2 piece Gearbox cover

Not sure that this warrants it's own topic, but the hassles endured with removing a one-piece Poly cover installed by PO (with good intentions), and the cross-threaded 1/4-24 nuts, out-of-position seals, missing bolts really was cause for a re-think here.

Found a local source for a nice looking bit of kit at fair price. Apart from other supposed advantages, even it helps to install a cover properly, that will be a bonus for me and my back...

post-11018-0-33766800-1518037643_thumb.jpgpost-11018-0-31794000-1518037644_thumb.jpgpost-11018-0-74119100-1518037644_thumb.jpgpost-11018-0-20445900-1518037645_thumb.jpgpost-11018-0-63119700-1518037645_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Alf

Yeah we have a similar offering here, it started out very much like the tunnel shown in the photos but it's had a few "hatches" and cut outs designed into it to make life even easier.

http://www.racetorations.co.uk/triumph-c56/tr4-c6/tr4-interior-and-trim-c41/racetorations-split-gearbox-tunnel-tr4-p199

Mick Richards

Thanks for link Mick.

I see Racetorations have both Poly and Fiberglas variations with multitude of cut-outs - nice, but probably double the price. This one is from Clark & Clark. They do have an optional cover

for the speedo drive. The Solenoid, oil fill and OD switches... well I guess buyer has give it a go...

Cheers,

Alf

I fitted a Racetorations 2-part cover in 2004, before Darryl incorporated some of the improvements shown in the current catalogue.

Mine is fibreglass and fitted well as I took a great deal of trouble to get each mounting bolt hole in the correct place, drilling as many as possible from below with the cover braced into position as required. I cut the side hole for gearbox filler (TR4) and an access to the overdrive solenoid.

Ian Cornish

Just to say I have just fitted one of these from Racetorations. Pricey, but a great fit. Somewhat thin in a few places and almost see through in one or two. No detriment as I have covered the lot with 3mm Silent-Coat in the hope this will stop the noise a bit. Mine came without rubber bungs for the three holes that were pre-cut (propshaft, O/D operating shaft and gearbox filler) but they soon followed at no cost.

All looks good so far but yet to try removal of either part.

James

Don't you feel such a twit when you forget an attachment!

I've got one of those yellow lights as well and the cable/gland came apart just like yours - easy fix if you take it apart ( disconnect from mains first!), and screw t all back together tightly

Maybe thats why they were cheap!

Like your gearbox cover very much but be careful if you are fitting underfelt under the carpet as well as your silent coat as it may get a bit tight fitting your H frame

I wrote a book on here some time ago on how to achieve the same result for a lower cost with a cheapo g/box cover and get it to fit properly - don't know how to post a link to it, and it might also bore everyone to death so chickened out!

Cheers

Rich

I wrote a book on here some time ago on how to achieve the same result for a lower cost with a cheapo g/box cover and get it to fit properly - don't know how to post a link to it, and it might also bore everyone to death so chickened out!

Cheers

Rich

Go ahead Rich...Bore me...Bore me, I was thinking of what to do when I get round to it I'd love a few pointers.

Mick Richards

Ok guys - the problem is I dont know how to extract and then post a link to my post - the heading of the thread which I posted in is:

Gearbox cover, which is best?

dated 08 May 2017 - 05:16 PM

Not sure if this works or helps but if you can find the thread, my post is towards the end after which everyone went to sleep - yawn!!!

http://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/61963-gearbox-cover-which-is-best/?hl=%2Bgearbox+%2Btunnel&do=findComment&comment=528344

Maybe someone with more IT skills than me can post a direct link

Cheers Rich

Looking at some of the above posts, I still have to figure where the wiring for the OD switches and solenoid will penetrate the cover. I assume it will be the hole at front top right.

Also, from Ian's comment, I had better take it slow to avoid further thread damage and leakage issues. I might even have a go without the gearbox in position.

Cheers,

Alf

Looking at some of the above posts, I still have to figure where the wiring for the OD switches and solenoid will penetrate the cover. I assume it will be the hole at front top right.

Cheers,

Alf

That is the correct hole.

Stuart.

With the cover jammed in position, I was able to drill pilot holes from beneath the car in a number of places, then open each of these holes to accept the bolt. This enabled me to clamp the cover using some of the bolts. The tricky part is determining the position of the remaining holes where one cannot drill from below, but some strips of masking tape on the floor can indicate the position of the holes, and these can be copied onto the cover, then a small pilot drilled and a file used to get the position right.

Laborious, but worth the effort to get it right. It would have been easier with an assistant to hold the cover in position up top, whilst I worked from below, but I didn't feel it fair to inflict that on my wife!

Unless Racetorations have done it already, one has to drill the hole for the overdrive cabling.

Ian Cornish

Great thanks Stuart, that will save time...

Ian, this cover has all the bolt-holes already done, but, are they all in the right place, is what I still have to find out.

The Racetorations version has a large removable cover at front centre top for the OD switch access I assume - is this feature considered worthwhile?

Alf

I Fitted the Racetorations 2 piece cover. What makes it brilliant is the access cover to the speedo angle drive. If you have ever had the drive fail and have to get to it or replace a speedo cable you'll know what a major job it is. The Racetorations tunnel takes all the agro away - it is brilliant!!!!

You can see mine fitted here: http://tr4a.weebly.com/triumph-tr4a-gearbox-tunnel.html

Best

Paul.

Alf - given that many TRs (including mine) have been re-built, it will be interesting to hear whether the bolt holes now pre-drilled by Racetorations fit the floor and bulkhead on your car!

Please let us know.

Ian Cornish

Great thanks Stuart, that will save time...

Ian, this cover has all the bolt-holes already done, but, are they all in the right place, is what I still have to find out.

The Racetorations version has a large removable cover at front centre top for the OD switch access I assume - is this feature considered worthwhile?

Alf

O/D switch access can be good if you have used repro switches as some of them arent that clever and have been known to fail after a short period of time.

Stuart.

HI Ian,

Sorry if I misled, but My 2-Pce cover is actually from Clark & Clark in Michigan (www.ClarkAndClarkInc.com)and the bolt holes are pre-drilled. I compared it to the Racetorations version for similar features, and the only ones this cover does not have is, the top access for OD switches, oil fill and solenoid access (and maybe the OD "drill setting" access) - I need to assess, but I hope these will be straight forward to accomplish.

Stuart, thanks I will make that cutout for the switches.

Alf

Oil change on gearbox today and I drilled a hole in the gearbox cover to take a tube to gravity feed the box with oil.

Worth putting in this extra access - worked a treat!

post-11421-0-16864500-1518355927_thumb.jpgpost-11421-0-94713000-1518355924_thumb.jpg

Pretty compelling pictures.Just need to establish exact location with appropriate access hole and rubber cover sizes - all in the fullness of time I guess.

one off-topic sidebar question in first pic if I may - how do you get self canceling turn signals to work with Moto-Lita boss?

Alf

Alf, a Moto-Lita boss has no bearing on the self cancelling mechanism for the indicators, that is all determined by a spring cam fitted below the boss on the steering column

Thanks John, did not want to hi-jack, but I do have a new Moto-Lita wheel and Boss sitting on the shelf for over a year now and yet to be fitted - I keep seeing references or hints about fitting this set-up and losing self canceling signals etc, and I never see it addressed in any forum discussion, so, I snuck in a side one here.

my apologies

Alf

With Stuarts input I have to use the hole at top right for the OD wiring and Speedo cable to exit.

Can any one advise how stock my existing wiring and configuration are before I start directing towards that hole.

The gearbox/OD can now come out for refresh and I can clean up and re-tap holes etc. I am now thinking that to fit the front part of the cover as final, on the assumption I can install the motor/ gearbox unit without being impeded by the front part of the cover - this could test all proposed openings?

post-11018-0-17968900-1518400411_thumb.jpgpost-11018-0-10457400-1518400412_thumb.jpgpost-11018-0-39444300-1518400413_thumb.jpgpost-11018-0-78387800-1518400413_thumb.jpgpost-11018-0-06397400-1518400414_thumb.jpg

Oh yes, and are these driveshaft bolts the correct ones?

Cheers,

Alf

post-11018-0-93109900-1518400412_thumb.jpg