Worried about Ethanol?

Some people may find this of interest?

If you are concerned about Ethonol in petrol this may be an answer!

www.ethanil.co.uk

Cheers

Mike B)

Smoke & mirrors?

????????????

Personally in the Uk & France I use Super or 98 unleaded which is free of Ethanol, no probs for last 10 years.

The science works but it's a very expensive way of buying a couple of plastic cans and a funnel - apart from the obvious hazard of having to buy petrol in cans and slosh quantities of it about every time you fill the tank. And of course since the Ethanol will influence the octane rating of the original fuel, the resulting fuel less Ethanol will have an unknown lower octane so you would then have to add an octane booster and hope the resulting mix is right. Seems a bit of a faff when as Chris says you can just buy the good stuff, albeit at a cost.

Removing the 5% ethanol from 97 RON E5 will only drop the octane to about 96.

http://newenergyandfuel.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Ethanols-Impact-on-RON-Octane-Ratings-in-Gasoline.jpg

Water extraction may also remove beneficial additives, depending upon their partitioning between fuel and water.

https://www.atc-europe.org/public/Doc113%202013-10-01.pdf

eg corrosion inhibitors p26.

Bearing in mind that a gallon of petrol burns to make 1.5gallons of water, then ethanil looks dodgy to me.

Peter

According to this, BP ultimate contains no ethanol.

http://www.bp.com/content/dam/bp-country/en_au/media/fuel-news/fuel-octane-power.pdf

This is what I will be using from now on.

Bob.

Bob,

Its rather a long way to go to fill up.

I think that's for Ultimate in Oz.

Peter

In the UK according to info on the register Esso synergy supreme also has no ethanol except in some areas of Devon & Cornwall. Total also has zero ethanol in many areas but you have to contact them for the list which is not very customer friendly so Bp Ultimate or Esso synergy supreme are the best bets.

In the UK according to info on the register Esso synergy supreme also has no ethanol except in some areas of Devon & Cornwall. Total also has zero ethanol in many areas but you have to contact them for the list which is not very customer friendly so Bp Ultimate or Esso synergy supreme are the best bets.

What about Shell v- power & Texaco supreme Chris?

I always try to use Shell V power in my TRs. Its at my local garage so no problems getting it. On motorways etc I use best BP if shell is not available. I've not had any problems with running the cars either.

Hoges

I think its mostly agreed putting bio ethanol in fuel is pretty silly thing to do and counter environmental, there are better uses for it than burning. :)

What the Ethanil people say is correct on removing it, but I agree with Rob comments. What they say about possible effects of ethanol are not untrue, but are undimensioned. Yes ethanol will hydrolise if left in tank long enough and acid of the type formed can attack materials of construction used in our cars. So probably good to take some steps not to leave it in car for long periods.

Pragmatically I just use regular unleaded with no issues. Towards the end of the Summer/autumn I like to run the car to near empty and then put a gallon or so of posh BP in for the Winter [and buy more as needed] till coming up to spring. Then with increased use go back to regular cheapo.I did some years ago see if I could detect a separate phase in my tank by dropping some food coloring in, I reasoned that if there were water there it would dissolve into it preferentially. It was a flawed experiment though, couldn't see anything and I wasn't curious enough to drain tank and inspect properly.

Mike

I always try to use Shell V power in my TRs. Its at my local garage so no problems getting it. On motorways etc I use best BP if shell is not available. I've not had any problems with running the cars either.

Hoges

Exactly what I do & use Paul. Just assuming that the Shell is still low in ethanol (less than 5%).

Exactly what I do & use Paul. Just assuming that the Shell is still low in ethanol (less than 5%).

I got this statement back from Shell ref V Power?

Dear Gary,

Thank you for contacting Shell.

Currently, in the entire UK, the Shell V-Power Nitro+ contain ethanol up to a maximum of 5% volume as compliance to the BS EN 228 standard for petrol.

I hope this helps and should you need further assistance, please feel free to revert back to us.

Best regards,

I can't quote on BP. But Esso Synergy Supreme (super unleaded 97 ron) if it has come form an Esso fuel Terminal is Ethanol free ;)

I got this statement back from Shell ref V Power?

Dear Gary,

Thank you for contacting Shell.

Currently, in the entire UK, the Shell V-Power Nitro+ contain ethanol up to a maximum of 5% volume as compliance to the BS EN 228 standard for petrol.

I hope this helps and should you need further assistance, please feel free to revert back to us.p

Best regards,

Thanks for that Gary. I need the higher octane as in Shell to stop the running on the 4A so that is good news.

Cheers.

stop the running on the 4A

Its caused by autoignition.Try two grades colder plugs.

Slide 84

https://supertrarged.files.wordpress.com/2016/07/combustion-talk-iwe-2016-v2-ppt.ppt

also 121, 120.

Peter

Its caused by autoignition.Try two grades colder plugs.

Slide 84

https://supertrarged.files.wordpress.com/2016/07/combustion-talk-iwe-2016-v2-ppt.ppt

also 121, 120.

Peter

Yes Peter I tried running a colder plug some while ago now & found the engine did not like it for some reason. Using a higher octane fuel does the trick. No running on but if I have to drop down to a 95 octane the running on will start.

Cheers.