Brake servo...

• 2 years later...

Past Parts reconditioned (and fitted  a SS sleeve) on my clutch and master cylinders during my restoration.

This summer, the clutch master cylinder started leaking, so I called PP, and decided to dismantle it myself, also because of shipping costs. Upon opening I found a longitudinal direction scratch and “black smear”, so I think the seal was attacked by the SBF (DOT5). It does not feel swollen, or soft, or hard. I contacted PP during the resto and they confirmed SBF was compatible with the seals, and so did Moss (who supplied the other seals in the systems).

Now a question:
I tried to remove the scratch (it is not deep) with a  scotch pad but this does not remove it entirely. Can I use a spring-loaded hone stone (grit 240) with petroleum on the SS liner or will this make things worse? 

Okne the scratch is gone I will fit a new seal kit and hopes this solves it.

Thanks,

Waldi

13 minutes ago, Waldi said:

Past Parts reconditioned (and fitted  a SS sleeve) on my clutch and master cylinders during my restoration.

This summer, the clutch master cylinder started leaking, so I called PP, and decided to dismantle it myself, also because of shipping costs. Upon opening I found a longitudinal direction scratch and “black smear”, so I think the seal was attacked by the SBF (DOT5). It does not feel swollen, or soft, or hard. I contacted PP during the resto and they confirmed SBF was compatible with the seals, and so did Moss (who supplied the other seals in the systems).

Now a question:
I tried to remove the scratch (it is not deep) with a  scotch pad but this does not remove it entirely. Can I use a spring-loaded hone stone (grit 240) with petroleum on the SS liner or will this make things worse? 

Okne the scratch is gone I will fit a new seal kit and hopes this solves it.

Thanks,

Waldi

The item I think you suggest is sold as a brake cylinder honing tool  I have had success using the same type of tool in a Lockheed TR2 brake/clutch master cylinder.

https://www.diy.com/departments/small-brake-cylinder-hone-triple-leg-engine-honing-bore-flexi-glaze-buster/5056133335095_BQ.prd

IMG_2205.jpeg

Ive had some success with one of those honing tools, however it would depend on 1. How deep the "Scratch" is and 2.How compressed the new seal is in the bore i.e. would it take up more clearance as to whether it would be a work around.

Stuart.

Thanks Peter and Stuart,

I have a honing tool like this and used it on aluminium cylinders several times, always with good results.

The question is more if the SS sleeve can be honed like this too.

I have nylon brushes too that I can put in my drill, but feel the stones will better remove the high spots. The scratch is likely from a tool-withdrawal during revision or so because it is not “straight”.

Upon closer comparison I noticed the new seal is a bit stiffer, so maybe swelling due to incompatibility is the main issue.

Waldi

42 minutes ago, RogerH said:

Hi Waldi,

the SBF is very ineffective on doing anything to almost any rubber seal.  It really is quite passive.

All the seals sold for DOT4  will work well with DOT5 with no issues.

Roger

You mean DOT5.1 or DOT5?

We had many diskussions here in Germany. And I guess, the the silicone-stuff is not always compatible, or?

41 minutes ago, Casar66 said:

You mean DOT5.1 or DOT5?

We had many diskussions here in Germany. And I guess, the the silicone-stuff is not always compatible, or?

The brake seals you buy through all the big suppliers are compatible with Dot 4 or DOT 5. There are no dedicated SBF seals.

Roger

Edited by RogerH

I refurbished mine myself, as the diaphragm was in good shape for being 45 years old. A rubber re-conditioner put it back into top form, and everything else was taken apart, cleaned, and reassembled with new seals. It's imminently do-able if the diaphragm's in decent shape.

If the bore is scored, it is unlikely the brake fluid affecting the seal will have caused it.

More likely the score will be the consequence of grit or other hard material getting in there. Or possibly damage from new during assembly ultimately resulting in leakage as the seals wear and deteriorate over time.

It’s ok to use a honing tool to polish the score out if it is not too deep.

Hi Andy and Marco,

this afternoon I used a nylon 19 mm brush with chrome polish on my battery drill, as I was not sure the conventional honing tool stones would make the SS liner worse. It came out perfect after thorough cleaning, I can no longer see or feel the scratch.

Since the scratch was not linear but “bended”, I think this was caused during assembly (by Past Parts) or disassembly (by me).
No finger-pointing intended.

I will install the MC tomorrow but guess it will take a couple of 1000 miles before I know if the issue is resolved.

The old seal cup was softer than the one that came in the aftermarket repair kit, so maybe it was attacked by the SBF.

Waldi