Car ramps, lifts or jack for a TR5?

Hello everyone

Looking for any recommendations for solid equipment to jack a TR5 up.

I've done some research and looked at hydraulic ramps and a master pro, I know I could get a low level jack with axle stands but thought I would pull on the vast experience of this forum for any suggestions before I commit myself.

Not looking for something cheap, happy to pay good money if decent equipment that will do the job and gets the car up higher that just a foot or so off the ground.

Car is in double garage with concrete base and power.

Thank in advance guys.

Edited by MikeThomas

You can get excellent results by using the search box (top right of the page) try and avoid 3 letter words like oil, but of you add an s to it the search for oils will often turn up subjects with oil in it also.

Here let me start you off, a search on Scissor lifts in New Content found 61 posts spread over 3 pages, not all are pertinent but I'd be surprised if you don't get at least 20 posts from it, (some from me). I've tried to load it but the website is playing silly buggars at present.

http://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=search&fromMainBar=1

Mick Richards

Edited by Motorsport Mickey

Mike

I had a scissor lift for some time (Strongman Tools item http://sm-t.co.uk/product/tamar-2-8-ton-mobile-scissor-lift-manual-release/)- good access for all four wheels but not good for access to the centre of the car... Four post lift potentially has the opposite benefits!

Good luck and Merry Christmas!

Cheers

Ian

Edited by ianhoward

Mike,

As Ian says you have to carefully decide upon your requirements. Ians lift I presume was the Strongman Tamar which is a well priced lift (around £1200 from memory) allowing full corner access and a degree of undercar access, however it does have some equipment between the ramps which restricts the down car access.

post-6602-0-06210600-1513808871_thumb.jpg

Wheras I chose the Strongman Clifton lift,( these are about £2300 new but are regarded as being an excellent quality scissor lift) this lift allows full wheel access to each corner but has 2 separate ramps with a gap of 820mm between them allowing full down car access also, useful for engine, gearbox, exhaust system and rear axle access without hindrance from under car junk. I was fortunate to find a used model that had been "snatched back" from a hire firm after only little usage, it cost me just under £800 complete. I then sunk it into the concrete floor. These are restricted height lifts giving a 1 metre from floor, (both Tamar and Clifton) which allows a car to be lifted inside most standard single car garages.

post-6602-0-90796700-1513809488_thumb.jpg

Unless you wish to go for a 4 post ramp which does tend to eat up your in garage space, or a 2 post lift where you do have to be VERY picky about the quality of the concrete used and it's thickness, a standard garage base won't do.

Mick Richards

Hi Mike,

I looked at many options when researching lifts and ramps. There's a lot of good advice on the forum in the many threads on the subject. I went for the SJR Garage Equipment scissor lift in the end and found it perfect for my needs. I leave it in place, with a couple of planks secured either side of it so as to get clearance. Car is parked over it. When driving over it forwards, some of the mechanics of the thing does restrict access around the gearbox area a little, but if I needed to I could get around that by reversing over the lift. It's definitely not for the professional, but works well for me.

Here's a short film of mine in action ...

Cheers, Darren

Mike,

I also have a scissor lift giving 4 wheel clear and taking up no additional space in the garage when the TR is parked over the ramp. Under car access is a little restricted but I have easily changed the gearbox by thinking about which way round to put the car on the ramp for the planned job. One end has a lot more access than the other due to the arrangement of the hydraulic lift.

One consideration is that there are different versions of this ramp and care should be taken on selection to ensure it is narrow enough to easily fit between the wheels on the TR. My version was stated to be narrow giving plenty of clearance but a colleague had a standard width which requires a lot of care to position the car.

Best decision I ever made.

Neil

As Neil says the TR is a relatively narrow car and the width in between the ramps needs to be considered, balancing being able to pick up on the chassis for lifting the car and having enough space between the ramps to carry out work up the centre of the car.

post-6602-0-09481800-1513847074_thumb.jpg

This is a TR6 lifted on a Clifton model lift, the rear IRS subframe area just locates upon the ramps at the rear and there is a movable crossmember being used at the front. The clue is in the name, being moveable it can be located anywhere along the length of the ramps and depending upon the car placement upon the ramps even underneath the rear of the engine to support the sump (with a scissor jack and protection between) if the gearbox is being removed. The crossmembers can be supplied yourself made from suitable U channel and should overlap onto the ramps by a generous amount either side.

Or you could buy a tailor made crossmember supplied by Strongman which will of course be a little more costly

post-6602-0-85580000-1513847696_thumb.jpg

There are all sorts of derivatives available using many different sorts of lifts, your particular circumstances will dictate which suits your application best.

Mick Richards

Hi Mike

If you have enough height ? go for a 4 poster with a jack beam or 2 jack beams. I'm lucky to have just enough height, width and length to fit a small 4 poster. - Pictures attached. I don't quite have enough height to raise the car more than 1.6 mtres. So I use a small mechanics chair to work underneath. Works well for me. The cost was about £1800, but you have to fit it yourself. That was fairly easy, except that you will need some sort of lifting gear (a good mobile engine crane would do) and the help of 1 or 2 friends to position the ramps, as they are 750 kgs each. And yes you need ( I think it's min of 15cms) thickness of concrete to fit the posts and raw bolts. I have 20 cms. I've now had this ramp for approx 2 years and it's great. I love it. It makes things so much easier. Worth every penny. Well pleased. best Bill

post-391-0-19720300-1513866577_thumb.jpg

attachment=25070:AS-4T36-spec2.jpg]

post-391-0-36662500-1513867122_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bill Bourne

Hello everyone,

Just a big thank you for all your comments, you have given me something to ponder over the festive season, your posts really help. Swaying towards the SJR 900mm as against 1030mm scissor jack. The video clip from Darren TR5tar shows what it can do.

Not sure how deep the garage base is for any four or twp poster lifts so that along with the extra cost will rule them out. I have a mate in my village who has an Austin Healey 300 and mark one Jag, he uses two hydraulic jacks, so a visit coming. Will pop back in the NY and let you know what I decide on.

Footnote; great forum with great contributors, worth every penny of my membership fee!

Mike

Has anyone tried the ez lift that Holden now stock? (ezcarlift.com). Could be another option.

I picked up a set of CJ Autos CR12’s as a lower-cost/space option.... not perfect but they do help

.... Andy

Hello everyone,

Just a big thank you for all your comments, you have given me something to ponder over the festive season, your posts really help. Swaying towards the SJR 900mm as against 1030mm scissor jack. The video clip from Darren TR5tar shows what it can do.

Not sure how deep the garage base is for any four or twp poster lifts so that along with the extra cost will rule them out. I have a mate in my village who has an Austin Healey 300 and mark one Jag, he uses two hydraulic jacks, so a visit coming. Will pop back in the NY and let you know what I decide on.

Footnote; great forum with great contributors, worth every penny of my membership fee!

Mike

Hi Mike,

Let me know if you want any other photos or details about the lift I have. I've been very pleased with it.

Cheers, Darren

I think if I were considering a scissor lift I would want one with legs that slide along its own base/tray such as Strongman's Galton High Rise: http://sm-t.co.uk/product/galton-high-rise-scissor-lift/ as I suspect legs that slide directly on concrete will soon wear it out and the thing may become unstable.

Cheers

Andrew

Edited by Andrew Smith

I think if I were considering a scissor lift I would want one with legs that slide along its own base/tray such as Strongman's Galton High Rise: http://sm-t.co.uk/pr...e-scissor-lift/ as I suspect legs that slide directly on concrete will soon wear it out and the thing may become unstable.

Cheers

Andrew

Thanks Andrew for your comments, I can see where you are coming from, difference in price is £3,450 for the one you suggest and £1,138 for the SJR one Darren has. My thinking is placing the scissor lift on a sheet of metal equivalent size, say 1/4" thick, a plank of wood either side for the wheels to enable comfortable clearance of lift. I will need t speak with SJR first to see if this poses any problems.

Best wishes & thanks,

Mike

Edited by MikeThomas

I think if I were considering a scissor lift I would want one with legs that slide along its own base/tray such as Strongman's Galton High Rise: http://sm-t.co.uk/product/galton-high-rise-scissor-lift/ as I suspect legs that slide directly on concrete will soon wear it out and the thing may become unstable.

Cheers

Andrew

Andrew does make a good point. I can see how frequent use might cause problems with concrete flooring, especially if it's not thick. My base is 6 inches thick, and the lift hasn't caused any wear as yet, but then I've only had it 8 months and it's not used that often.

Your idea of placing metal sheet underneath sounds like a possible solution Mike. I'd be interested in what SJR say about doing that.

Cheers, Darren

Edited by TR5tar
  • 2 weeks later...

I have one of these fitted.

Its a Hoffman as marketed by Snap On, it has a large footprint and the structure does not rely on the column foundation bolts for it strength. Columns are linked by a chain, Almost self supporting, though mine has 4 x m16 foundation bolts each column.

Picked mine up for £100 on ebay.

Paul

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Mike,

You are very welcome to come and look at my scissor lift and see what it looks like. See height issues and see what support you can get. Mine is a CJ Autos air over hydraulic lift.

PM me I'm located at Hatfield Peverel

Cheers

Ian