Air Manifold (BL part # 216374)

Hi,

I originally restored my air manifold to a "course" crackle finish as that was how it was. Later on through buying spares came across another air manifold with a "smoother" finish (attached). Anybody know the original finish for a CP50720 car?

I have the winter to "fiddle" about and my air intake does need a re-finish after 20 years.

post-15039-0-84717500-1511736011_thumb.jpg

Peter,

The 2.5PI finish was the same as the TR6 i.e a matt black crinkle finish. See attached image.

Jonathan,

The Triumph lettering wasn't picked out at least not in any of the factory photos that I have

cheers

Derek

post-1290-0-86907000-1511825719_thumb.jpg

I don't recall any of the PI TRs or saloons that I ran in the 70s and early 80s having anything other than the plain matt crackle finish . . . . no smooth finishes, and no picked out lettering either. I think you'll find those variations came in only as cars were rebuilt.

Cheers,

Alec

I have 2 plenums in chromed finish (now grit blasted and ready to apply the wrinkle paint), was this chroming then done later in life (not original)?

Thanks,

Waldi

• 3 years later...

I dont believe there is normally  a hole there.

The manifold / plenum slopes downwards at the rear. In use the exhaust gases condense and form a nasty corrosive liquid which rots through the metal eventually. Is the hole you have a drain hole at the bottom?

...and welcome to the club.

Alan

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the welcome, Alan. The hole is towards the top so not for drainage. I have not seen one in any other photos so a bit baffled. I can fill it and rub down prior to painting now I know it does not seem to have a purpose. I don't have any corrosion ( well at least not in that area - plenty elsewhere!)

It is a minor issue really as I am just deciding whether to go for a full body off restoration. I have done 2 x GT6's before but they took a long time (work kept getting in the way and children etc) and if the TR takes that long I won't be around to see the finished result!!

"if the TR takes that long I won't be around to see the finished result!!"- I'd get it running and use it. The saddest advertisements in local magazines and  forums are for partially restored cars with components in boxes from deceased estates. From the quality of the partial restoration, I  can see the future expectations the past owner had  for the car but never got to realize.

I'm not intentionally  being morbid , that's just the way life is.

The is a chicken and egg question. I agree with cousin Derek and say that all the production plenum chambers appear to be a crinkle finish BUT I have bought 2 NOS item in the past and they were a smooth black finish? So could it be that production cars had a crinkle finish and some spares department came with a satin black smooth finish?

There were definitely 2 types of finish.

I have 2 TR6's and they both have the smooth finish as that's the way I like them .

Alan G