Wiper motor for a TR3A - help please

Thanks for two speedy and helpful replies.

Early DR2:

20221541434_a2e8779761_b.jpg

Late DR2:

24040486941_1bc5a59712_b.jpg

DR3A

19522215313_6b7384b16c_b.jpg

Different gear-wheel. There is a long story about this. Notice that the DR3A has a bigger gear-wheel which, at first sight, should mean it rotates slower.

DR2 does 33 rpm. DR3A does 45 rpm Really!

This puzzled me for a while. The armatures both rotate at the same speed. So "How do they do this?".

Edited by AlanT

Now the Lucas details, from the books I have, for the single speed wiper motor models and the pt nos:-

TR3 Models

57 - DR2 Lucas 75200

59 - DR2 Lucas 75296

60/61/62 DR2 Lucas 75371

DR3 was the two speed motor option for TR3 according to Lucas.

TR4 Models

62 - DR3A Lucas 75452

I would say that DR3A was never a fitment (according to Lucas) to the TR3/3A/3B models

So, for originality..... what I think is correct for the 59 car is a DR2 motor (single speed) with screwed electrical connectors (DR2 Early Type pictured above) unless the car has been modified to the later Lucar connector wiring loom (DR2 Later Type) - For originality the commision no of the car needs to be known.

DR2 is certainly the only wiper motor type in TR3/3A cars I have owned or been in contact with.

Cheers

Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

I like to discourage use of the early-type self-parker.

The contact design is awful and tends to break off.

When they do break off they are really hard to fix.

The new type is simple, robust and an easy fix.

I discovered a photo:

8527558839_cde7bbe31f_k.jpg

That bit of Beryllium-copper takes quite a beating and if anything goes wrong they get torn off.

Need careful adjusting.

Edited by AlanT

RobH you are a proper engineer and win the prize.

There is a strange consequence of this. If you jam a DR2, the armature will stop and probably burn out.

But if you jam a DR3A the worm can skip over the wheel teeth a bit. This probably saves them burning out.

I don't know if this was deliberate or not.

But this little gadget really does stop burnt-out armatures:

11481242643_2944bfcf3a_b.jpg

and they are marked "For DR2".

The two-speed DR3As like to burn out the field coil if you miswire them.

Edited by AlanT

I didn't know they had a two speeder on the TR3... I have fitted (well my mate did cus he's all things electrical...I'm just all duzzzzits bang!) a two speeder on my car but to operate it

we had to use a later toggle switch which looks real out of place.If they did this for a 3 then I could possibly get a pull switch to do the same thing???

I didn't know they had a two speeder on the TR3... I have fitted (well my mate did cus he's all things electrical...I'm just all duzzzzits bang!) a two speeder on my car but to operate it

we had to use a later toggle switch which looks real out of place.If they did this for a 3 then I could possibly get a pull switch to do the same thing???

The two speed switch is the same type as the light switch.

Stuart.

The two speed switch is the same type as the light switch.

Stuart.

I thought TR2-3 light switch makes the motor go .... off - fast - slow

TR4-MGB headlamp switch is the same item as TR4A two speed wiper switch. Lucas double pull thing that will accept orig knob. - Is there enough space behind the switch panel - Lucar terminals do not touch the heater ?

I use a Range Rover Mk1 tailgate wiper/wash switch - turn for on, push to wash switch on my TR3 with orig heater.

Peter W

You can fit a TR light switch in the place of the wiper switch, but the hole needs to be slightly enlarged.

I did this not for two speed wipers, but for screen washers on the 2nd pull.

Bob.

aaar, I think I might be out on this one as my two mates fitted a different/modern wiper motor (from poor memory) and a standard switch wouldn't operate it...I was in on the discussions they had at the time but it made absolutely no

sense to me!

I will try and find out what the motor was (can't really see it on my car as it sits in the depths of the inner nearside wing).

Is this the switch Peter? http://www.holden.co.uk/displayproduct.asp?pCode=34477

The speeds are ok I guess, nothing to write home about but in hindsight If I had known about the switch problems I don't think I would have bothered...and it would have saved me a load of beer too!

I've used a double switch on the heater for the washers and at some point I will "double up" the panel light switch so I can switch the interior/footwell lights on the second pull.

aaar, I think I might be out on this one as my two mates fitted a different/modern wiper motor (from poor memory) and a standard switch wouldn't operate it...I was in on the discussions they had at the time but it made absolutely no

sense to me!

I will try and find out what the motor was (can't really see it on my car as it sits in the depths of the inner nearside wing).

Is this the switch Peter? http://www.holden.co.uk/displayproduct.asp?pCode=34477

The speeds are ok I guess, nothing to write home about but in hindsight If I had known about the switch problems I don't think I would have bothered...and it would have saved me a load of beer too!

I've used a double switch on the heater for the washers and at some point I will "double up" the panel light switch so I can switch the interior/footwell lights on the second pull.

If we talking Peerless here....

Yes I think that is the one Nigel - It should work the original type Lucas square bodied wiper motor on a TR4A.

<<Anorak time - By part no it is wrong - It should be Lucas 35521 rather than Lucas 34477, but I suspect the difference is the bezel, rather than the switch.>>

If you have the later Lucas fitment (TR6, Defender etc) round bodied motor you will need a different switch entirely - plus different wheel boxes to get the wipe right, and lots of wiring as the power starts from the switch, not the motor as the original fitment does.

Look at and compare the wiring diag for TR5 (3 terminal switch) and TR6 (4 terminal switch) to see the differences and power route. On your Peerless the switch does the earthing, on a TR6/Defender the motor does the earthing.

Cheers

Peter W

I thought TR2-3 light switch makes the motor go .... off - fast - slow

TR4-MGB headlamp switch is the same item as TR4A two speed wiper switch. Lucas double pull thing that will accept orig knob. - Is there enough space behind the switch panel - Lucar terminals do not touch the heater ?

I use a Range Rover Mk1 tailgate wiper/wash switch - turn for on, push to wash switch on my TR3 with orig heater.

Peter W

Depends on which way you wire it, 4a wiper switch does that , you probably could fit that switch behind the dash but the bezel thread size is different I think.

Stuart.

So finally got to the wiper motor but as you can see very poor image. I do have a "non standard" header tank in there as well so there's not a lot of room to get my camera phone in.

I have been told P6 rover as this has two speed settings + push for wash. also just seen these on ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Volvo-1800-P1800-1800S-P1800S-Lucas-Headlight-Wiper-Fan-Switches-/172060116399?hash=item280f9505af:g:bxgAAOSwHaBWlTtr&vxp=mtr

but I'm not paying 100 bucks! I have friends with P1800 so might see if I can test one, see if it will do the job?

post-1366-0-90109200-1452889597_thumb.jpg

Take a look at these diagrams - there is one in there for the 2 speed 14w Motor

Ring them and ask what switch the suggest for the 14W motor - They are in Bromyard

Peter W

links

http://www.holden.co.uk/wiringDiagrams.asp

http://www.holden.co.uk/displayproduct.asp?pcode=040.151

Nigel

This could be the solution.

http://www.carbuildersolutions.com/uk/2-speed-rotary-wiper-switch

this one will do electric screen wash too

http://www.roversnorth.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=PLE809

Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the the info. I have a mate that deals in all sorts of Land rover spares so I could ask him, see what he's got.

I Have used Car Builder Solutions before, they are really helpful on the phone (cant think why I didn't ask them when we were fitting it!) and

I think I might be able to fudge an original type knob onto that newer switch shaft?

This will go on the back burner for a bit as during some routine maintenance (wanton mindless fiddling) I found play in the N/S/F hub...a lot of play to be honest :angry:

Machining time me thinks.

Which rests my case for MOT's!

I like to think I keep up with the car and its needs but I hadn't felt anything untoward with the front end but a little alarmed at what I found.

BP doesn't need an MOT but always gets one. (which it was heading towards shortly)