Hi everyone,

As a newbie to the forum, I thought I'd share some photos of what came out of the axle when I was carrying out a service on the car. The oil was black and you could see a golden hue in places (brass?) but no other symptoms are evident. Welcome the thoughts of the forum on what I can expect to find when I take the diff cover off?

Best wishes, Laurence

post-13848-0-33963300-1500829437_thumb.jpg

Ouch :huh:

I think you need to investigate further. Either a bearing has broken up, or some gears are missing some teeth (or part of)

Bob.

Edited by Lebro

I'm down for pinion teeth. Do a search using the search box top right, another sidescreen owner has a similar problem only about 3 weeks ago.

Micky

Hi Laurence,

as Mick states something similar was reported a couple of weeks ago.

Stan Foster and Kevo-6 (TR6's) have had big problems.

Roger

http://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/62714-loud-noise-from-the-rear-end/

http://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/62848-i-think-ive-broken-my-diff/

Edited by RogerH

Hi guys,

I knew TR's were tough, but this is just amazing! How this CWP ran without making any noise, is beyond me! I have attached a photo of the pinion which looks like it barely has a complete tooth. Strangely, the crown wheel is unmarked. The tiny little pieces I took out and posted last night are not of the same magnitude as the damage that can be seen here.

Is the replacement of the CWP something that can be done in-situ or does the axle have to come out? Will check out the earlier posts on pinion damage and parts availability.

Thanks everyone. Laurence

post-13848-0-57689700-1500927772_thumb.jpgpost-13848-0-74172100-1500927801_thumb.jpg

Axle out, just imagine those particles of shattered tooth suspended in a gloopy oil and where it's got...everywhere. It needs a thorough clean and a minute examination of the other gears etc inside, it's likely there is damage, it's just not easily visibly when everything's draped in EP90 !

Mick Richards

Hi All,

just a quick update - I have found a replacement axle with a good diff and CW&P, no halfshafts or drums so will re-use mine. While I am at it; I will replace bearings and seals at the same time. Out of interest, does anyone have the manufacturers bearing and seal pt no's - i.e. the SKF/INA/Timken numbers??

Hopefully back on the road in a couple of weeks.

Cheers,

Hi Laurence you will need a load of various sized shims for the pinion positioning and pre load settings and another load for crown wheel adjustment also don't forget the sun and planet shims as you won't get the backlash in spec on the crown wheel if the planet/suns are rattling about, a nice little project but can be very trying at times. hope I'm not telling you how to suck eggs all the best. Martin.

Hi Laurence,

as far as I can see from ancient scribbles, the wheel bearing is 206S. Diff bearings 16150/16283. Pinion bearings 31885/3120 head and 15100SR/15245 tail. Ransomes LJ30 or LJ30D for wheel also.

Timken numbers of old, which may be superseded by now.

Cheers,

Alec

Hi All,

just a quick update - I have found a replacement axle with a good diff and CW&P, no halfshafts or drums so will re-use mine. While I am at it; I will replace bearings and seals at the same time. Out of interest, does anyone have the manufacturers bearing and seal pt no's - i.e. the SKF/INA/Timken numbers??

Hopefully back on the road in a couple of weeks.

Cheers,

Hub oil seals change with axle number.

There are two different sizes. The dimension that changes is the internal one that runs on the hub spigot.

Measure the diameter of the hub flange area that the seal runs on. I can then sort the number for you.

Did this recently for Dan in Hawaii, (2long) so the info should be on the forum somewhere.

Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Hi Laurence,

As a matter of interest, how will you set the pinion depth? Do you have access to the special tool?

When I did mine, I had a bu**er of a job getting that right and I wondered if there was a better way than I used. FWIW I used a piece of machined round silver steel bar held in the bottom of the bearing housings with a couple of hardwood discs - it was a bit Heath Robinson but eventually I got a repeatable dimension that I could trust.

Rgds Ian

Ian,

I read about the process to set pinion depth and crownwheel backlash and came to the conclusion that I'd get someone else to do that as I wasn't confident of getting it right. However, I have found an axle with a good CWP installed so will fit my brake backplates etc to that axle.

Regards, Laurence