Plastic headlamp Lenses

Check out the use of tooth paste . . . . . . I know it sounds improbable, but there are reports of it working quite well in many cases. Same idea as T-cut but much less abrasive. I tried it on some 16 year old headlights and was quite impressed with the results.

(Edited to correct spelling error.)

Edited by Alfrom

I have this headlight restoration kit from Griot's Garage on my shelves awaiting a chance to try it. It has one thing I've not found in any other -- a UV-cured clearcoat for the freshly-polished headlight lens.

i-56qg76J-X2.jpg

Polycarbonate plastics used in headlights have terrific impact resistance but don't have very good weathering properties -- hence their tendency to yellow and craze (which in PCs is accelerated by water). Simply polishing the lens without protecting the fresh polymer will give a short term fix only.

At the very least I'd advise anyone polishing their lenses to apply a clearcoat -- rattlecan acrylic clear would be better than nothing. The UV-cured spray in the Griot's kit seems like just the ticket for durable protection of the polymer surface.

Coating has the additional advantage of leveling the surface of any remaining polishing marks. Note that the Griot's kit recommend a fine grit wet sandpaper.

Edited by Don H.

The air force used to use toothpaste for polishing perspex canopies in the Vampire days.

dentists use stuff called whiting for polishing acrylic, and jewellers' rouge also does the trick.

Suspect the 'modern' compounds contain similar ingredients.

Edited by littlejim

Hi John just cleaned the plastic lenes on my sons Renault Clio. Use 2000 or 2500 wet and dry then use good quality fine car polish and a suitable electric mop. You can do it by hand but its slow. Came up crystal clear and as new. I'm sure I've read you need to seal them to stop oxygen reacting with the polycarbonate, but cant remember what was recommended.

Just remember to put some marsking tape around the edge of the lens to protect the paint.

And dont use tooth paste, its not fine enough, consider the lens the same as paint to get high polish.

Mark

Edited by MRG1965

Plastic lens can only be rescued if not too far gone, dull and cloudy is ok, badly yellowed and crazing can't be rescued. Use something like 'G3' on a damp microcloth or an electric mop with plenty of water.

Once they're clear again protect with a decent polish but you WILL need to keep up the maintenence every six months or so.

Mike