Best spark plugs for TR6 CR?

Gents, I am thinking I should obtain a 'good' new set of plugs, and relegate my existing ones to the 'spares' box.

Does anyone have any information/experience on which plugs are best for a CR?

I know some owners prefer 'hot' plugs over the standard type.

Do they offer real benefit with the current 'paraffin' sold as 'quality' petrol?

I only run on 97/98 Ron, and 'minimal' additive.......

I have electronic ignition (no idea what model, fitted by PO), so was thinking of also adding a 'Dizzy Doctor' Red rotor arm and new sports coil into my equation??

Any/which coil is superior to a Lucas sports?

Any thoughts on that plan?

Thanks!

Hi John,

what make and number are your old plugs and what is wrong with them. Most people use the standard NGK plug.

Some electronic ignition units require matched coils - you need to find out what you have or possibly think about going back to points.

Roger

John

Due to older and imperfect manifolds my car runs a bit rich

It hated the EIX plugs, fouled them quickly then missed, farted and hiccuped continuously

Have a couple of spare sets of them

Be interested to hear your report as with new manifolds (on the way) they may be ok

I'm using the 3 electrode ones now and find them excellent

Graze

Hmmmm-which 3 electrode ones Graze? Mine's burping/farting/hiccuping as per the sooty thread. Injectors look ok but until I can return the airbox to stock I was going to try the EIX plugs in the offending cylinders...

Matt

Give me a day, car is in sisters garage a few kms away, will get it on Sunday and pm you

Graze

Hi Gents, thanks for the info.

RogerH, I will need to investigate the electronic ignition, it appears to be a Petronix 'Ignitor' (CARB E.O. D-57 2 printed on the label)

I have played with Lumenition previously, but not for ages, and recall coil type/condition were 'influential'!

My coil is labelled as "Super Gold" Standard 12v ignition coil. (is that a Moss supplied unit?)

Seems to work OK, but I do recall experimenting with 'High output / sports' coils some years ago, and being impressed by the different size of spark from the HT side?

Anyone have any views/experience there??

My plugs are NGK BP6E, which appear to be 'OK' (engine definately running a little rich, and predictably sootier the further back from #1/2, which in itself has started my brain ticking over airbox/airflow mods......) just wondered about 'better' ones??

What fun!!

Hi Peter.

I have (had?) the butterflies as well 'synched' as I possibly can, accounting for wear etc.

Just invested in a vacuum gauge to 'experiment' further, as my old carb balancer has expired.......

Throttle bodies will possibly also come off over the winter for a 'bench' set-up (so I may be on the lookout for an alignment jig!)

Have looked at the 'plug' thread, and will probably get some NGK BUR6ET s.

Also now feel I should have a Flamethrower coil, so will be 'shopping' later (just off to rob a bank first!).

Firstly though, I need to have a look at what I think is a 'finicky' # 4 injector.

If it's not one thing.........!!

Brrrrrm brrrmmmmm, bruup, bruuummmm!!

:rolleyes:

Hi John,

I haver been using a Flamethrower coil for a few years now. I got it from Dizzy Doctor.

Fantastic healthy spark at the plugs. I have opened the spark plug gap out to about 30thou and may try a little more.

Definitely very happy with it. I use NGK BP6ES on cylinders 1-4 and BP5ES on 5&6

Regards

Les

I had sooting plugs problem which was cured by having the butterflies adjusted after which the car pulls like steam train going over beachy head !

I run NGK BP6ES plugs, not sure about fancy plugs, additives and such I just try to keep the car regularly fettled.

Well, plugs are now in a bag awaiting fitting!

May well experiment with different ones in #5 and #6 now I have a 'selection'!

Coil on order....

What a pain it is there are no 'motor factors' anymore, where you can go and just buy this stuff!!

Bring back the old days, I say, when we used to all drive temperamental old cars......

Not like these days?

:lol:

BP6ES ran white in my Webered TR250 with P.I. cam and head. I've been using BP7ES for over 100K miles now. This is a " cooler " plug and the colour is grey / black. They will easily do 30K miles but I usually change them before that. Plugs are set to 0.030" vs. the factory's 0.025". I have the Lucas Sport coil and original distributor.

For richer mixtures as the P.I. tends to deliver ( from a preponderance of evidence here - not my own experience! ) the " hotter " 6s and 5s(!) seem to do the trick.

Cheers,

Tom