I have just bought Revington top plate part number RTR3075RK ,the spring loaded plate mentioned in the latest TR Action .Does anyone know if this can be fitted without removing bodywork ,any hints on fitting would be much appreciated

Keith

Edited by louhellman@hotmail.com

Its a bit of a fiddle but yes you can, dont forget you will need a new gasket and then top the box up with oil after.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

Related question:

I have Penrite steering box lube in mine and haven't checked it since it was fitted 32,000 miles ago. I assume it is not possible to top up the lube via the hole in the outer tube as I would if using oil, so could the level be checked and, if necessary, topped-up via the top cover without removing from the car? If so, does the front of the car need to be raised to get the box horizontal, or at least closer to horizontal?

Related question:

I have Penrite steering box lube in mine and haven't checked it since it was fitted 32,000 miles ago. I assume it is not possible to top up the lube via the hole in the outer tube as I would if using oil, so could the level be checked and, if necessary, topped-up via the top cover without removing from the car? If so, does the front of the car need to be raised to get the box horizontal, or at least closer to horizontal?

Brian put the bottle in hot water for a bit that will help, you do need to get enough in to cover the top bearing in the housing.

Stuart.

Brian put the bottle in hot water for a bit that will help, you do need to get enough in to cover the top bearing in the housing.

Stuart.

The Penrite lube is thick enough to fill the box using the cover. It doesnt run that quickly when not heated. when heated you can pour it in the filler hole

I had hoped the hot water trick would work when filling via the tube filler hole so glad to have confirmation.

I have also wondered why there is filler plug on the cover as well. Maybe it's possible to fit a grease nipple and pump oil or Penrite lube in that way?

However, I guess using the higher filler hole must be preferable and provide a bit of a reservoir to keep the top bearing covered if there is any leakage/seepage.

i put my penrite in a small trigger-like oil can with flexible spout, which being metal is easy to heat up (pan water, induction hob on low, hot air gun). maybe hot air gun on steering column will help too (or if you are one of the rare folk with an assembled engine, run it to warm up the extractor!)

it is easy to direct the flexible spout into the hole in the column

ps - beware - on cheap oil cans, if the oil is cold and thick, the pressure when squeezing hard can pop the nipple out)

http://m.screwfix.com/p/laser-steel-oil-can-with-flexi-spout-blue-0-5ltr/47582

Revington top plate: see a couple of mentions in TR Action 287, where experience of a sidescreen car with such a top plate has convinced the TS2 Trustees not to change to rack & pinion, but to get the original system uprated and maintenance executed where wear has occurred.

Ian Cornish

• 4 weeks later...

At last, I had time to fit the Revington steering box top . Bit of a fiddle & a few scraped knuckles but well worth the effort ,most of the slop eliminated. We are so lucky to have such a large group of knowledgeable contributors and suppliers

I moved the right hand hooter out of the way, then jacked the car up on low axle stands. From the top I removed the three fixing bolts holding down the existing steering box lid, I used a socket with long extension bar so that the ratchet (and my left hand) was just under the front apron. Don't forget to put a drain tray under the box, as I discovered there is quite a lot of oil that drips onto your garage floor!

From underneath the car I mopped out some of the oil from the box and then cleaned off the mating surface. I then stuck the new gasket down with a bit of grease whilst my wife and a torch helped me with positioning from above. I then placed the Revington top plate, without adjustable pin, onto the box and from below, hand fitted the three bolts. I then tightened up the three bolts the same way I loosened them and fitted the sprung pin assembly. I packed the adjusting screw with grease so the pin and screw stayed in place during fitting.

Having wiped everything clean I refilled with EP90 oil using a very small oil can, into the filler hole half way down the steering tube. No leaks!

I dried the floor off and tried the steering with the car still on axle stands, most of the slop magically disappeared.

I can not really take a photograph of the process as I have finished it but it is just a case of getting your hand into a small space. Don't forget to refit the right hand hooter and its adjacent earth lead.

Good Luck

Keith

My first action is going to be to slacken off the clamping nut on the inner tube (with the wires going through).

Then allow a fair amount of the oil to drain out into a recepticle, prior to opening up the top. After that - same as Keith.

(but possibly without the wifely help :ph34r:)

Bob.