black crackle finish

I did have a contact at Moss in Manchester who would black crackle parts and the results were excellent.

The small factory that did this is now unable to do the finish anymore.

Does someone know of an alternative, I know you can buy black crackle paint but will it work??

+1 for VHT.

I used an electric paintstripper to get the wrinkles.

First made a couple of test pieces.

I controlled the temperarure with an el cheapo IR gun at 100-110 degrees C.

If too hot, it will go wrong.

Very nice result.

Waldi

VHT works surprisingly well. I used it the first time I restored my center dash.

The finish that's there now is powder coat. It looks *exactly* right, and is considerably more durable than rattle-can VHT. I'd talk to your local powder coaters, Pete.

I had two centre dash panels. Initially I used VHT and was unhappy with the uneven finish so I ended up taking the other panel to my local powder coated who did a cracking job.

About 6 months later I came across the one I had sprayed with VHT and it had evened out and looked good.

So in essence, give it a bit of time if you are using a rattle can but if you want it now do what Don says and look for your local powder coater.

Rgds Ian

I primed my centre panel with light primer on back side as well to assist the Gauge lighting which is iffy to say the least. I then used VHT paint and "cooked" it in the oven, or grill, doesn't matter as the smell was bad and wife didn't talk to me for a week, so not all bad. Even temperature is the key although surface preparation is very important. I did preheat the item before painting and that helped greatly, I was unhappy with first attempt but the next was first class, so much so I did a second panel which is somewhere in the spares dept (my loft).

I am going to play with doing my own powder coating and have the black and silver powder and equipment ready but not the time!

Rod,

Also did the rattle can approach on the central console.. looks good... only issue I have found in t he hot weather is that the console itself heats up from engine/exhaust heat until it is too hot for an uncovered leg (e.g. When I wear shorts!).. clearly the original foam backed vinyl offered some insulation from this heat..

Cheers

Tim

I do a lot of black-wrinkle on the wiper-motors. I use the VHT paint, I've tried Hycote and this is poor in comparison.

The wrinkle process is quite tricky to get consistent. It's very dependant on the thickness of the coats and the number of coats.

The thicker heavier coats make bigger more clumsy wrinkles. More thin dry coats make a very fine wrinkle.

Temperature is important also. Really tricky to do in the Winter. You tend to get the clumsy wrinkles. This stuff likes to run easily and this is worse in Winter also.

I test the coats with my finger and go again when they are have reached the "tacky" stage as they dry. I use four thinish coats.

Remember I am spaying vertical surfaces. A horizontal surface would be easier.

I wait a few days and then cook for 1 hour at 100 degC. The paint is much tougher and harder when you do this. The wiper-motors get quite hot when running. If I did not cook the paint, it would go soft when I tested them. And then I'd pick it up and leave finger-marks.

I'd say you can get a good result with this stuff but it takes a bit of practice to get control of it.