What replacment Camshaft for P.I. TR?

My whole power/train/engine is in bits at this moment for a complete rebuild. It already has gas flowed head and an extractor manifold (SAH twin pipe) with a standard s/s exhaust system. Usage:Town, motorway, and A & B roads driving . I was looking at the Kent High Torque Type? or should I go for something more for the open road?

Thanks,

Bruce.

Newman cam PH3 is perfect

http://www.newman-cams.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/newman-cams_priceData_Catalogue2016_Triumph.pdf

Steve

Edited by whatmore179

Hi Bruce,

I believe lift over 0.400" will allow valve/piston collision with the 6-pot head when c/r is above 9.5:1 should the cam drivetrain let go. You may want to check this detail.

As for Newman cams, caveat emptor: search this forum for " Newman Cams - A Cautionary Tale ". If you decide you want one of his cams I've got a couple of unused ones I'll part with at a significant loss. One is a standard " 150 " P.I. grind and the other is a 41/71/71/41 with 0.502" lift.

Cheers,

Tom

I have had twin Riley cams in my 1936 Riley 9 Special for 14 years and no problem.

I also bought new followers as advised by Newman.

It's not likely that any of the suppliers is without at least a little negative history. I've got a Piper in one of mine with 0.502" lift and it's still OK after 3000 miles but it replaced a duplicate from them which gave terribly low oil pressure due to oversize grooves in the bearing journals. The current one has slight, spiral grooves instead but runs in bearing shells; not sure it would be OK running in the iron block bores.

Whatever you do make sure the tappets are flat. They should stick together bottom-to-bottom with the slightest smear of thin oil. If they don't, they're crowned and not suitable for TR cams. The above Piper with the oversize grooves had pitted lobes after 150 miles from crowned tappets - they really hate them!

Cheers,

Tom

Hi Bruce

I have the TH6 Kent in my 5 and very happy with it 180bhp and very tractable low down, engine mods below.

Dennis

• Engine – gas flowed head with gas flow stainless steel valves inlets 38mm exhaust 30.3, higher compression ratio 10.5 to 1, balanced head with 1.65 roller rockers on 150bhp original cam, all to unleaded specification and alloy fly wheel, Oil cooler with thermostat, also SAH rocker cover. Lucas high spec coil with electronic ignition Year 2005.

• Reassembled and set up with high tensile head studs and big end bolts. Cam from Kent Cams TH6 rally with custom grind to compensate for 1.65 roller rockers, shorter push rods. Cam speck Rally, valve lift inlet .447” valve lift exhaust .445”, duration 290 deg timing 42/68 78/32 full lift set at 108 deg, valve clearance inlet .022” exhaust .024” duplex venire timing chain kit and up rated cam followers from Kent Cams with light weight alloy flywheel. Set exactly to inlet fully opened 108deg ATDC with true TDC on crank & cam, lob height of 1.400” Fitted new alloy Sump for bottom end rigidity and steel front bridge, fitted high torque starter motor, new intake ram tubes with ITG air filters 2011.

• Davis Craig EWP Electric Water Pump fitted 2008 with Digital pump controller and heater water pump kit. Year 2009.

• Set up metering unit on Rat Racing rolling road to true engine fuel requirements under load through rev range, with newly fitted 123 usb Distributor, BHP180.

post-6243-0-52702700-1472997535_thumb.jpg