Background sort of 'Schissing' sound from my engine...doesn't change if I dip the clutch. So listened around with a rubber hose pipe...Water Pump sounded quite noisy.

I popped the belt off and the pulley spins freely enough. So assuming it's the water pump bearings...are they easy to change, or get hold of new ones, do I need special tools, and do you have to drain the coolant?

Or...any harm in just leaving it?

And, was it my fault for being lazy, greasing it the last few times with CV grease that was in my gun?

They are easy to change, just a spanner. Drain down the cooling system, then remove the three nuts and spring washers around the pump. Remove, then clean off the old gasket, and fit a new gasket and pump. Before doing this I would check for play in the pump by removing the belt and trying to moving the pulley from side to side. There should be very small movement if any.

It may not be the pump as sometimes the fan belt can also make noises. To test just put a very small amount of WD40 or rub a wax candle on the belt and see if the noise stops.

It may also be the alternator bearings.

Dave

The water pump can't be too bad if it doesn't leak coolant from the tell tale hole underneath- put there by Triumph to indicate seal failure. The noise could be the timing chain.

If you're water pump is greaseable it's probably an original- much, much better quality than modern copies and rebuildable. I'd get it rebuilt rather than replace it .

www.ep-services.co.uk

Hi Denis,

I used 'EP Services' to rebuild the original water pump on my early CR car and was delighted with the service. The bearings on mine were worn which was identified using a stethoscope and probe.

Hope this helps, Peter

Thanks for all your replies.

Yes, it's the original water pump (Aug 69 CP Pi car) and No it doesn't move about or leak, with the fan belt off it just spins freely, albeit you can hear it spinning.

I'll have a listen with my trusty rubber hosepipe to the Alternator which is the original one too 75,000 miles.

Timing chain well it was changed in an engine rebuild less than 10,000 miles ago...Really? Would that make a light sort of 'Shissing' light scraping sound ?

Timing chain well it was changed in an engine rebuild less than 10,000 miles ago...Really? Would that make a light sort of 'Shissing' light scraping sound ?

It would if the tensioner was worn through..

Stuart.

It would if the tensioner was worn through..

Stuart.

Stuart,

Unfortunately Stuart is correct, this part is well known for poor quality! I had the fortune to have a new OE one and was told to make sure that I used that on my rebuild. Another job for our QA Team?

Bruce.

Heard from a well known engine rebuilder that the quality issue was only short lived and that all is now fine with tensioner quality.

Cheers

Tim

My original one is bright and shiny, probably hard-chromed.

I bought 2 new ones from different suppliers, they were black, so maybe had a treatment like salt-bath?

The original had too much wear and I could not find a good used one so installed the new black item.

Waldi

Wasn't there also an issue ( or is) with poor quality chains having sharp edges - I would imagine one of these would give a hard time to even the best tensioner - or was that another of my weird dreams!!

Cheers

Rich

Hi Rich,

Thats what I understand. My old chain was smooth and shiny, probably from normal wear.

I bought a better quality Wippermann chain, it was not as smooth as I hoped.

Time will tell.

Waldi

• 1 month later...
On 8/31/2018 at 8:32 PM, rcreweread said:

Wasn't there also an issue ( or is) with poor quality chains having sharp edges - I would imagine one of these would give a hard time to even the best tensioner - or was that another of my weird dreams!!

Cheers

Rich

Hi Rich,

this wasn't one of those weird dreams :o

As posted above go for the German IWIS. These are well made and have no sharp edges.

Roger

I bought the Wippermann chain from Chris Wittor. Wippermann is a well known chain manufacturer too, but the links were not really smooth finish, as a result of the fabrication process ( the links are stamped from strip or plate). For many applications this does not matter, but with the Triumph sliding tensioner it does, obviously.

Are the IWIS chain links polished/smooth?

Waldi

On ‎8‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 6:36 PM, DaveR said:

They are easy to change, just a spanner. Drain down the cooling system, then remove the three nuts and spring washers around the pump. Remove, then clean off the old gasket, and fit a new gasket and pump. Before doing this I would check for play in the pump by removing the belt and trying to moving the pulley from side to side. There should be very small movement if any.

It may not be the pump as sometimes the fan belt can also make noises. To test just put a very small amount of WD40 or rub a wax candle on the belt and see if the noise stops.

It may also be the alternator bearings.

Dave

Hi Dave,

If your water pump is on the way out and you change it for a new one as offered by the usual suspects, do not bin your old one as there are a number of companies in the UK that re-con them better than the current replacement ones! There are plenty of tales of woe on this Forum where people have had aggro! I for one! I had to go down the re-con route in the end.

Bruce

Hello Bruce, I agree some of the exchange pumps on offer are not worth using as they have lots of bearing play. Getting yours recon can be a better bet.

Pre 1970's had the greasing nipple, most from 1970 were sealed for life type. Though how long is life?

GT6, Vitesse and big Saloon used the same pump as the TR5 and TR6. Good old parts bin.

Dave

2 hours ago, DaveR said:

Hello Bruce, I agree some of the exchange pumps on offer are not worth using as they have lots of bearing play. Getting yours recon can be a better bet.

Pre 1970's had the greasing nipple, most from 1970 were sealed for life type. Though how long is life?

GT6, Vitesse and big Saloon used the same pump as the TR5 and TR6. Good old parts bin.

Dave

Hi Dave!     My OEM 1973 pump lasted 44 years before starting to leak and I had it re-conned by SP Water Pumps, has now done 5K no problems to date.

Bruce 

If you order a repro unit, which ones should you buy/avoid?

I bought a County, think from Revington, which is now on my car but has not run yet. It feels ok to me, FWIW.

Waldi

Hi Folks,

mine is from the TR Shop and is a PowerTune as was the previous many years ago.

It works OK and was killed by age. 10+ years and 100,000+ miles.

roger 

PS - mine is for a 4A so may be different issue.

Edited by RogerH

I have had an exchange water pump from T.D.Fitchett some 10 years ago on the Vitesse. No problems with it. I understand they rebuild the pumps.

Had a non-exchange pump from another supplier and I sent it back, too much play in the bearings. Bought it as an on the shelf spare, no point!

Wish I could find the original type with the grease nipple.

Don't ask about TR7 water pumps!

Dave