Air Bleed Screw

Hi Gavin,

Neil Ferguson is a professional engineer, Triumph enthusiast, and one of the acknowledged experts when it comes to the Lucas PI system.

Neil Thornhill (ntc) is a longtime and knowledgeable enthusiast, but like yours truly strictly an amateur TR nut rather than a professional !

Cheers,

Alec

I have 3 air bleed assemblies and they are all smooth on the diameter going in to the inlet manifold. Do I use araldite or form the diameter to create an interference fit?

Hi Colin! I have always understood that it is an interference fit. If yours is a loose fit in the bore, should be closed up using a ball punch and bearing Loctite or similar smeared on to the outside of the bleed valve Then drifted in using a nylon faced hammer. Mine has not moved in 20 years, since being done.

Bruce.

On a spare set of throttle bodies I have, the air screw came loose, it is not knurled, has an interference fit and apparently was assembled by some hard glue .

Regards,

Waldi

PS: Im a professional (mechanical) engineer but consider myself an amateur compared to some on the forum when it comes to TR topics

You cant beat experience????

I can only recall having seen smooth finished original items which required securing with epoxy - but there may have been some produced with a knurled finish, 40 or 50 years on who knows ?

It's a bit like 'nos', after all these years it's difficult to be sure that something really is unmolested 'new old stock' unless it's an item you purchased yourself from the dealer back in the day. Even then, the Stanpart component originally fitted on the line in 1969 may well have been superceded by a slightly evolved British Leyland component 5 years later, but I reckon that most of us would regard both as 'original' ?

Cheers,

Alec

It's a loose fit so I'll do what was recommended on an earlier post and try and create a little interference and also apply araldite.

I'm relatively new to the forum and have found it very informative and useful when you need information that isn't always available or clear on the internet. I am really bemused by all the comments that fly back and forth sometimes. Surely we are all keen to keep the marque on the road and should work together. There are some very knowledgeable people on here. It all seems very competitive as to who knows the most, or thinks they know the most.

Hopefully we can move forward and continue the great work of the forum.

All the best.

Colin

On the subject of idle air bleed screws, does anyone have a spare they’d be willing to sell to me?

Steve

I also noticed that posts have been removed.

Its just such a pity that the club management don't have the backbone to

get rid of the problem.

Henry II springs to mind with Becket............at least he had a positive result.

My previous post suggested that people shouldn't hijack what was a rather interesting thread about the different types of bleed screws that may be fitted and how to secure them. Perhaps you are correct Roger and it was swept away never to be seen again - just as if it never happened and without explanation. Does this happen a lot? E

Back to the plot, i’m still looking for an air bleed valve

Not listed on the Chris Witor site, lots of other stuff bit not this.

Steve

Hello ETG,

and welcome to the Forum. Always good to read new contributors.

No this sort of spat doesn't happen a lot, very rarely in terms of the sheer number of topics that get raised on here and the huge quantity of posts . . . . .

Compared to some car forums I've browsed in the past we seem to be, generally, an exceptionally polite and civilised bunch . . . . :rolleyes:

Just now and again something or someone goes a tad OTT, and there's a bit of toing and froing for a day or two, then it's all back to normal laid back service and smiles.

It must be several years since we had an occurrence like today's 'Mr Angry' and his extraordinary contributions, but as they say there's always one and he's bound to pop up sooner or later.

Our moderators achieve a pretty good ambience overall, the once in a blue moon spat shouldn't be enough to discourage any TR man !

Cheers

Alec

attachicon.gif152685A_small.JPG

Steve, is this what you are after.

Air bleed screw. Chris Witor £6

Yes i saw that Mark, but i need the whole assembly not just the ‘big screw’

Ie i need the body, spring and screw

Steve