Any Lever Arm Damper experts in the house?

Hi all,

After scratching a few heads, I'm still puzzled!

This one is stamped RH but I have removed it from the nearside!

What's the difference?

post-13886-0-98505000-1483821560_thumb.jpg

post-13886-0-53145400-1483821571_thumb.jpg

These type of dampers were used on many different cars and the bodies were a component common to many different applications.

You need one of each handedness on a Vitesse. The serial number may refer to a different application.

I will dig out my old units tomorrow to see what reference numbers are stamped on them. I currently have telescopics on the rear of my Vitesse.

Thanks Steve, very good of you.

My point is that I've taken a nearside unit off a car (been on it for donkey's and passed many an MOT) that is stamped RH. Hence the question, what's the difference?

Edited by rog1

Try speaking to: Vintageandclassicshockabsorbers.co.uk

Father and son, home based business, are based in Saundersted, near Purley, Surrey. Chap there sorted my lever arms out. He has even got original new stock of parts. Typical old style business with old style values.

I have no connection other than an satisfied customer.

Thanks Peter.

I don't think/hope that I need replacements.

I'm curious as to why they are handed as it appears mine would suggest it's on the wrong side?

Edited by rog1

I think the marking just refers to which way the damper arm points. It is nothing to do with which side of the car it should be mounted on.

Edited by RobH

I always thought that the way to look at a car was from the front towards the rear. That would make the nearside the right side :wacko:

It's late, I'm off to bed.

Dave

Morning Roger , it's definitely a nearside damper, but why it has RH on it,I am not sure .

I will check a spare pair I have a see if they are marked RH and LH, if that helps.

If it's working well ,put it back where you found it !!

Have fun,

Conrad.

I always thought that the way to look at a car was from the front towards the rear. That would make the nearside the right side :wacko:

It's late, I'm off to bed.

Dave

Hi Dave,

I thought the sides were relative to the driving position. Sit in the drivers seat and look forward.

The same as aeroplanes - we have Port & Starboard. Whereas the USA prefer left and right - relative to the captains seat looking forward.

Roger

I think the marking just refers to which way the damper arm points. It is nothing to do with which side of the car it should be mounted on.

Interesting, thanks.

I can't easily check my offside one at the moment, so if anyone has a pair they can easily check the markings on, that would be good.

Regards

Roger

Right and left hand in terms of car components refer to the view of the driver sitting in the driving seat looking forward.

Lever arm shock absorbers would have been marked, in the first instance, with the original equipment application . . . . and the shocks would usually have been handed and marked as such. To have a pair of shocks working in the same orientation, as it were, is unusual. A particular shocker might have been facing 'forward' on one model of car, but 'rearwards' on another depending on suspension design . . . . . and thus be regarded as a RH or LH unit for that specific application.

However, the same basic body casting might have been used for dozens of different applications, with appropriate amendments to internal specification and to the lever arm fitted to the body. There is no difficulty in taking a unit of 'spec A' and rebuilding it to 'spec B' by virtue of changing the lever arm along with the internal valves and springs as required. If a 'spec A' unit is rebuilt to AN Other spec, the likelihood is that it will retain its OE numbering . . . . . to the potential confusion of subsequent observers.

Half a century on, the OE number stamping cannot be relied upon I'm afraid, the unit might have been rebuilt half a dozen times . . . .

Cheers

Alec

If you do find the shocks need reconditioning, I've found Stevson to be reliable over the years.

http://www.stevsonmotors.co.uk/contactus.html - website is useless, but their service is good.

Lever arms are not expensive to rebuild, £50-60 for a decent job, and if you need old core units to have rebuilt then value is realistically £10-20 apiece . . . . . links always need replacing too, and cost little more than a tenner for repros.

Quite why there is a pair of shocks is being offered for £250 on Buy Sell Trade escapes me, I'd be surprised if 30 year old rebuilt units last long before requiring attention ! :rolleyes: Barmy.

Cheers

Alec

In this case I would not worry much about what is written on the part as there is no chance for mistake,

The L or R on the upper front suspension wishbone of a TR4A/TR6 is a different exercise.. :)

Jean

If you fit them on the Right the R stamped on the link faces up if you fit them on the Left side the L stamped on the over side of the link faces up

cheers

Alan