I am installing the ridgards in the 3a.

They are now mounted to Moss' universal TR6 runners.

By some stroke of luck, the 3a and Moss runners have exactly the same width/centres.

Front two holes work, OK, but the rear don't line up.

Question..... I assume that rather than drilling more holes in the floor, I should drill the runners to take bolts through the existing 3a holes?

See red circles on runners.

As the floor has no captive bolts, just holes, this would work.

Is 4 bolting points 2 front/back OK, in which case I can just plug the middle holes.

Thanks

DC1CBD53-D061-49F3-A7CA-F384C884B7BD_zps

I can't answer the question Austin but if I'd marked it out on the dining room floor I'd have been for the high jump.

4 mounting points seems ok for the 4A.

Edited by peejay4A

I can't answer the question Austin but if I'd marked it out on the dining room floor I'd have been for the high jump.

I'm sure that as long as you used dry wipe or non-permanent marker pens you'd be fine. It all adds to the fine patina of the wood you know! :P

Don't use nail varnish remover to remove the marks, the plastic may melt.

Your going to create a weak point in the runner at the rear by drilling in between 2 existing holes,if I was you and going the route you want to I would make up 2 elongated washers about 2/3" long and drill in centre to fit inside the sliding rail,this would then give it back some strength in that area,weld them in for a better job.

Edited by TR NIALL

Your going to create a weak point in the runner at the rear by drilling in between 2 existing holes,if I was you and going the route you want to I would make up 2 elongated washers about 2/3" long and drill in centre to fit inside the sliding rail,this would then give it back some strength in that area,weld them in for a better job.

Something like this from the MGB front wing attachment perhaps? - Not sure what size the hole is though.

http://www.leacyclassics.com/afh2546.html

or

http://www.leacyclassics.com/afh2627.html

Austin, I have fitted the tr6 runners to my 3A to take the BF Torino seats, This are the narrow version seats.

Many seats are too wide for a 3 and are very restricted in adjustment.

I suppose you carefully checked the position of the seats in the car as in my case the runners did not line up at all with the floor holes when the seats were positioned in the car.

Thanks all, much appreciated, agree they will need strengthening, I used a wickes metal stap as a temp to spread the load ( just need Lidl to sell welding machines!)

they are a tight fit, but in.

i think it was a pure fluke that the runners and alignment worked without serious tweaking

also many thanks the the PO of the seats who set them up to fit univeral runners and fabricated a lock stop

this set up would not work for a taller person in a sidescreen, the seat is one notch from the back, then it hits the seat belt reel ( could be moved to gain 2 clicks)

nor would it work with the original wheel as the seat is quite high at the front

looks neater and more in keeping than in the pic

thanks again

A7724431-8FED-4458-8999-DA9CCBCE46BC_zps

Don't bother with a plain arc welder, they are only good for welding material over about 2mm thick unless you are very good at welding. For thin car stuff you need a MIG or TIG, (and TIG isn't easy without a bit of practice).

Rgds Ian

PS I have some 1mm rods and even they aren't thin enough to allow me to arc weld car sheet metal with confidence.