2nd gear stiff

Hi

When I start the car from cold (overnight) it is nearly impossible to engage second gear, as I drive it for the first kilometer or so. As the car gets warm the problem disappears. Some time ago, I started a thread on other problems (apparently common) with second gear as it sometimes disengages into neutral.

Any ideas what causes the stiffness? Could it be oil not covering gears until it is splashed about after setting off?

Thanks

Camilo

Edited by qim

Yes, I checked the oil, and in fact, I even overfilled it.

What I find strange is that once the car (gear box) is warm the problem disappears. Whilst cold I have to fight to get it in, even with successive double de-clutch

Ah, you added fluid! Did you use the same viscosity? Since you're not mentioning crunching noises, I would think there's enough oil between the parts. That's not the problem, I think. But perhaps it's too think when cold. My first Saab had the same issues when cold. My trick was to drive off in first and keep it in first for a few hundred meters, then gently shifting it into second. And it was smooth as butter after that.

My trick was to drive off in first and keep it in first for a few hundred meters, then gently shifting it into second. And it was smooth as butter after that.

Hi Menno

That's close to what I do. But what I need is to solve it. I'm sure I need to take the gearbox out but it makes sense to have an idea of what the problem is. If I need to change the gears for second, should that be the case, are they available?

I understand that I should use engine oil as I have O/D but I am using gear oil, as I always did.

Edited by qim

I understand that I should use engine oil as I have O/D but I am using gear oil, as I always did.

Qim

I had to read your last comment several times.

Are you suggesting filling your GEARbox with ENGINE oil?? ????

Are you suggesting filling your GEARbox with ENGINE oil??

Well. I am not really suggesting, but I read it somewhere, possibly in this forum. According to what I read it only applies if you have overdrive.

After a quick googling...

http://www.mg-cars.net/triumph-tr3-bbs/gearbox-oil-2002010313142315121.htm

http://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/36237-gearbox-oil/

EDIT

Slightly off the subject. While looking for parts for the gearbox I found this Moss page that suggests a 4-synchro box.

http://www.moss-europe.co.uk/internal-gearbox-4-synchro-tr3a-4a.html

Is this for a totally different box, or could I adapt my 3-synchro?

Edited by qim

............. but I am using gear oil, as I always did.

Ben

I read it that he is using gear oil.

H

Nothing wrong with engine oil in a TR 'box . . . . . . overdrive or not.

Same goes for the Rootesmobiles Audax and Arrows alike, that I drove starship miles in years gone by - all ran on 20/50.

Cheers

Alec

Nothing wrong with engine oil in a TR 'box . . . . . . overdrive or not.

Same goes for the Rootesmobiles Audax and Arrows alike, that I drove starship miles in years gone by - all ran on 20/50.

Cheers

Alec

Volvos with the box+J type OD run with 20/50 according to factory specs

Hi Camilo,

the fact that the 2nd gear works after a short time suggests that warmth/heat is helping it.

Are the hydraulics OK. It could be that the fluid is expanding slightly and helping things along.

Difficulty engaging could be clutch related. Check the clutch Master/slave, bleed if necessary.

As for engine oil in the gearbox :o It's a gearbox - why not use gear oil.

You do not know what is in engine oil to make it work (in engines). Some engine oils have high levels of detergent. This can froth and play havoc with the OD pump.

Stick with quality gearbox oil.

Roger

Edited by RogerH

Looking for a fact sheet on Volvo boxes, I stumbled upon a Volvo forum where members with the same problems are suggested what Roger suggests: check the clutch hydrolics for the reason he mentioned. Try the easy solutions first! Removing the box isnt much fun...

Edited by Menno van Rij 2

The clutch and brake pumps had the rubber bits (the kits) replaced only a week ago. Everything is fine with hydraulics. Besides, as I mentioned, the second engages fine once the car is driven for a mile or so. It is only while cold.

Difficulty engaging could be clutch related.

Thanks Roger

I doubt it as system was bled only last week in an experienced workshop, and the problem was there before changing the kits. Going into the box itself, what do you think could cause it? I had the box out some 14 years ago (and had the car garaged for the next 13...) and recall that the gear/s for the second were changed. It is possible that the problem stems from then, and that it could be due to the wrong gear.

I have an idea that the part was unavailable and that some replacement (maybe second hand) from Revington or Rimmer was obtained.

So, back to one of my questions, above: is it possible to get genuine parts for second gear, and while at it can I synchro first as well?

Edited by qim

Hi Camilo,

so there is more to the story.

It could have been a partly worn second hand gear that was fitted that didn't like your gearbox. With a little warmth the gear expands and allows selection.

Most parts available new but some are quite expensive.

http://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/tr2-4a/clutch-transmission-drivetrain/gearboxes-components/internal-gearbox-3-synchro-tr2-3a.html

Roger

It's all very confusing...

Looking at Moss' catalogue (pp. 30-31) the part number for a 3.synchro (105629) is the same as for a 4-synchro. Yet, the images in the catalogue are different!

Why is this?

In fact looking at part no, it seems that the 4-synchro should be 140508, meaning that ther image below does NOT correspond to my 3.synchro box.

http://www.moss-europe.co.uk/internal-gearbox-4-synchro-tr3a-4a.htmlSearch for 140508

Comments, please!

post-14128-0-64607000-1508059841_thumb.png

Edited by qim

" As for engine oil in the gearbox :o It's a gearbox - why not use gear oil. "

Because at various times Laycock, Standard Triumph, Rootes and Volvo all recommended the use of engine oil in their o/d 'boxes . . . . . . and it tended to perform better than gear oil back in the day.

It might simply be coincidence that I've never had to rebuild one of my own high-miler 'boxes run on engine oil in years gone by, only ever had problems with acquired 'boxes which had utilised gear oil . . . .

Cheers,

Alec

Hi Camilo,

with the engine off and cold can you select 1st gear (depress clutch) and then 2nd gear - or is it stiff.

If you can then that show it will engage cold.

it may be the clutch plate spinning and 2nd synchro at fault under initial driving conditions.

Roger

Edited by RogerH

I don't have problems with 2nd gear on my TR but that may be because I have a saloon box with O/D and not a TR one, (still an A type though). I have had a similar problem in the past with an Alfa and the issue was worn synchro on 2nd gear that made it baulk going into 2nd until the box had warmed up a little. I used to do what Menno does and drive for a little way in 1st and then try 2nd or skip to third and double de-clutch into 2nd. It went on like that the entire time (3 years and many thousands of miles) I had the car - I never bothered to take the box out to check it out properly.

My gearbox and O/D is filled with 20/50 as that was the general consensus on this forum when I rebuilt the car in 2012.

Rgds Ian