Possibly a bit of a lightning strike scenario but something that I wasn't aware of

I have never owned a set of stands like this and I have never liked the look of them anyway. Proper pinned stands are much safer

Stuart.

Hello All

I agree with Stuart proper pin stands are the only way to be safe and often more than one? I usually have some bulks of timber just below the jack in case its slips when pulling on a tight part!

Roger

When I owned my first car (1969) I bought a pair of axle stands that have a screwed centre spindle so they're height-adjustable. They take longer to set to the right height but are pretty secure. I also have a pair of folding stands, that worry me every time I use them - although they have locking pins, they always seem to be close to folding under load.

Like Roger I always have a few hefty bits of timber under the car as well as the stands and if I remove a wheel, that goes under the chassis too.

Pete

I use jackstands (or axle stands, if one prefers) similar to those in the original video. Perhaps it would be possible to have the stands drop with an impact to the release lever that raised the car, but that would have to be one heck of a lucky shot. Seems like a pretty low risk, especially with cribbing as a backup.

https://manuals.harborfreight.com/manuals/61000-61999/61627.pdf

These were an upgrade to the pinned style I'd been using infrequently for four decades. Probably decades more than I should have, in fact, as those old stands were the kind made from a piece of pipe split into three legs. That style has a miserable safety record. This isn't my photo, but it is what one needs to fear from that style.

i-JDtLfQB-Th.jpg

I'd be interested in any references to best-in-class axle stands/jackstands one might offer. (Thanks, Stuart.)

Edited by Don H.

If you're dumb enough, you can injure yourself with just about any tool . . . . .

I've used the type in the original post for 20+ years, never had a problem, nor heard of one.

I've also used pin types as Stuart illustrates for 50 or so years, and known of several collapses.

Hence I use multiple jacks/stands and/or a hefty lump of timber.

Common sense rules OK.

Cheers

Alec

For the sake of debate, what makes a pinned shaft more unlikely to be knocked free than the levered pawl? Seems like that one-in-a-million shot that dropped the car might even be easier with a pinned column, where the weight of the car doesn't have to be raised?

There's no hitch pin on the other end of that column pin is there?

I was thinking of getting a set of these http://www.sgs-engineering.com/garage-equipment/axle-stands/jsr2-axle-stands which has the locking pin also.

I have both types previously mentioned and also go for belt and braces with timber.

Edited by Kevo_6
I was thinking of getting a set of these http://www.sgs-engineering.com/garage-equipment/axle-stands/jsr2-axle-stands which has the locking pin also.

I have both types previously mentioned and also go for belt and braces with timber.[/quote

hi kev, nice bit of kit,

I feel the problem is when the vehicle is on the jack stand, using a large socket extension handle

people pull the car of the jack stand,

having do e an enginering aprentiship safety is beaten into you ,

pink

For the sake of debate, what makes a pinned shaft more unlikely to be knocked free than the levered pawl? Seems like that one-in-a-million shot that dropped the car might even be easier with a pinned column, where the weight of the car doesn't have to be raised?

Not sure what you mean by "hitch pin" Don, but my pinned stands (the folding ones) have a retaining clip for the pin.

Pete

When the weight of a vehicle is on the stand the pin would need an awful lot of force to move it as long as the pin is the correct type i.e. for shear strength, and long enough.

As Stuart has said, I also have owned two sets of this type of stand for at least 48 years and they are still performing well today, although I don't get underneath cars as much as I did in bygone days.

Not sure what you mean by "hitch pin" Don, but my pinned stands (the folding ones) have a retaining clip for the pin.

Pete

I think Don is referring to what we would call a "lynch" pin as used in agricultural machinery,where a spring loaded ring folds down over the pin.

Edited by Cew

I think Don is referring to what we would call a "lynch" pin as used in agricultural machinery,where a spring loaded ring folds down over the pin.

Yes, sort of -- more the kind of cotter pin dealie that fits through a hole or section in the main pin to keep it in place. A linch pin could be a bit awkward to use in an axle stand application.

3149078b-8045-4482-b163-ae2a685fc149_100

If the pin is difficult to move, I'd say lifting the arm to release the pawl would be similarly difficult.

Working for DuPont for many years drums a safety culture into one that is hard to shake. I take a lot of care trying to minimize risk, and the pawl-type axle stands seem to be fine when used with secondary support.

That's what is known as an "R" clip here Don. I also think that one would have to be extremeley careless to have one of the ratchet type stands collapse if used correctley.

As Alex as said common sense should prevail when messing around under heavy objects.

That's what is known as an "R" clip here Don. I also think that one would have to be extremeley careless to have one of the ratchet type stands collapse if used correctley.

As Alex as said common sense should prevail when messing around under heavy objects.

Trouble is Clive, common sense ain't that common.

Mick Richards