Alloy rocker cover?

The Racetorations one has an o ring seal which allows easy on-off action and no leaks.

I have a 'Triumphtune' aluminium cover

It's easy to seat and leaks not

There's also a wide Cork Gasket available that fits better than the Standard one when using on the Alloy Cover.

Niall,

Who is the supplier for these wider gaskets?

I have an SAH alloy rocker cover with "squarer" corners than the pressed steel originals and have had problems with leakage at the corners on occasions due to difficulties in not being able to "stretch" it into position and keep it there until it is clamped down. The SAH unit has a flat bottom, unlike the pressed steel ones which benefit from the inbuilt groove around the perimeter to retain/position the gasket.

The wider gasket that you mention could help overcome my problems.

Dave McD

Hi SDerbyshire!

I have an Racetorations one and had a bad experience with it leaking around the cap/neck. It went back to Racetorations twice and they fitted a new caps/necks but it still leaked. When I took out the neck my self I was surprised that this area was not machined but left rough sand cast. The surface was just like the moon! No wonder it leaked! Then I fitted a Speed Flow cap/neck assembly, no leaks. So does yours leak in this area as well?

Bruce.

Niall,

Who is the supplier for these wider gaskets?

I have an SAH alloy rocker cover with "squarer" corners than the pressed steel originals and have had problems with leakage at the corners on occasions due to difficulties in not being able to "stretch" it into position and keep it there until it is clamped down. The SAH unit has a flat bottom, unlike the pressed steel ones which benefit from the inbuilt groove around the perimeter to retain/position the gasket.

The wider gasket that you mention could help overcome my problems.

Dave McD

I got them from Rimmers about 3yr ago.

Do all the various makes of alloy cover have a flat base with no location flange for the gasket? I want to fit one when I rebuild my engine but have concerns as to how well they can be sealed to the head? Is there a silicon gasket that can be used and won't kink in when tightened down?

Paul

Do all the various makes of alloy cover have a flat base with no location flange for the gasket? I want to fit one when I rebuild my engine but have concerns as to how well they can be sealed to the head? Is there a silicon gasket that can be used and won't kink in when tightened down?

Paul

Most are a Flat Base that's why the Wider Cork Gasket works well.

Some Specalists have a Groove machined into the Base of the Rocker Cover to accept a Neoprene Gasket but these are an Expensive bit of Kit.

Edited by TR NIALL

Most are a Flat Base that's why the Wider Cork Gasket works well.

Some Specalists have a Groove machined into the Base of the Rocker Cover to accept a Silicone Gasket but these are an Expensive bit of Kit.

I bought a standard ally cover which cost £49. Then had it machined at a local machine shop for £50 - I then fitted the synthetic gasket, about £20. It's untested as the engine hasn't been run yet, as car is still being re-built, but the result looks to be a very good solution. It provides just enough of an inner shoulder for the gasket to sit comfortably and not move.

best Bill

Hi SDerbyshire!

I have an Racetorations one and had a bad experience with it leaking around the cap/neck. It went back to Racetorations twice and they fitted a new caps/necks but it still leaked. When I took out the neck my self I was surprised that this area was not machined but left rough sand cast. The surface was just like the moon! No wonder it leaked! Then I fitted a Speed Flow cap/neck assembly, no leaks. So does yours leak in this area as well?

Bruce.

Hi Bruce

Mine only leaks every couple of years when the cork gasket in the cap gets squished, I make a new gasket and all is good.

When I bought the car it had a 'bodged in' cork gasket instead of the o ring, Darryl at Racetorations made me a new o ring and it's not leaked since.

The o ring was named after sound you make when he tells you the price !

But it works.

Steve

Hi Bruce

Mine only leaks every couple of years when the cork gasket in the cap gets squished, I make a new gasket and all is good.

When I bought the car it had a 'bodged in' cork gasket instead of the o ring, Darryl at Racetorations made me a new o ring and it's not leaked since.

The o ring was named after sound you make when he tells you the price !

But it works.

Steve

Steve,

Thanks for your response,

The cap that Darryl uses is for a motor cycle petrol tank? My 1972 BSA has the same cap made by the same company? After fitting the Speed Flow Product, I am not convinced that the original cap is suitable in this application. Mine was leaking from the chain anchor on the neck, a rivet loose and between the bottom of the neck joint to alum R/Cover. It now seems that they have done away with the sand casting of the main body and gone to CNC Machined from solid billet. My suspicions are that they had a lot of complaints. As Niall points out, its a very pricey item!

Bruce.

Dave you could have it machined to take the neoprene ring. but as yours is a real SAH cover i guess you are reluctant.

roy