How does £52,000 sound ($69500)

Looks legit to me, but some elements seem almost too good -- such as the paint. Had my car been in my living room for the last 56 years I doubt the paint would be that nice.

A few other thoughts:

• One wonders where the seller got the engine size information. He might have taken online data incorrectly. Perhaps the engine was uprated in period -- that was certainly possible.
  • The hammered silver-painted oil filler cap is uncommon, but not too unusual -- my car has one.
  • Rear "occasional" seat -- definitely uncommon, and it looks like the same leather as the front seats, the originality of which I don't know anything. The rear bulkhead panel looks stitched and almost like matching leather, not heat welded vinyl. Seems a bit odd to me.
  • By 1959 the enameled head badge had changed to blue/white with no TRIUMPH name, I thought.
  • Lucas tripod lamps were not original equipment US spec.
  • Original grilles come in varying degrees of tooling "quality". This one has low detail around the crank hole and relatively small openings -- indicating worn tooling. It almost looks like a later replacement. Most of the originals around that time have much "sharper" edges.
  • Air filters look to be painted silver. That's not original.
  • Boot liner and rear panel look very original, and it's not at all easy to find them looking like that.

Hi Don

that rear seat back is identical to the original that was in VHP529 when restored in 1979/80 which i believe to have been the original

Iain

Interesting, Iain. Your and the eBay car are a few years earlier than mine. Here's my rear seat back (note to self: get a better photo...). You can clearly see the heat welded seams in the vinyl.

i-gHjdL6n.jpg

Still driving on a pair of original 1959 whitewall tyres! Must be bonkers!

I guess there's no such thing as an MOT over there.

Ian Cornish

Correct, Ian. No MOT here in the land of the free and the home of the brave. Some states have different rules and annual safety inspections aren't uncommon, but it mostly comes down to personal responsibility. It's part of American culture to not like being told what to do by government.

I know of a long door TR2 that still stands on its original tyres. It doesn't get driven on them, mind, and after a time they're convenient in not needing to have air added to them to keep the sidewalls up! Just because a few tyres on that eBay TR3A are original (like the spare, from the looks of it) doesn't mean they're being driven on.

The commission number is visible in one of the photos. It indeed has one too many twos in the description. It's TS40792L.

Hi

My friend here in Spain has a 1951 XK120 roadster still standing on crossply tyres but not white walls as he is not a Yank, but a Scouser. It is totally original even the tool kit, it is BRG with biscuit interior. I understand that he is about to put new radials on once he finds out the correct size, again not whitewall on wire wheels(72 spokes each).

Dave

So we are saying 'Dont touch, tidy or restore an original car' ?

Pity we didnt think like that a few years ago.

My father bought from new 1970 Tr6 has over the years had a lot done such a resprays (he kept polishing it) and stuff, what a pity.

But does an original owner car still have a higher value and by how much as a %?

My Michelotti Pura is now 30 years old and besides adding a VDO speedo (which can be removed) and some minor mechanica tweeks (without changing bits) its is exactly as it was though it has had some paintwork done. Hope it will keep some extra value then hehehehe

Hi

My friend here in Spain has a 1951 XK120 roadster still standing on crossply tyres but not white walls as he is not a Yank, but a Scouser. It is totally original even the tool kit, it is BRG with biscuit interior. I understand that he is about to put new radials on once he finds out the correct size, again not whitewall on wire wheels(72 spokes each).

Dave

The wheels won't be original with 72 spokes. They were 54 originally and I think changed to 60 in 1958.

I find all this quite interesting.

Without wishing to go off on a limb.

I wanted too ask people how much value they might place on history and trinkets around cars?

My TR5 for instance is I believe the only 5 that is actually recorded on the Michelotti Historical Register.

Does that mean I can ask more hahahah

Seriously for instance cars which have appeared in articles or had famous owners are they more likely to have a greater value? I think so.

I have a special Michelotti car and have got copes of the original articles and magazines at the cars introduction at the motor shows, the key ring made for the Motor shows, a letter from Michelotti when he assigned the car to me, the original flyers handed out on the Motor Show stand and have worked hard to improve the car without changing originality. But I sure as hell wasn't driving driving it on the original tires!

Just asking as I am curious but how many of these things really count?

I mean My father's 1970 TR6 is a I owner car but it was his daily driver for several years. However from necessity it has been resprayed twice, has had a new wing, new hood and interior and a new dashboard. But it has rest pretty original. So how does it work?

Seeing stuff like this with original tires I mean how does this all work?

Whats the criteria here?

T

Edited by Rem18

John and Bob

I will check with the owner, but surely 48 spokes on such a heavy and fast car seems inadequate. I know when I had my Healey 100/6 it had 48 spokes and kept breaking them.

Dave