2nd gear stiff

I have the same problem in my 4. Although I really need to fix this (and 'box will be out later in the year for a new clutch, so I'll dismantle it then) as Alec says, double de-clutching will get you through that first. cold five minutes.

The other thing I do (when I remember) is to shift between 1st and second a couple of times before moving off the first time - this seems to at least ease the problem slightly.

I'm assuming that it's a worn synchro ring and that's where I'll look first, but others may know better.

Cheers,

Tim

Hi Camilo,

with the engine off and cold can you select 1st gear (depress clutch) and then 2nd gear - or is it stiff.

If you can then that show it will engage cold.

it may be the clutch plate spinning and 2nd synchro at fault under initial driving conditions.

Roger

Hi Roger

Waited for the car to be cold. Did not even put key in the ignition, just moved gears about. 10/10 on all gears including reverse. Absolutely easy to move backwards and forwards.

If it was the clutch plate I would have problems on all gears, no?

Camilo

Hi Roger

Right! Gear-box will come out in the winter. I take it that Moss will have a suitable synchro ring (is that what's needed?) that will solve the problem

#2 synchro. not slowing the gears from spinning.

But why only when it's cold?

Edited by qim

Hi Camilo,

not sure who does the best synchro's but Revington may be a good place to start.

I think it is simple expansion. They eventually wear down. You will get to a point where you will not get 2nd even after warming up.

Roger

Hi Camilo,

not sure who does the best synchro's but Revington may be a good place to start.

I think it is simple expansion. They eventually wear down. You will get to a point where you will not get 2nd even after warming up.

Roger

So, I might as well change all three synchro rings, is that it?

Well if you are going to the trouble of removing it I'd be inclined to give it a full refurb. It's Sods's law that if you just did the 2nd Synchro ring and put it back in something else would soon start playing up!

Pete Cox recommends SAE50 straight grade engine oil for o/d gearboxes and he knows a thing or two about gearboxes. Synchro rings are of variable quality so go to a reccomended supplier. The first point to wear on a TR gearbox is the layshaft and bearings, wear here could be causing missallignment and your problems.

Cheers

Richard

Pete Cox recommends SAE50 straight grade engine oil for o/d gearboxes and he knows a thing or two about gearboxes. Synchro rings are of variable quality so go to a reccomended supplier. The first point to wear on a TR gearbox is the layshaft and bearings, wear here could be causing missallignment and your problems.

Cheers

Richard

+1

My 3 synchro. 3A gearbox problems started with difficulty in selecting second, and progressed to not being able to select 2nd at all.

The problem was a severely worn spigot on the main shaft, Pete Cox said he had never seen one so worn. The box had previously been overhauled by a well known restorer who had made a phosphor bronze bush to compensate for the worn spigot, it lasted only a few thousand miles. With great advice from Pete I replaced the main shaft and no problems since, that was several years ago.

Unless you are well skilled, and well equipped, it is a waste of effort, time and money to attempt rebuilding a TR gearbox, let alone an overdrive.

Do not even think about it . . . . .

It would be more cost-effective to drive to England with the gearbox in the boot and have a short holiday . . . . whilst the gearbox is properly rebuilt by someone like Pete Cox who could do the job in 3 or 4 days given due notice . . . . .

Cheers

Alec

Speak to this chap and save yourself some heartache.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRIUMPH-OVERDRIVE-TR-2-3-RECONDITONED-GEARBOX-OVERDRIVE-07831304319/322799193670

He supplied mine - I picked it up from his workshop in London and he showed me round. He's been rebuilding Triumph Gearboxes for years and used to race Norton motorbikes. A proper gentleman engineer.

I've had the box in my TR for 3 years and it changes gear perfectly. The overdrive is also very quick to engage.

Unless you are well skilled, and well equipped, it is a waste of effort, time and money to attempt rebuilding a TR gearbox, let alone an overdrive.

Do not even think about it . . . . .

It would be more cost-effective to drive to England with the gearbox in the boot and have a short holiday . . . . whilst the gearbox is properly rebuilt by someone like Pete Cox who could do the job in 3 or 4 days given due notice . . . . .

Cheers

Alec

Hi Alec

I have no intention of upsetting the varnish in my fingernails... The intention is to use a good local mechanic, but as he does not speak English it is up to me to try and understand what may be needed so that I can have all the stuff together.

I am going to be in Oxford in mid-November and will go and see the chap recommended by rhino-mac.

Thank you all.