the M25?

Oh and the pensions funded by BP and Shell profits.....

james

15 hours ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Does that mean I can offset my carbon footprint by driving 3000 miles in France instead of England?

I think that is the general idea.

Get rid of your waste plastic problem by exporting it to third world countries and make them the ones that dump it in the sea.

Forbid mining of coal in the UK because it doesn`t fit with our "green" policies, but it is OK to import 50,000 tons a year from Russia.

Build a new power station that burns wood chips because that`s carbon neutral, then import 1 million tons of woodchips a year from the USA and Canada.  (Drax)

Erect a new power station at Ferrybridge that burns domestic waste, then have 100 articulated lorries a day, 7 days a week, bringing the waste from other areas.

All seems tickety boo to me !

Ralph

49 minutes ago, John Morrison said:

Am I the only one here not lying, sleepless at nights, worrying about such stuff?

I worry about the people who agonise about all this and who help bring about such nonsense.

The way things are going, in the blind panic to fix something that really does not need fixing, they are going to take the world back to the dark ages (maybe literally).  

58 minutes ago, RobH said:

I worry about the people who agonise about all this and who help bring about such nonsense.

The way things are going, in the blind panic to fix something that really does not need fixing, they are going to take the world back to the dark ages (maybe literally).  

truth told I'm sure you do not waste time worrying about others, its an easy fix, just stop having children.

I am a firm believer that nature finds a way, for example, leave an unused car outside for a few years and see how quickly nature dissolves it and plants take root on it.

Sink a battleship or two and see them turn into coral reefs.

Global warming produces a wetter steamy environment and makes trees and plant life grow much quicker.

Simplistic I know, but hey ho.

Seriously though, I try to buy stuff with as little plastic packaging as possible, I sit and shiver under duvets during winter to keep my ever more expensive gas usage to a minimum, and I never throw away clothes, when they are too shoddy for best they get gradually downgraded to loafing about, working in the garage, and finally cut up into rags, which when grimy and oil soaked are used to light the wood burner in the garage.  Greta Thunberg (apologies if I spelt that incorrectly) would be proud!

What more can one man do?

All of which I feel offsets my occasional  trips in my classic cars.

Ralph

As has been said many times before, any changes we make are irrelevant.  There are 8 billion people in the world and rising; of those 8 billion about a quarter of them live in India and China and we represent less than 1%.  We (and other developed countries) have been enjoying a 'First world' lifestyle for at least the last 100 years and the vast majority of China's and India's population have not.  Now, not unreasonably from their point of view, they want to enjoy the same consumer lifestyle that we have had and we are trying to tell them they can't have it because it will be bad for the world.  Fat chance of that succeeding.

Rgds Ian

Be proud of driving your classic car. It has a much lower total carbon footprint than most other cars when you take into account the carbon to manufacture and recycle a new car which have an average lifespan of just over 8 years. My TR3 has lasted 8 times the average so I am saving the planet one new car at a time.

Mick

11 hours ago, R.M. said:

you know what folks this is a forum about "TRIUMPH OWNERSHIP" not a statement about world problems, so lets all drop it now and get back to the cars.

Agreed.  This is banter not technical support.

Can Mods move this thread to the restricted club area.

Peter W

Thinking long-term to the post-petrol era. Carb'd TRs could be converted to run on ethanol, then all you need is a field of sugar beet and a still...............