Tr6 bonnet won't open

All you need is a broom handle.

The idea is to undo the bonnet hinge on the passenger side which is accessible by removing the front headlight and bowl and left the bonnet a few inches which allows you to get the broom handle in to push the released mechanism. Very simple job.

As I posted earlier I don't think that trick works on a 6 as the headlamp bowls are between the inner and outer wings unlike on the 4/4A where the bowls give access to the engine compartment.

Ernie has gone very quiet !

These bonnet catches seem to cause huge frustration and dispair. I am getting worried for Ernie !!!!! Has anyone heard from him ? Does anyone have his number, perhaps give him a call and check he is ok.

Perhaps he has been distracted

Now Ernie loved a widow

A lady known as Sue

She lived all alone in Linley Lane

At number twenty two

They said she was too good for him

She was haughty, proud and chic

But Ernie got his cocoa there

Three times every week.

I'll get my bonnet.

...and he rode the fastest TR in the west. Boom boom

Thanks to this thread and poor Ernie's experience I ordered and just fitted a Moss emergency Bonnet release, more tricky than on the TR4A as there is only a very small space on the 6 between the steering column and the rad hoses (about an inch) and impossible to drill the bulkhead from above but I guessed exactly right from underneath dividing the distance between a bolt and the rad hoses. Having fitted as per the instructions it is a smooth and efficient lever.

...is that a ghostly rattling of bottles I can hear? :mellow:

Hi Roger,

Gee thanks a bunch..I will get straight onto Moss and see if I can get an unjammer as well

Better stow a crow bar in the boot

Charles

Having read all that about not being able to open the bonnet, I had a look at my 1972 TR6carb. My Idea was to change the sheath, and if necessary, also the cable.

I have sucessfully changed the original sheath against a sheath from a bicycle rear brake Shimano on another TR6. These Shimano sheath are lined inside with teflon, which makes the cable move much easier than in the original steel-only sheath. And it does not rust.

The cable looked still perfect, except at the place where it was screwed to the mecanism. Once I had removed the cable, I was much surprised to find it damaged at the place, where it is just coming out of the sheath when not pulled. I put the cable in again and then realized, that you cannot see that damage when the cable is in its rest position. It is quite understandable that the cable is damaged at that place, because with the vibrations, it moves against the steel sheath continuously.

I wonder now, if those cables which break (and give all that trouble) break at that hidden place?

My suggestion: have a close look at your cable, and replace the sheath by a Shimano sheath.

Wilfried

Just fit the moss kit and forget the cable it's easier to use it to open the bonnet than the cable anyway and foolproof, best £14 I've spent.

Aarrrgh

had the same problem today

luckily I have a thin bit of wire looped through to the cockpit as a back up which popped the bonnet for me without me stressing to much

I had been cleaning and polishing the engine bay and found that I had knocked the tiny locking clip of the outer cable off the release mechanism bracket. Have pushed it back for now but need to make a more secure way of fixing the clip so that it does not happen again

KC

Anyway....does anyone else think the bonnet retaining catch is an annoying waste of time and a possible jamming item? Seems to me that if the bonnet were to open it wouldn't flip up unless you were doing 80 in reverse the forward movement air pressure would keep it down. :) Unless anyone can think of a good reason I will unbolt it tomorrow.

Has anyone heard from Earnie?

If you're referring to the secondary bonnet retaining catch I think you'll find a voluble lobby on here that will advise you to keep it. For my own part my catch doesn't have one so my view is moot.

Yes the secondary wiggle your fingers under the bonnet to fing thingamajig that's only purpose in life is to make you walk around the car to release it.

Anyway....does anyone else think the bonnet retaining catch is an annoying waste of time and a possible jamming item? Seems to me that if the bonnet were to open it wouldn't flip up unless you were doing 80 in reverse the forward movement air pressure would keep it down. :) Unless anyone can think of a good reason I will unbolt it tomorrow.

Has anyone heard from Earnie?

It is there so when you hit the front the bonnet doesnt come up and go through the screen and having seen a few stuffed in the front it does work.

Stuart.

It is there so when you hit the front the bonnet doesnt come up and go through the screen and having seen a few stuffed in the front it does work.

Stuart.

Yes, the bonnet catch is there to hopefully prevent this happening............

22898404_1X.JPG

Cheers

Andrew

Ok that is a good reason, it stays.

Thanks

Charles